Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,435,118 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'll be moving out to Santa Fe in a few weeks, and I'm pretty excited about the move. I have been looking into apartments and one of the possible considerations that I have is being in a somewhat walk-able neighborhood, and I was hoping current residents could help me with some questions.

I see that the only two areas of town that have a high walk score is Old Town and what I believe is the Plaza area. However, I believe that the walk score only takes into to account proximity to amenities, and is not an actual indicator of pedestrian friendliness and/or activity. How's the street scene in these two areas and what and how walkable would you say these two areas are? I'm not expecting Brooklyn but something better than LA where you have to drive to go anywhere would be preferable.

Also, would you guys describe Santa Fe as being bicycle friendly? And how's the traffic and parking around the areas where shops, restaurants, and bars are concentrated?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,349 times
In a word?

No.

Santa Fe is not, sadly, bike friendly.

There are, however, some serious bike trails through/around town, but if you end up off the trails and on the roads, you need to be really, really careful. Basically everybody I know who has spent any significant time in SF on a bike has had a close call/incident with vehicles.

Personally, I've been yelled at by passing cars while pulling my kids in the bike trailer. We avoid the roads as much as possible now.

Now for the good news. City government is working hard, if not as effectively as we'd like, to make the city more bike/walk friendly.

Here's a view of their bike map.

[url]http://www.santafenm.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2573[/url]

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM

974 posts, read 2,333,128 times
" Old Town" may be referring to Albuquerque, not Santa Fe. The high walkability scores are likely here to be in the Plaza area and the Railyard neighborhood. Santa Fe has been ranked in the top 10 bike-friendly cities. Some of our drivers are a bit crazy, but there's a good rail trail and other bike routes that can get you into the central core pretty safely.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Santa Fe doesn't have an Old Town. All of downtown Santa Fe and surrounding areas are very walkable. There are bike lanes on arterials and side streets. If you avoid the main thoroughfares, you'll be fine for biking. The area west of downtown has lower rents, and is a gradually gentrifying area, you may look into that. I don't know how ok you'll be biking in 90+ degree heat, though. Summers are long and hot.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,287,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know how ok you'll be biking in 90+ degree heat, though. Summers are long and hot.
If the OP is used to living in Jacksonville, FL then I'm sure the OP will think SFe's "hot" days are perfectly mild for riding. The 0.00000000% humidity and temps that rarely ever hit 100+ will seem like nada.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
I can spend days walking Santa Fe. We stay in a B&B right near the Plaza every year and I see bikes. Although there seems to be a lot of traffic, they are slow and we walk for hours. Even jay walking with no problems.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM

380 posts, read 648,945 times
I've lived in the Railyard for a year. I wouldn't consider it very pedestrian-friendly -- the sidewalks are narrow and sometimes nonexistent, and they are extremely close to the road, which itself is very narrow. E.g., I'm not comfortable walking my dog on the sidewalks on Agua Fria. But the Plaza sidewalks are better.

As for biking, I'm consistently impressed with how many cyclists trust Bishops Lodge Road and Hyde Park Road. I'm not a cyclist, so I'm sure a lot of it has to do with confidence, but I'd never ride a bike up and down either. There's very little room, and it'd take just one careless (or drunk) driver a 6-inch mistake to send you flying.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
HUM I'll take a better look at where I am walking this September.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,435,118 times
This thread had me sorta wondering about the safety of cycling in Sante Fe.

Driving in Santa Fe

However, I don't think they can be any worse than Jersey drivers. I'll be able to check it out first hand soon enough!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,287,040 times
Dont live in fear - lost of folks cycle everyday in SFe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe