Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarket2 View Post
Early reports of the Jaroso Fire mention large areas of "blow-down". Can someone give me some information on how these areas came to be downed?
Quote:
Cause: Lightning

Fuels: Fire is burning in mixed conifer, heavy dead and down fuels with pockets of bug-killed trees. It is burning in a 1300-acre area of downed timber caused by a wind event six years ago

Size: Approx. 8,000 ac. The fire is being observed by air and the heavy smoke has made it difficult to determine the true size of the fire. After last night’s infrared flight, and a fly-over this morning a more accurate size has been determined. We believe the fire is now approximately 8,000 acres.
THE REPORT WITH MORE INFO HERE: Jaroso Fire Update – June 12, 2013, 10:30 a.m. | NM Fire Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
I hiked Aspen Vista last night and regret it. My lungs were killing me.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 AM

65 posts, read 127,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Apparently a windstorm caused trees to blow down. I don't remember reading anything about it when it happened.
Know approx when this happened?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Apparently a windstorm caused trees to blow down. I don't remember reading anything about it when it happened.
According to Inciweb it happened six years ago. NMFireInfo - "The 1,300 acre blow down was caused from a “microburst” (an intense, localized downdraft of air that spreads on the ground, causing rapid changes in wind direction and speed; a localized downburst) that uprooted trees and created a very dense pile up of trees."

I've seen some dust devils this year that made me glad I was viewing them in a car and not walking in them. They don't seem to be more powerful versions of the same thing since dust devils come from warm air rising and meeting cooler air.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I hiked Aspen Vista last night and regret it. My lungs were killing me.
Did it seem as bad lower down? I want to hike this weekend and was thinking Borrego-Bear Wallow. I wonder how the Dale Ball trails would be.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM

20 posts, read 36,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2014 View Post
I've watched news reports of the current fires but would like to hear from those of you living in SF - how are they affecting you?

Last year was pretty bad. I was living in a small apartment with bad air flow to begin with.
Opening the window and door was not an option.
Turning on the AC would be fine but it sucks in outside air = smoke.

You really could smell the smoke in town.

This year, right now, its bad but def not as last year.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickCity View Post
Turning on the AC would be fine but it sucks in outside air = smoke.
Most A/C's have a recirculating mode, which does not bring outside air in. Called "Turbo Cool" on oneand "Hi - Cool" on the other...

Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM

65 posts, read 127,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
According to Inciweb it happened six years ago. NMFireInfo - "The 1,300 acre blow down was caused from a “microburst” (an intense, localized downdraft of air that spreads on the ground, causing rapid changes in wind direction and speed; a localized downburst) that uprooted trees and created a very dense pile up of trees."
Sounds like in-line winds. They can be as damaging as tornados, but unlike tornados, where wind/debris is counterclockwise/circular; in-line winds show damage along a straight axis. Back in NJ, wind from the south was so strong that as it passed over our tiny, 200 ft "mountain", trees on the north side were flattened, all in the same direction (facing north). Also of interest, the damage was in the stream-beds and gullies where the wind dropped further (maybe another 30 feet) and accelerated as a result.

I'm sure that with true mountains, with sudden multi-100 ft changes in elevation, the phenomena leading to damage are complex and numerous.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM

20 posts, read 36,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Most A/C's have a recirculating mode, which does not bring outside air in. Called "Turbo Cool" on oneand "Hi - Cool" on the other...
Aha...but that lil apartment, pretty sure it didn't have that feature...hmmm don't recall anymore now..

Q's: You seem to active around here, can you create a Poll to find out Age group of people on this forum?
In 10 years increment: 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70-80, etc...
i tried creating but didn't see option to pick for those box for selecting those options.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Did it seem as bad lower down? I want to hike this weekend and was thinking Borrego-Bear Wallow. I wonder how the Dale Ball trails would be.
I didn't notice it on the drive up. The Aspen Vista hike itself was really bad though. I did Picacho tonight and it was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe