U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 AM

322 posts, read 656,970 times

Advertisements

mdmagana, to what do you attribute the high percentage of snob/jerk/douche-ness? Is it an affliction of being monied, or of having moved in from places where the norm includes a majority percentage of the above qualities, or of having moved to SF purely because it is "the" place to be?

Or -- and I ask this from a pure place of curiosity and in a quiet voice -- could it be that you're just ready to move on, not because of the jerk factor, but simply because the fit isn't what it perhaps once was for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,126,579 times
I agree Santa Fe is a different town and not for everyone. Does snobby mean they don't respond if you start a conversation? That happens more to me when I visit PA. In stores here strangers and clerks will talk to me. Last week in PA I made a comment about a local event going on to the sales clerk and she just looked at me like I was from another planet. I forgot ya don't talk to strangers out there. Contrast with last night at Sam's Club in Santa Fe. I had to replace my card and the woman in line before me laughingly made the comment she was doing the same thing and we had a lighthearted back and forth about it.

There is an element of folks here (typically Anglo, older, rich who show up at certain events) who seem to ignore anyone who doesn't look like them. I find it amusing more than anything. It seems normal human nature to hang out with people who reflect the identify you created for yourself (sounds boring to me but it's interesting to observe it.) I can only work on making sure I'm not the one being snobby to anyone who isn't like me. Maybe it's more obvious here than other places because of the size of the town and a wide variety of events that draw certain people out. Since anyone can attend you see people you might never meet otherwise. My daughter lives in PA across from the country club golf course. I saw them on the other side of the fence but that's as close as I got to rich folks there.

I think it can be very difficult to find your niche when you're from the middle class working/professional class. There is very little industry here and lots of retired people and the local Hispanic people have their social needs met thru family and long time friends. It's like that in PA too only it's the PA Dutch. I found my community by taking classes at the community college and Meet-ups.

Things I like about Santa Fe - perfect size for me--not too big or too small, sun in winter, no humidity or intense heat in summer, winters aren't too cold for long periods, lots to do for free, close hiking trails, mountains, views, my small open floor plan house on one floor with a 6' wall around the yard making living in the city much better, architecture, doesn't take long to drive to anything, inexpensive real estate taxes, inexpensive community college, a large variety of people, Farmer's Market, Rail Runner to ABQ.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:01 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,099,011 times
Dancingearth what you describe sounds good to me! I like meeting new people already know a lot like me so different is good. Smaller towns do seem friendlier, our neighbors just came to Asheville area from N.J. and keep saying people are so nice here, so friendly. Would hope to find same in S.F. has some similarities to Asheville. We have visited Abq. more often and found folks very nice even though a bigger city. Hope to get to both this fall for more comparisons and the food. Oh the food of New Mexico!! Is there a place in Santa Fe we should go, no need for fancy just really good.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 AM

6 posts, read 19,643 times
While driving around in Santa Fe, I realized the following:

"The ego of man tainted the spirit of the land."

Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM

967 posts, read 1,964,275 times
it's not just the ego of mankind, it's a natural human condition - each and every human on this earth changes the "natural spirit of the land." Some do it with a lighter touch than others. Compare Santa Fe with other cities around the country and you'll see that we try more than most others to celebrate the spirit of the land and attempt (in our feeble human ways) to maintain the uniqueness and quality of this beautiful land we inhabit.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 AM

6 posts, read 19,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
it's not just the ego of mankind, it's a natural human condition - each and every human on this earth changes the "natural spirit of the land." Some do it with a lighter touch than others. Compare Santa Fe with other cities around the country and you'll see that we try more than most others to celebrate the spirit of the land and attempt (in our feeble human ways) to maintain the uniqueness and quality of this beautiful land we inhabit.
My statement was not meant to single out Santa Fe and after recently returning from Las Vegas, NV, I agree even more with your comment When do you think Santa Fe will start building large skyscrapers?!

As for celebrating the spirit of the land, I love how I wake up to the sounds of birds chirping here! Yesterday alone I saw at least 5 large monarch butterflies!

I think when it comes to Santa Fe, people tend to idolize the city as the Holy Grail of Small Cities, and when people start to become aware of the city's imperfections (present in all cities), Santa Fe gets unfairly singled out!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 8,168 times
Thumbs down Yes, Santa Fe Is That Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Met someone visiting here from Santa Fe and so negative about it. Here are some of the complaints:very expensive, ridiculously strict building codes, pretentious people, drunk driving problems, lack of good medical, seems the list was endless. I have only visited but loved it and yes plaza area overpriced but it is what it is a tourist mecca rest seemed okay. I did see some overdone Santa Fe looking folks but assume there are normal folks too. The rest I don't know about. The only positive I got was natural beauty and accessibility to the outdoors. Have thought about S.F. or Abq. as final retirement destination but left wondering after all the negatives I heard. Hopefully not as bad as portrayed.
I am here to tell you that I moved to Santa Fe in 2003. Santa Fe is dirty. People are snobby and mean. It's overpriced and expensive. There's nothing to do. It's overrated. The only thing worth talking about that makes Santa Fe tolerable is the downtown Plaza. Occasionally you'll run into the nice natives but they remain secluded. Every now and then they venture out and you remember why you moved there in the first place. This is a statistic: most that move to New Mexico either love it or hate it regardless of where you are. The life span of a transient is 3 years, tops. Save your money and just visit and make your stays long enough to where you say to yourself, "Yah, I could live here." But don't uproot and move. I hate New Mexico and I've been here for 10 years. Why don't I leave? I actually have. I go back off and on but I don't call it home any more. Gas is expensive. Groceries. The people in the state are being ripped off. If you go to other places you will find that all along you have been deceived on what things really cost. You can go to Walmart in, say, Tennessee and buy a bottle of vitamins for $12 bucks. In NM that same bottle will cost you $25. Officials say that it's because it's harder to get things to the state but it isn't a foreign country! Truckers pass through all of the time. It's not like it's out of their way. I moved to New Mexico 10 years ago because it was known to be the poorest state in the nation (still is). Things were somewhat affordable then. No longer. The reasons are evident to leave by the masses that are moving elsewhere. NM is not what it used to be. It's a blue state as well and blue states are oppressive. Rights are being taken away slowly there. Traffic is horrendous. Drivers are terrible. Try to get health insurance. It's limited and expensive. Any type of insurance in NM is expensive. 75% of people living there drive without insurance. The uninsured motorist coverage is incredible and if you don't get it and someone without insurance hits you? Your insurance company won't cover the damage. There are nicer people elsewhere. I'm not talking just snobs there. The state is so oppressed you can see it in the faces of the people living there. They don't enjoy where they work, what they do. They don't enjoy life. It's a downer to experience this place even as a tourist. And how rude they are to tourists!!! I'm not sure why Santa Fe or any town in New Mexico is on the map but the only thing that the state has going for it are the movies they film and the folks that come out of that. Other than that, New Mexico is an armpit. Don't waste your money. Just visit.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 100,516 times
Default big government is relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
If you are liberal and crave big government, it is the place for you.
Like most generalizations, it's degree of truth is a function of what you are comparing it to.

Lots of people who don't want a lot of government in their lives have characterized Santa Fe this way to me. But we moved here from NJ and I've been shocked at how different it feels to me.

Now, I'm sure it depends on what your dealings are with the government. In our case, before we left, we had to deal with the NJ DEP. The regulations were frighteningly strict, unscientific, inflexible and hugely expensive to comply with.

I also noted the contrast between road construction projects in NJ and here. They're rapping up a major rework of a major intersection here on the north side of Santa Fe. I drive by/through at least once every day. The first shocker was that everyone was working! Also shocking was that when they rerouted traffic temporarily, it was easy to adjust, well signed, etc. No comparison to NJ where I have never seen a project start on time, there were long periods of no apparent progress, and lots of people standing around.

Watch for a future post in which I reverse myself because I've run afoul of something here, but (fingers crossed) not so far.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM

255 posts, read 546,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basha0810 View Post
Any type of insurance in NM is expensive. 75% of people living there drive without insurance.
We moved from Austin to Salt Lake City and our insurance went down. When we moved form SLC to ABQ and our auto insurance rates went further down. Our home in utah was located in an upper class historic neighborhood with no crime, and our home in ABQ was in the far NE side of town with no visible issues as well. From what I understand it was due to the number of hazardous driving days.

Last time I checked, the NM uninsured rate was 26%, coming in second behind Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basha0810 View Post
Other than that, New Mexico is an armpit.
Agree here, but SF is more akin to a freshly shaven armpit.

Last edited by atxzj; 07-13-2013 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 02:35 PM

471 posts, read 787,674 times
I have mentioned before my views of Santa Fe, it would not be the place for me. Have found that all the culture and supposed history downtown is all about the money, kind of like the Alamo in San Antonio where the interior is just one big gift shop...If you don't have it or don't want to spend it, a lot of folks would just soon have you move it along...Take as an example the art festival a previous poster mentioned is moving to Santa Fe because they hope better dressed, cultured, and richer folks will show up. I guess being an artist today is also just about the money; having people who appreciate your talent and skill is does not have any value if they also are not getting out their wallets. Most of SF outside the downtown is very typical in it's retail and traffic, nothing that would make you really want to come back or move here, you can find those chain drugs stores on the corner anywhere..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe