Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I'm not a realtor, so I can tell you that this state has some of the worst public schools in the nation. I have known people to have moved out of New Mexico when they had children, because our education system is so poor.
Isn't that all the reason for the best teachers to want to locate here? Quite a challenge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 PM

70 posts, read 214,148 times
Yes Towanda, I Do Want To Move To New Mexico For Just That Reason. I'm Needed. With 20 Years Of Inner City Experiance And The Last 10 At A Top School In Phila., I'm Ready To Jump To A New Experiance. Bacich

Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Isn't that all the reason for the best teachers to want to locate here? Quite a challenge...
I suppose. I think all teaching is a challenge though....New Mexico is more than a challenge then.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,027 times
i too just moved here and found it is worth (whatever your economic backgrod) if you care about high quality education and avoiding social problems- looking into rio grande and other private schools - they offer financial aid/scholarships if needed. my entire family went to public schools but after speaking w/ many educators here, this city is going thru major transitions and is it worth rolling the dice till they get it right? i see your post is older but it's still an issue in santa fe

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM

101 posts, read 503,590 times
Please take this for what it is - annecdotal evidence from my perspective only. Everyone's take on this will vary.

I am a HUGE fan of public schools. I am the product of public schools, and have been very successful both in education and life.

IMHO, Santa Fe public high schools are not the best place for learning good things. In fact, it is one significant reason why I am moving my family out of the state. Santa Fe high schools have violence problems (not big gangs, but violence and crime no less), drug problems, and problems with underage pregnancy. There are regular reports in the newspaper about schools being locked down for violence on school grounds. There are regular reports in the newspaper about rings of thieves with a large presence in the high schools. Even stories about students throwing rocks at random teachers. Walk through the mall on any given Saturday and see how many underage mothers are there.

I know these issues happen everywhere (I've lived in several states and dozens of different cities over my life), but they seem particularly concentrated in Santa Fe, particularly in the high schools. I don't think the private schools would be any better, honestly. Maybe at school there would be less violence, but how many times this summer have we read about teenagers being shot because they were dating a gangbanger's ex-girlfriend?

I hate to be so negative, it doesn't come easily to me. But for your children you need an honest assessment. As I said this is from my perspective, and others will likely have a different take. Your best bet is to get out here and check it out for yourself. Talk to people that are actually in the high schools (my kids aren't that old yet, and elementary schools are much better around here). Look for police blotters online, or go talk to the police about neighborhoods and schools. Just do your homework.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:26 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellerua View Post
I'm currently interviewing for a position in Santa Fe, and am very excited about the possibility. I have two children, one elementary age and one high school age. The older one has some issues in school already, borderline grades and a tendency to gravitate toward trouble. We live in a pretty nice area in Pittsburgh and I'm slightly concerned about what he may find in Santa Fe to get into. Does anyone know details about the education there? It's a major factor as I move forward in the interview process.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Michelle

You didn't mention what specifics you were concerned about and we can't read your mind either. You said your son has a problem with gravitating towards trouble. There is trouble in every high school. Sure, some may have more gangs than others, but he's still going to see SOMETHING. No high school is going to have zero gangs, zero drugs, zero fights, -OR- zero trouble makers EVER. If the bigger problem is your son being able to stay away from trouble, wherever and whatever it may be, then it might be beneficial for him to get some outside help. Something that will help him with his grades and his ability to make better choices.

The only type of high school I could suggest is maybe a private or charter school with a low B.S. tolerance. I don't know much about elementary schools in Santa Fe. Sorry.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,729 times
As a parent of an 8th grader I can say we were very pleased with my son's public school elementary education - he was in Wood Gormley from K - 6th - but unfortunately we did not consider sending him to public middle school. He's in a great local private school now, and that's where he'll probably stay till he goes off to college.

By the way, it looks like the original poster moved to Denver, and didn't come here after all.

Last edited by santafescribe; 08-23-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: update

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
As a parent of an 8th grader I can say we were very pleased with my son's public school elementary education - he was in Wood Gormley from K - 6th - but unfortunately we did not consider sending him to public middle school. He's in a great local private school now, and that's where he'll probably stay till he goes off to college.

By the way, it looks like the original poster moved to Denver, and didn't come here after all.
And the Original Poster last logged on to City-Data on 09-25-2008.

Yes, it is an old thread, started on 11-13-2007...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe