U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:40 AM

502 posts, read 356,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I got the statistics from City-Data, which is this site... You can believe whoever you wish. But you are not allowed to list certain sites. If you don't trust or believe me, check with Yac or Marka.

When we moved here in the 90's it was a promotion for my wife to a job in Albuquerque (ABQ) and that is why we bought a house in the ABQ area, not Santa Fe. I stayed behind for a while living in PA and working out of the DC area. Then we also bought in Rio Rancho as some family members followed us. I eventually started the 1,800 mile work commute to DC and other places from ABQ. I needed a major airport to fly out of. Contrary to what some say Santa Fe does not have a full service airport...

My family income? A bit nosey. It varied, calculate a Federal GS-11 with 10 years service in with benefits for my wife in 1998. I had a pension and I worked as a consultant earning "enough"...

Its not that I don't believe you or mistrust you, I was just presenting contradictory data that better fits my experience, and the experience of many others. Why do so many people think Santa Fe is expensive if it isn't expensive? Is it part of some conspiratorial slur campaign against Santa Fe or something? I think Santa Fe is a beautiful city, but it seems expensive to me.

GS-11 salary is well above average for New Mexico, I'm sure. If I was GS-11 I could definitely live in Santa Fe, even as a single person. If I was part of a couple with a second income, it would be even easier. While I'm sure you feel like "an average guy", you probably were not average income family for New Mexico.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-26-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 AM

22,315 posts, read 33,192,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Its not that I don't believe you or mistrust you, I was just presenting contradictory data that better fits my experience, and the experience of many others. Why do so many people think Santa Fe is expensive if it isn't expensive?
From the Terms of Service: " Links to competitors' sites are treated differently than other links and are likely to be deleted. "

It is probably the most expensive city in New Mexico, which is a poor state.

There are some expensive estates, ranches, some owned by the rich and famous.

Quote:
Is it part of some conspiratorial slur campaign against Santa Fe or something? I think Santa Fe is a beautiful city, but it seems expensive to me.
This is the internet. People can pretty much say anything they desire. City-Data is heavily moderated, but it can't filter out the errors, opinions etc.

Quote:
GS-11 salary is well above average for New Mexico, I'm sure. If I was GS-11 I could definitely live in Santa Fe, even as a single person. If I was part of a couple with a second income, it would be even easier. While I'm sure you feel like "an average guy", you probably were not average income family for New Mexico.
She got promoted from that grade after starting as a Part-Time GS-2 many years previous. It was a goverment paid move. And I had been to various parts of the Southwest over the years. White Sands in 1968. But her job was on Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, Not Santa Fe... The job also involved travel, which was good and bad.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-08-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 PM

2,893 posts, read 1,562,359 times
Santa Fe is a nice place to visit -- you can immerse yourself in the mythic Santa Fe lifestyle for a few days. Check out the galleries, museums and take in the opera. You can eat at the fine restaurants and bars. Go skiing or hiking up in the pretty mountains. That lifestyle -- that appeals to the magazine readers -- isn't really sustainable for the average family and I suspect that most folks living there don't spend a lot of time at the opera -- PTA and soccer practice and the commute to work get in the way. I'll go up to Santa Fe two or three times a year for an event and spend 30 minutes or more just trying to get through the place to find a place to park. I'm quite happy that all that lifestyle stuff is there just like I'm glad they keep the animals at the zoo...I'll go visit when I want but I don't want to deal with it all the time.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:03 PM

60 posts, read 96,954 times
If you are here for an "event" the parking will be tighter than normal. However, as a resident, first, I know where the parking garages are that the tourists don't as well as alternatives to park in. Also, a few blocks from the plaza parking is almost always plentiful. It is just that as a tourist, people don't know about these things.

Best place ever to live - just don't go telling everyone!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 PM

502 posts, read 356,028 times
Thanks for referring to the terms of service. I didn't realize the commercial nature of the website that hosts this forum. I think I better understand now why opinions, information and evidence that might be considered counter-productive to commercial interests seem to be frowned upon, and argued against, by administration here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
From the Terms of Service: " Links to competitors' sites are treated differently than other links and are likely to be deleted. "

It is probably the most expensive city in New Mexico, which is a poor state.

There are some expensive estates, ranches, some owned by the rich and famous.

This is the internet. People can pretty much say anything they desire. City-Data is heavily moderated, but it can't filter out the.

She got promoted from that grade after starting as a Part-Time GS-2 many years previous. It was a goverment paid move. And I had been to various parts of the Southwest over the years. White Sands in 1968. But her job was on Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, Not Santa Fe... The job also involved travel, which was good and bad.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:32 PM

22,315 posts, read 33,192,370 times
Quote:
Thanks for referring to the terms of service. I didn't realize the commercial nature of the website that hosts this forum. I think I better understand now why opinions, information and evidence that might be considered counter-productive to commercial interests seem to be frowned upon, and argued against, by administration here.
Take it up with Yac or Marka, Senior Moderators. It is off topic here in this thread or this forum.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,095,396 times
I've lived in SF now for eight months. I came for a state job that pays on the mid-to-higher end of state jobs, and my husband brought his work with him (IT). Our two salaries, our no-consumer-debt lifestyle, and our understanding that we're NOT going to live "Santa Fe" as the monied folks and tourists do makes it workable for us. In exchange we get a wonderful climate, an aesthetically-pleasing town, very interesting fellow citizens, and interesting/important work for me.

I agree with the detractors that housing costs are high in relation to income. But you'd find the same thing in any "resort" town, which, for better or for worse, Santa Fe is. It's not just young single folks who find they're not able to live here the way they lived elsewhere. There are simply sacrifices to be made across the board when it comes to housing.

As a buyer, you might not be in as large of a house, or as in a desired a location, or with the level of finishes you might have been accustomed to elsewhere. As a renter, you might be further "out" than you want to be, or if close-in, in a bit scruffier place than you'd like. You also may need to consider a roommate. But, again, that's to be expected in a destination city. It just is.

Last edited by jakabedy; 10-26-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe