Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 36,413 times

Advertisements

I live towards the mall and when I go to Albertsons at the end of Zia Rd, I am almost always approached in the parking lot, going and coming. Then when you drive out of the lot, there is always someone at the stop sign. I recognise all the various people by now and there are about 6-7 that work the lot, one is a woman. Strange as it seems, they seem to take turns. I wonder if they all live ( or commute in) together. Strangly, I've never seen anyone give them a thing. Though people must, or why would they stay??

Then it's pretty frequent at Trader Joes, always the same couple guys. I wonder if being with your husband gives you "protection"? I'm always on my own- single women are probably easier marks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 36,413 times
Also the Walgreens right across the street .

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greycar View Post
I wonder if being with your husband gives you "protection"? I'm always on my own- single women are probably easier marks.
Well, maybe so, but still wouldn't I see them on street corners and in parking lots? I am a pretty observant person, and I have been to all the places you have mentioned and I have never seen anyone I would suspect of being a panhandler...or never seen anyone approached. The fact that I am with my husband doesn't mean I'm not alert to my surroundings.

People occasionally (rarely) in parking lots or restaurants trying to sell things, yes -- but never begging for money. Never seen it once. Interesting. Oh well. I can only give information to people about Santa Fe if I know it to be true. (Thanks for responding with your observations...)

Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,338 times
Quote:
1. The people-are they friendly? How about racism? I'm white and have heard white people are occasionally discriminated against.
2. Crime? Ugliness? By that I mean ghettos, slums, gang bangers and their bull****..we have alot that in San Diego and I can't wait to leave that behind.
3. Nature and scenery? I'm a very outdoorsy kind of guy and access to nature isn't a preference, it's a necessity. I'd hope it's not all desert there. Trees? Mountains? Hiking and camping? That sort of thing.
Entertainment? Resturaunts? Movies? I don't really spend much time at malls or plazas so don't care about that...just where to get the basics-groceries etc....
Welcome to Santa Fe! I think like most residents you will come to enjoy the cosmopolitan, small-town atmosphere.

Residents of Santa Fe are very friendly. Though many stay away from the plaza, many come out on early weekend mornings to eat a hearty New Mexican breakfast and a little people watching.

In terms of crime, I would not worry. Small petty crime exist but nothing to lose sleep over. I am sorry that the Santa Fe forum has become littered with crime and protection threads. Believe me, it is not neccesary to bring with you a machine gun. lol Obviously Santa Fe did not become world famous do to its infamous crime.

In terms of nature and scenery I think that is a given. Even the city is scenic itself. Take a bike up some random winding street or stroll around the East side Canyon Rd. area. Beautiful mountain scenery and activities are pleantiful. Try the Enchanted Circle up towards Red River, the High and even Low roads to Taos, and the back road up Sandia peak overlooking Albuquerque.

In regards to Restaurants if you can't find any decent ones then you are probably living in a different Santa Fe. For a town of 70k, Santa Fe holds its own hands down. I really love the Vanassie on Water St., just off the plaza. Great place for a date or to relax. Also, I think a new movie theatre is opening up in the Railyard district.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 11,679 times
Default Moving to Santa Fe

I will be moving to Santa Fe in July or August 2009 to attend graduate school. I'm thinking of buying a house in the Airport Road area. Does anyone live there? I am single and am looking for a safe neighborhood. The Airport Road area seems to have the least expensive houses. Does anyone have any other suggestions, guidances? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,363 times
I don't live in the Airport Rd area, but several on this forum do, and they'll affirm that it's an affordable, safe place to live by and large. Just last week I saw a bunch of homes in that area and there are good values to be had - I showed my client two new homes for less than $200k, which is a rarity in this town...
If you're single, you might also want to think about a condo or townhouse closer to downtown - you'll get less square footage of course, but you might gain in convenience, if you want to be closer in. There are several good townhome/condo developments to consider.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 AM

5 posts, read 11,679 times
Thank you. Condo have too many fees, and I'm already working with a realtor. I have to weigh my options and see if renting or buying makes the most sense. Buying seems to be cheaper than renting at this point. Have a nice day.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,363 times
You're right - in this market and at the $200k-$250 price point it's better to buy, if you're planning to stay here for more than a few years. If you're uncertain, or you have a less than 3 yr timeframe, I'd rent.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
I'm single and have lived near Airport Road since last July. I feel safe and like my house. Great price for the space.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,005 times
K.... like Santa Fe is okay... Because i moved from Los Angeles, California.... But Santa Fe can be dangerous... But i moved to Angel Fire, New Mexico... there is peace and quit you don't have to worry about anything hurting you... my brother and sister are always in the streets like crazy... And nothing has ever happen to them... ANGEL FIRE IS A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE AT!!! I PROMISE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe