Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM

48 posts, read 89,889 times

Advertisements

My experience is that homes below 400K are available but please include a budget of 20K for renovations and or replacements. This is my recent experience. Rancho Viejo is a nice area. We don't like Eldorado too much because all houses are on septic and well water. I would NEVER buy in an area without covenants. They can be a hassle but there are some horror stories about county neighborhoods blighted without resolution. Agreement with other responders here: Stick if you can until you have retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,278 times
Default well water

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowidle View Post
We don't like Eldorado too much because all houses are on septic and well water.
Towanda can correct me but I am fairly sure that they have a communal water system there in Eldorado. It seems like it has been in the newspaper quite a bit. It may be that some of the surrounding communities in the area rely upon individual wells.

What with the trends in water prices -- racheting up rapidly in many of the areas around here -- I feel lucky to have an individual well. Water prices are the local politicians' dream -- they can increase prices and pretend they are doing this to encourage conservation.

Most household water around here ultimately comes from wells -- individual and communal. Soon some should start coming from the Rio Grande. Have you looked closely at the river? That is another reason I'm glad I have a well.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM

101 posts, read 503,550 times
Eldorado has a mix of private wells and homes on the community water system. It's a real municipal system though, not just a collective of users. Under control of Eldorado, not Santa Fe, but prices are high in comparison. All of the homes are septic, but I've never had a problem with that.

Last edited by old bird; 09-13-2010 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: unneccesary comments

Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
Towanda can correct me but I am fairly sure that they have a communal water system there in Eldorado. It seems like it has been in the newspaper quite a bit. It may be that some of the surrounding communities in the area rely upon individual wells.

What with the trends in water prices -- racheting up rapidly in many of the areas around here -- I feel lucky to have an individual well. Water prices are the local politicians' dream -- they can increase prices and pretend they are doing this to encourage conservation.

Most household water around here ultimately comes from wells -- individual and communal. Soon some should start coming from the Rio Grande. Have you looked closely at the river? That is another reason I'm glad I have a well.
Yes Eldorado is on community water. There is talk of putting meters on all wells in the county. Of course they've been talking about that for a while.

The City of Santa Fe's water company's goal is to eventually reduce the number of wells on Buckman to rest them. That's where the Rio Grande treatment plant comes in.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,252 times
Default Relocating to Santa Fe -- Many Questions

Hi. I am wanting to relocate to Santa Fe. I am self-employed and work consulting so go into people's homes and help them with pet behavior issues. Most of my client base is middle class, single professionals, families, suburbanites et. al.

I rent so also am looking for a location and the characteristics of neighborhoods that are either in these areas and are easily drivable to these neighborhoods/sections as well.

Would love to have a sense of the character and different neighorhoods/areas in and around Santa Fe -- student sections, run down -- avoid sections, single professionals, soccer moms/suburbs and so on, since I will be having to do much of this long distance. I will be speaking with a realtor for rentals but need to gather good info.

I am wanting to live in a clean safe neighborhood that is residential -- not night life (I'm over 30) and work from home, and not where every street is a mixed bag.

I come from the city -- east coast, boston area and am familiar with NY and LA, and a bit of Seattle -- but not at all familiar with the Santa Fe culture or neighborhoods.

Also don't know how close Taos is from Santa Fe and what the population is like there.

Thanks for any help or input.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
I would spend some time there before making a final move. I think in your case it wouldn't be easy making a living. GL.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM

293 posts, read 971,192 times
I have no idea what the pet behavior market here is, but be advised... SF has very little middle class. We're a city of rich or poor. Many people have second homes here or have retired and don't need to work. On the other hand, there are lots of families that struggle to get by on tourism industry (hotels, fast food, etc.) wages. Other than the state government and a handful of small companies, we don't have many professionals. And... there are no suburbs here. SF is a small city with only 60,000 people.

You could work with the wealthier people who have pets... but your stated niche (middle class, professional, suburban) really doesn't exist here.

All that negative stuff aside, look into South Capitol as a neighborhood. It's residential, safe, clean, nice, and has a fair amount of rentals. From what I've read on here, I think going prices are about $1500 for a two bedroom.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Hm -- thank you very much for your help on that. I knew about the population size but not about the other (clearly). Nobody has ever mentioned that before.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
You may try posting a description of what you do on the Santa fe Scoop Santa Fe Scoop and see what type of feedback you get from the dog community.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Very good idea. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe