Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times

Advertisements

Dancingearth ~

We have done our homework in regards to Eldorado because I also want to feel safe in my home.

Although there is a small amount of crime there, nearly everyone we talked to has told us that Eldorado is still a very safe area. Much of the "crime" involves minor traffic violations and some minor vandalism, but often at places like the school, community shared areas, and dogs not being leashed and biting.....all of which they are working on very seriously because safety is one reason many people move into Eldorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM

150 posts, read 792,216 times
Hi Everyone:
Pecos, and Glorieta are both in beautiful areas of pinon, and pines near Glorieta Pass, former landmark on the Santa Fe Trail, and site of New Mexico's biggest battle during the Civil War. Pecos is a very small town, and Glorieta even smaller. North of Pecos lies some of New Mexico's most beautiful wilderness areas, perfect for hiking, camping, fishing, or horseback & llama pack trips. This is also the headwaters of the Pecos River, which ambles south down to the Rio Grande in West Texas eventually. Nice trout stream! There are many picnic, and camping areas north of Pecos. Also, Pecos National Monument...ruins of a once large, and important Native American pueblo, and Spanish Mission. The SFT passed just on it's south side.
As another writer said...there is more "open" range lands for horses, between I-25 and Lamy. For others considering the Albuquerque area...w/horses...consider Corrales, NM along the Rio Grande, in far northern Albuquerque...Los Lunas in the South Valley, or the "booming" land sites on the east side of the Sandia & Manzano Mountains (adjacent to Alb. on the west side)...around Edgewood, NM.
If you want open spaces, and abundant sunshine without the humidity...this is the place! Happy trails!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
I knew someone who got rear ended stopping for a pedestrian at the school. he got cited for a traffic violation! Some people drive too fast on that road going out. Small things. I miss the Eldorado skies. The quietest place I ever lived (only those damn mowers disrupted it and the lights from people who were uncomfortable with the dark and had to leave them on all night.) Enjoy!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 43,090 times
Default Move To Santa Fe?

Hey folks:

I'm from NYC. Lived here all 33 years of my life. I've pretty much been sick of it since around age 22, but, this is a good place for someone to make money in the service industries.

I'm 100% sure I want to relocate to the Southwest. I have done internet research for the past year (off and on) of Las Vegas (And surrounding suburbs) and cities in Arizona.

I am starting to think that Santa Fe may be better for me. The heat is less extreme and the quality of life seems to be a just a bit better, save for Scottsdale, which I cannot afford.

I wanted to know things like:

Santa Fe vs. Alburquerque: Pros and Cons
Taxes
Crime
Real Estate (Heard South Capitol is nice, but pricey) Where would you suggest moving? Prices for a nice, secure, 2BR condo with some amenities?
Jobs (I am a Security Guard here in NY and actually do OK.....)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM

Well, I am not a resident of Santa Fe, but I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for Santa Fe at this site.

My husband and I have owned property in Eldorado(southwest part of the city) for 15 years, and we will be retiring there in the coming year.

Here is my list of likes and dislikes in Santa Fe:

Pros:
- Gorgeous setting in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
- Great climate, if you love four seasons ... not real hot in the summer, and a little snow in the winter (USUALLY...this past winter doesn't count . Low humidity.
- Great place for outdoor lovers; so many things to do outdoors in and around the Santa Fe area.
- AWESOME intense blue skies and incredible sunsets.
- GREAT New Mexican restaurants
- Lots of cultural venues - the Santa Fe Opera, museums, art galleries.
- Wonderful rich Indian-Hispanic culture and history to learn about.
- Not too far to drive to Albuquerque or Taos, which I also love...as well as the Enchanted Circle up to Angel Fire, Red River, Eagle Nest.
- Laid back pace of life.
- Pueblo architecture which fits into the setting of the city and makes it look even more special.

Cons:
- Very expensive..probably priciest area of the state.
- Lots of tourists downtown (I avoid that area)
- Some stores and restaurants that are VERY expensive (but I avoid those too.)
- A little isolated if you like to travel by air - requires a drive to Albuquerque, although the news last week is that Santa Fe Airport will start having some regional flights to Dallas, LA and Salt Lake City starting soon. <--Not sure I like that "improvement" as it will change the small town feel of the city.
- I am a sports lover, and there are no college/pro sports in Santa Fe. (But we can drive to ABQ for basketball at The Pit and for Isotopes games.)

In my opinion, the pros FAR outweigh any cons.

Good luck with your decision.

I can tell you one thing....ANY place in NM beats Las Vegas, NV.

~~Sharon

Last edited by Towanda; 07-30-2007 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Thanks Towanda:

Actually, the cultural aspects of the city aren't really too appealing to me. They certainly don't repel me, but, I'm simply not into stuff like that. I am just looking for a place that is safe, clean, and quiet, but that still has a job market and a little bit of a nightlife.

I was wondering if you can tell me the names of some of the nice neighborhoods in Santa Fe. How much would I be paying for a condo or a starter house there? I read somewhere (maybe on here) that there is an appallingly high poverty rate. Where are these poor people? I want to be far away from them. I am leaving NY to escape the poverty and the rowdiness.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Leaving NY:

I can't really answer your questions. Someone else will have to respond to them.

I am really only familiar with Eldorado subdivision, which is SE of the city off Hwy 285. That area is quiet and feels rural and is pretty safe and is getting a few stores and restaurants in the area. It is about 15 minutes to Santa Fe. The costs of existing homes and building new homes has gone up dramatically in the past few years.

In the city itself, I don't know a lot about costs of homes or condos.

I am anxious to see what information others might have for you.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Yeah. I am actually interested in living in the actual city, as opposed to the outskirts. I want to live pretty close to St. Vincent's Hospital, but I am pretty sure that is going to cost me an arm and a leg. You've been pretty helpful, though. Thanks for that. I, too, eagerly await more responses.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Leaving NY:

One more question for you:

Have you ever been to Santa Fe or any part of New Mexico?

I was a 24 year old New Yorker when I first moved to Albuquerque many years ago....and it was love at first sight for me. I was enchanted with the absolutely incredible scenery, the brilliant blue sky, the climate, the architecture, the various cultures in the state, and the FOOD (I had never even heard of green chile when I first came to NM....had never had even a taco before ) Despite the culture shock, I embraced all of it and have loved the state for nearly 40 years now.

BUT...I have learned it is not for everyone. We had some visitors from New York the year that we lived in ABQ - and they were clearly not impressed....they didn't like all the brown and the lack of green grass and huge trees and the spareness and starkness of it all. Some people like the desert and some don't.

Santa Fe is a little more green than ABQ, and in either city you can go up in the nearby mountains and see huge trees. But I would suggest a visit to the area if you are considering a move .... just to see if you are one of the people like me who fell instantly in love with NM, or like my relatives, who did not. It is very different from NY, both the city where you are, and upstate NY where I grew up. And it's not for everyone.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 AM

Default a gat

Admittedly, I have never been to New Mexico.

I am attracted to the idea of moving to Santa Fe, as it is a small city with good climate and low crime and jobs that pay reasonably well. I am not terribly particular about being "impressed" by architecture or whatever. One thing I DO NOT want is a place to sparse or rural. That is why I wouldn't want to live on the outskirts of Santa Fe (Even though within 15 years, they probably will not be outskirts any longer).

I'm basically just a lower-middle class guy who has always hated NY and is looking for some dry heat and tranquility. Looking to spend between 150K and 220K on a 2BR Condo or a 1300-1500 sq. ft. starter home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe