U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 46,729 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm from the beautiful state of Vermont. Love the mountains, love the liberal people, but don't love the long, dark, cold winters.

I've never been to Santa Fe, or NM for that matter, but hear it is a beautiful place to be. My top criteria for relocating are: affordability (relative I know), access to outdoor rock climbing (a must), and liberal.

I'm interested in the Santa Fe area due to proximity to mountains, Taos, and greenery in general.

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback about the Santa Fe area, surrounding towns, rock climbing venues and social life in general.

Thanks for the insight!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM

8,397 posts, read 11,003,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_leary
I've never been to Santa Fe, or NM for that matter, but hear it is a beautiful place to be.
You should definitely visit before you take the plunge.

Quote:
My top criteria for relocating are: affordability (relative I know),
Santa Fe is the most expensive part of the state. By far. How that compares to Vermont, I don't know. Santa Fe has been a haven for artists, filmmakers, and actors for years. Lots of big Hollywood names have homes up there, and it has driven up real estate prices. Santa Fe is not an affordable place to live, in my mind, unless you are fairly well off already.

Quote:
access to outdoor rock climbing (a must), and liberal.
Rock climbing shouldn't be too hard to find, and liberal is a relative term. New Mexico in general is a really conservative place (especially compared to Vermont), but Santa Fe is considered one of the most liberal parts of the state.

Quote:
I'm interested in the Santa Fe area due to proximity to mountains, Taos, and greenery in general.
Mountains you'll have. Taos you'll gave. Greenery? Well, compared to the eastern plains and western deserts of New Mexico, Santa Fe is green. Compared to Vermont? You'll think you're in the desert. Santa Fe is really dry.

If you want to get a rough idea of what the area is like, go rent the old Lawrence Kasdan movie Silverado. It was filmed around Santa Fe. I think the Young Guns films were filmed around there, too, but sitting through those movies is kind of torturous.

I know I suffer from a certain amount of the grass is greener on the other side, but myself, I'd pick Vermont over New Mexico any day of the week. Yes, you'll get a milder winter in New Mexico, but you'll also be getting widespread poverty and high crime. The food is great though.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 AM

828 posts, read 3,489,366 times
Default Santa Fe

I agree with Mark S., it is an expensive city so I hope you have the money to live there but if you have the money, it can be a great place to live. About the liberal part. I don't know what you mean by that. It you mean a democrat with a middle of the road type of belief then Santa Fe and NM are good for you but if you mean pro homosexual, pro abortion, ultra left, then NM is not in line with that as most are Catholic here and those are no-nos to the Pope. I know gays though who live in Santa Fe and Taos, so they live here and all but to think the whole state or even whole city is behind that, you will be surprised to see you aren't in the majority. Santa Fe has a lot of culture, art and such. You should rent a place, though it will be high, for a year and see if it is your forte and if not, no major harm done. If you want to live in a liberal city, Durango, Colorado is probably one of the most liberal in the area. It is just north of the N.M. border.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 05-23-2006 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 46,729 times
Hey, thanks for the insight. I will visit at some point at least to check out the climbing. And you're right, the grass is always greener on the other side. I do like Vermont, but the weather can be sort of a downer. Long stretches of cruddy weather make me ancy. Anyway, it sounds like the key is to have lots of money and have lots of vacation homes.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 280,420 times
Default Santa Fe

If you do not move to Santa Fe, then you must visit in September for the burning of the Zozobra. It is one our favorite annual cultural traditions. It happens every year right before the state fair begins. We build a 30 foot puppet and light it on fire when the sun goes down. You can hear him scream when he is lit. Zozobra is Old Man Gloom and we burn him down to bring better luck.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 30,208 times
well if you want greenery head 35 MI NW to Los Alamos not a cactus in sight up there and plenty of mountains.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 101,336 times
Default Questions About Living In The Santa Fe Area.

Greetings all!

My wife keeps getting job offers from a company in Santa Fe. Since they really want someone with her skills, the keep increasing the offer and now added payed moving expenses and a big sign on bonus. This makes a move to the Santa Fe area more tempting.

We live in Houston, Texas and are sick of the congestion, hellishly hot humid climate and the horrible traffic. I read your horror stories about crime in Albq. and laugh...you have not seen crime like we have. Nothing in NM could scare us. We are sick of Houston...its unbelievably crowded and not as inexpensive to live in as it was 10-15 years ago, either. The sprawl is unbelievable and it takes hours to navagiate this city and we're sick of it.

We have visited northern NM several times and always enjoyed it. The main thing that keeps us from moving to the Sanat Fe area is the fact that it appears to be very expensive to own a home there. Still, the cooks, maids, mechanics, hotel desk people and others that make "normal" middle class wages have to live somewhere, so I don't think we HAVE to spend 300 grand on a house.

Sooo...I have some questions about us moving to the Santa Fe area, as we are seriously considering it as the offer keeps getting better and our disgust over living in Houston grows...

Can we find a nice little 3 bedroom house in the Sanat Fe area for around 150-175 grand? We now live in a solidly middle class area...is this do-able? I don't mind driving in a little ways to work - the commutes in Santa Fe could not be nearly as long and miserable as Houston. Could we find a house like that and have maybe a 30 minute commute perhaps?

How about outlying areas like Loa Alamos or Espanola for housing? Again, I don't have to live right in town, if it means lower house prices.

What are the schools like in this area? Do you have to go private to get in a decent school in Santa Fe? (I hope not)

In the winter, do you have to have a 4WD vehicle to get around? We have two Volvo sedans and got rid of our 4x4 SUV and pick-up years ago due to the high gas prices. Will we be able to get around in January?

Most of the other things I can live with as far as Santa Fe goes. I am familair with the city and since I grew up in West Texas, I have a western atttitude and I think we'd fit right in. The housing and schools for my 7 year old daughter are my main concearns. I will not have a job right away, but I am college educated and have done several things, so I am not worried on that end. I am an economic conservative but socially I am fairly liberal and can get along with anyone.

We're fairly middle or the road people with some conservative and some liberal views, but don't sit firmly on either side of the political fence, really.

We do look foreward to living in a drier and cooler climate, living with less congestion and sprawl and getting away from the rat race pace of a large megaopolis like Houston. I think the setting and lifestyle change would benefit us emotionally and I would love for my daughter NOT to grow up in a crowded big city with all the crime and traffic and dangers.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

- Brickboy240

Old 06-16-2006, 03:51 AM

828 posts, read 3,489,366 times
Default Santa Fe

Santa Fe is a nice city that is expensive to live in but if you can afford it, it is a nice place to live. I love out toward Pecos. More mountain type climate but really pretty. I wouldn't recommend Espanola. Los Alamos is nice too but it is a ways to drive. Your Volvos should be fine. The weather isn't harsh in the winter, there is some snow but it melts quickly. I hate Houston too. I visited there for a few weeks while my grandfather had surgery, (great hospitals there) and a man stole my grandmother's purse, snatched it right off her at the hotel. I couldn't wait to get out of there. SO HOT too. I live in Phoenix and I think this place is an oven but Houston is right next to it in heat. Good Luck on your move.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:07 AM

8,397 posts, read 11,003,904 times
Santa Fe is the most expensive city in New Mexico. I would think you'd have a very hard time finding a 3-bedroom home in a decent neighborhood for under $300k, but I could be wrong. My advice: Call a local realtor and ask them. They should be able to get you a rough idea and offer some suggestions.

Santa Fe does have a rather high crime rate, but as you said, it's nothing compared to Houston.

You can definitely get around in the winter without a 4WD. Santa Fe definitely gets snow, but it's not like it's Montana or anything. If things get extraordinarily bad, people just stay indoors. It never lasts long. Most main roads are usually cleared within 12 hours.

I don't know about the schools. Sorry.

My advice: Santa Fe would definitely be a step up from Houston. A big step. But it isn't paradise.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 43,007 times
Default The City Different

Your Volvos are fine, even if you wind up living on (some) dirt roads. And yes, you can find a home (albeit a bit of a tract type) in a safe, decent neighborhood. Espanola - no! Los Alamos - yes, but a bit of a commute and windy roads. My biggest warning to you is realtors. There are too many in Santa Fe and competence is not their strong suit as a rule. (Exceptions to exist, but.................and they really are much worse than elsewhere...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe