Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,530 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved out of a house we lived in and the property management company charged us $250 to replace the locks. I was more than a little taken aback! Should I take them to small claims court. That really seems totally ridiculous. Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Did your lease/rental agreement say anything about the locks? Did you return any keys they provided to you?
I've never been charged to change the locks any time I've rented a place.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:15 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Your time must be worth about 3 bucks an hour if you are even considering small claims court for 250.00. That sum is a pittance to have someone come out and do that service. Whether they have the right to charge you that cost I do not know.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Funky Chicken View Post
Please share your thoughts.
Our small house has eight outside locks.

You were a bit vague on what really happened... Did you lose keys, did you damage the locks, lose some keys, what did your lease say. etc etc etc.

That's my only thoughts...

Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,530 times
No, we didn't lose any keys. The landlord was going to change the locks a month before we moved, and we thought it would be easier to wait till we moved, so we told him that. He came back and told us that had we allowed him to change the locks initially he wouldn't have charged us, but because we made him wait he charged us. There were two locks on the front door and one from the garage to the house.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Funky Chicken View Post
No, we didn't lose any keys. The landlord was going to change the locks a month before we moved, and we thought it would be easier to wait till we moved, so we told him that. He came back and told us that had we allowed him to change the locks initially he wouldn't have charged us, but because we made him wait he charged us. There were two locks on the front door and one from the garage to the house.
Sounds like something I would got to court over.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Well that sounds crazy assuming you didn't damage the locks. You can get a lock re-keyed for $10-$15

Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I agree-the landlord is a jerk. You take him to court!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Look at the terms of the lease. If charging for the cost of lock changes is not mentioned, then I'd suggest that rather than taking him to court, you just write him a letter of explanation to establish the facts and to justify your not paying him. Then let him take you to court if he wishes. Take the monkey off your back and put it on his! Your reasonable letter can then be used as evidence of your good faith if he does take you to court. But I am not an attorney so that's just my gut opinion. There is also a hotline for aggrieved tenants to call for advice (New Mexico Landlord Tenant Hotline) but be advised there is a $30 fee per call.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Look at the terms of the lease. If charging for the cost of lock changes is not mentioned, then I'd suggest that rather than taking him to court, you just write him a letter of explanation to establish the facts and to justify your not paying him. Then let him take you to court if he wishes. Take the monkey off your back and put it on his! Your reasonable letter can then be used as evidence of your good faith if he does take you to court. But I am not an attorney so that's just my gut opinion. There is also a hotline for aggrieved tenants to call for advice (New Mexico Landlord Tenant Hotline) but be advised there is a $30 fee per call.
good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: