Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
That's a perfect article. Thanks for posting! I wish we had visited a few of those and agree with the author's premise that places like this are hard to find in Santa Fe.

I think whoever said the middle class is missing in Santa Fe got it about right. The restaurants reflect a bi-polar high-end/touristy vs food-truck/burrito/hamburger. It's hard to find honest cooking somewhere in the middle, particularly if you are not a fan of new mexican.

We actually were much more impressed with the food in Albuquerque, which, as you know, has a strong middle class and relatively few tourists.

Sorry if our food complaints upset the locals who are content! Thanks for recommendations.
I haven't found either of the bolded statements to be true. SF has quite a few restaurants in-between the two extremes you mention. Several levels in-between, in fact. I know of very few food trucks. Outside of the downtown core, however, pretty much ALL the restaurants are somewhere in the mid-range, between what you describe, not counting the fast food chain ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
We live here and recently "found" two new restaurants. Highly recommend both of them.

Cafe Grazie. Terrific Italian food. I had shrimp over angel hair pasta with sun dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, peas, shaved cheese and olive oil/garlic sauce. YUM! My husband really enjoyed his spicy meatball red sauce pasta dish. Salad was fresh greens with an extremely nice dressing. The folks running the place were welcoming and gracious.

The restaurant faces Zafarano down by Target in a stand-alone building with other businesses. (The location used to be a Hot Dog place) I got the address on the web: 3530 Zafarano Dr c3, Santa Fe, NM 87507

Dolina Cafe. We've had brunch there twice. Varied, interesting menu, lovely presentation. Yummy stuff in the bakery case. Fresh eggs, tasty variation of a French toast/waffle with fresh fruit. And, again, charming wait staff both visits.

The downtown location was previously Clafoutis at 402 N Guadalupe St, Santa Fe, NM 87501.

Actually, Clafoutis is fabulous, too. They relocated to the corner of Cordova and Don Diego.

All three are worth the visit. Hope you enjoy. Come back here and let us all know.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
I went to Tomasitas last Saturday. The last time I was there was when I graduated from the Alb. branch of the College of Santa Fe in 1992 and the graduation ceremony was in S.F. Very good and reasonable. The place was packed. Next time I go to SF will be on a week day. Very cool building too.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:30 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,471 times
TaaaDaaahhhhhh - Geronimo was just named the Number 1 Restaurant in the U.S. by Yelp!
It's expensive, and the wine list is exorbitantly priced, and their menu hasn't changed very much in years, BUT the food is great and the service impeccable.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
TaaaDaaahhhhhh - Geronimo was just named the Number 1 Restaurant in the U.S. by Yelp!
It's expensive, and the wine list is exorbitantly priced, and their menu hasn't changed very much in years, BUT the food is great and the service impeccable.
For those who wish to examine the Geronimo website: https://www.geronimorestaurant.com/

Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Went to Pasqual's last week. Food was excellent. Wife changed her mind about High Noon.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Been to Santa Fe many times and I always make it a point to stop in at Valentina's on W. Alameda.

It's in a small strip mall, and it isn't very big or fancy, but oh my - the food is tasty.

They serve Northern New Mexican (but also standard NM fare as well).

The chimichangas are a taste explosion!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Didn't know Tecolote Cafe had closed until I showed up there last week looking forward to lunch. Bummer. One of my favorite lunch spots in Santa Fe for many years.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 PM

65 posts, read 127,705 times
Bad time for Santa Fe restaurants. In addition to Tecolote closing, Maize also closed; Sazon had a fire and is closed; Santa Cafe is doing renovations and is closed and who knows what else!!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,471 times
But more restaurants coming, and so many new ones already to try!
FYI, Maize is being replaced by Sasella, a fine-dining Italian restaurant. Should be open soon.
Too bad about Tecolote. Closed after business last Wednesday. Caught all of us by surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe