Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times

Advertisements

As much as I love Asheville and the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains I find summers suffocating (humidity) and at times claustrophobic (dense monochromatic greenery). As I get older I can't handle the humidity 79% this a.m. and will go up especially if we get a thunderstorm. Temp. pushing 90 by afternoon, UGH...I will feel like a wet kleenex :-( When we have visited the SW, especially northern NM, the ability to see distances, a variety of colors, lack of humidity has made me fall in love. Not to mention the tri cultural aspects, the fantastic food and friendly people. I will miss much about this area if we manage to relocate but not the summers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
As much as I love Asheville and the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains I find summers suffocating (humidity) and at times claustrophobic (dense monochromatic greenery). As I get older I can't handle the humidity 79% this a.m. and will go up especially if we get a thunderstorm. Temp. pushing 90 by afternoon, UGH...I will feel like a wet kleenex :-( When we have visited the SW, especially northern NM, the ability to see distances, a variety of colors, lack of humidity has made me fall in love. Not to mention the tri cultural aspects, the fantastic food and friendly people. I will miss much about this area if we manage to relocate but not the summers!
There will still be temps in the 90's, though. You won't feel like a wet Kleenex, you'll feel like a dried-up leaf. But fall is glorious, and winter is no longer snow-bound. I didn't know Asheville was so humid; good to know.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
In order to type the ñ, you need to know the "character code." Once you have that, it's a simple matter. OR you can simply "copy/paste" it from another text source.

Here is a great reference with a .pdf instruction sheet you can download and print out.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6008-alt-key-codes-special-characters-list.html

Wow! I never knew about this. Thanks so much.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Or, if you are on an Apple/Mac, you just press the n for a long time and some options come up.

(Just tested it to make sure it works even here, and it does: ñ is option 1 when you do this.)
Yay! Thank you!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
My roots are in the piney woods of East Texas, and I know what you mean about feeling suffocated. The forests are beautiful, but you can't see the horizon, and you can't see thunderstorms approaching, which is something I love. I much prefer the real Southwest like around Santa Fe, where you can see forever. No claustrophobic feeling whatsoever there.
I grew up back east. Although I would not trade NM for that, my memory of 'the woods' is one of the most treasured. I think it has to do with being a child in the woods...the trees of course, wild berries, clay pits ( I was lost in one as a toddler), fireflies, creeks, babbling brooks that we drank from, the smells...

New Mexico is a different kind of magic. I was horrified upon arriving at the stark brown landscape at the height of summer. In 4 months, I was in love...

Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
This is much our sentiment here, too, and why we are trying to buy a house in Santa Fe. It was hot in Santa Fe this past weekend, but without the humidity, it is one of those "just get out of the sun, dummkopf" type things.

While in Santa Fe, I pinged the weather sensor in my yard here in Asheville. The humidity was equal or greater to what tsmw indicated at about 9:45am Asheville time.

Santa Fe cools down better on summer nights than Asheville, That is partially a humidity thing, too.

We are a lot closer to the Native American culture than the Appalachian culture, and those things are at the heart of their respective areas.

Then there are the cloud formations and lightning shows that make a regular appearance in the evenings in Santa Fe. We sat outside on a rooftop two nights to take them in.

Asheville has also gotten "full of itself" in a lot of ways, worse than almost anyplace I have seen. I think there are a lot of reasons for that, but I do not see the story ending well (also for a lot of reasons).

We had an unlucky break on our first offer for a house. The sellers got some horrible personal news and decided to pull it off the market as we were in negotiations that looked extremely promising for both sides. One of those things that when you hear about, it gives you a gut check on perspective. We just made an offer on what is behind door number two, so we'll see how that goes. There is also a door number three, if we need it.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post

We had an unlucky break on our first offer for a house. The sellers got some horrible personal news and decided to pull it off the market as we were in negotiations that looked extremely promising for both sides. One of those things that when you hear about, it gives you a gut check on perspective. We just made an offer on what is behind door number two, so we'll see how that goes. There is also a door number three, if we need it.
The real estate market has been pretty busy this year. I urged one set of clients to come see a home last Friday that had just come on the market that day. It was a great deal and I knew it wouldn't last long. They decided to wait until Saturday to see it. By Saturday morning it was already under contract. With another couple, they made a cash offer which we pushed to have the sellers agree to within a tight timeframe. We got it, and the next day another cash offer came in that was higher than ours - but they were too late; we just closed 2 weeks later. Another couple (from Georgia) made an offer sight unseen after I did a FaceTime tour for them on a new listing. They got it just before other buyers started lining up. I insisted they fly out here to do a physical inspection within the due diligence period. They did and fell in love with the place (again).
There are all kinds of options for buyers who find a property they want. I hope your second choice works out for you - but don't settle; for an investment this significant, you want to be sure it's really what you want.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

The only thing I will have to give up is my sailboat.
Heron Lake is a no-wake lake - not sure of the water levels lately but when I first moved here and missed water I'd ask a friend with a sail boat to take me there. Beautiful. I'm heading up there this weekend to go camping. Many of my friends here own boats so you might want to check out the lakes before getting rid of it. If I missed green I went to the Pecos Wilderness - lots of streams and green.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-27-2016 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
The real estate market has been pretty busy this year. I urged one set of clients to come see a home last Friday that had just come on the market that day. It was a great deal and I knew it wouldn't last long. They decided to wait until Saturday to see it. By Saturday morning it was already under contract. With another couple, they made a cash offer which we pushed to have the sellers agree to within a tight timeframe. We got it, and the next day another cash offer came in that was higher than ours - but they were too late; we just closed 2 weeks later. Another couple (from Georgia) made an offer sight unseen after I did a FaceTime tour for them on a new listing. They got it just before other buyers started lining up. I insisted they fly out here to do a physical inspection within the due diligence period. They did and fell in love with the place (again).
There are all kinds of options for buyers who find a property they want. I hope your second choice works out for you - but don't settle; for an investment this significant, you want to be sure it's really what you want.
Thanks, and your thoughts must have carried some weight.

We got involved in negotiations on the second house, were still pretty far apart, when the owners of the first house re-engaged with us. The long and short of it is that I woke up this morning to the news that we are under contract on our first house.

Barring a catastrophe, we will become Santa Feans on August 23 or 24 (right after Indian Market), and probably move into that house around September 8.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 62,669 times
I love, love, love, Santa Fe and Taos. Would love to live in Santa Fe. I was wondering why there are so many houses/condos on the market? Almost 1500 on the market compared to a 70,000 population just seems really high to me. I live in Casper, Wy where we have a 60,000 population with 490 houses/condos on the market right now & that is considered quite high due to the energy bust in our state. We normally have about 180 houses/condos on the market when oil, gas and coal are doing well. Why the high numbers in Santa Fe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe