Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,980,973 times

Advertisements

I also frequent a cooking forum where the subject of Hatch chilis came up. They keep trying to convince me that they are the same as Anaheim chilis. I don't think so!!!

I used to live on the south end of Cerillos and my mouth still waters when they bring out the propane powered rotating drums and I'd buy Hatch chilis and take them out to the parking lot and have them roasted, and all the good food I'd make with them.

Please verify my claim that Anaheims ain't no Hatch chilis, if true.

And I'm far, far from Santa Fe now. Can I get real Hatch chilis either canned or roasted and frozen by ordering online?

The three things I miss most about Santa Fe are Hatch chilis, the monsoon, and the art walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,321,471 times
I buy my seeds in Santa Fe and own my own roaster. I think it is the soil in New Mexico. Although, I can tell a difference in the peppers from the seeds bought in Santa Fe and the plants I buy here in OK. I keep them in separate raised beds to make sure they do not cross.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,508,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I also frequent a cooking forum where the subject of Hatch chilis came up. They keep trying to convince me that they are the same as Anaheim chilis. I don't think so!!!
Anaheim chiles are created from the original "Hatch Chilies"...

Some people can not tell the difference. Their loss....

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Me...Anaheim_pepper
Quote:
An Anaheim pepper is a mild variety of the New Mexico chile pepper cultivar No. 9. The name "Anaheim" derives from Emilio Ortega, a farmer who brought the seeds from New Mexico to the Anaheim, California, area in 1894.[29][30][31] They are also called California chile or Magdalena, and dried as chile seco del norte.

Though most New Mexico type peppers are long pod-type peppers, that ripen from green to red. The multitude of New Mexico type cultivars have a slight variance in taste, and widely varying appearances and heat levels.[37][38] Some varieties may turn yellow, orange, or brown.

The most common New Mexico chile peppers are the New Mexico 6-4, Big Jim, Sandia, and No. 6 and 9 cultivars. Peppers like the Chimayo, Velarde, Jemez, Escondida, Alcalde, San Filipe, Española, and several others, represent what is known as the New Mexico's unique landrace chiles, which provide their own unique tastes and usually command a higher price.

From: ANAHEIM HISTORICAL SOCIETY: The Shocking Truth About Anaheim Chiles!
Quote:
Anaheim chiles actually originated in New Mexico. According to pepper legend, around 1896, New Mexico rancher Emilio Ortega brought these chile seeds to Anaheim to plant and sell. The mild green peppers adapted well to our Southern California soil and climate, and soon everyone was referring to Ortega's peppers as Anaheim chiles. The name stuck, and here on the West Coast the Anaheim pepper rules the roost.

Quote:
New Mexico chile peppers are grown from seeds – and each of the individual pepper types is specifically bred and grown to be disease-resistant and provide consistent and healthy plants within their specific regions. Altitude, climate, soil, and acreage affects a crop's taste and heartiness, making the New Mexican region unique for plant propagation. The Rio Grande bosque, mountains, and high deserts provide the appropriate regional environment for growing chiles. To ensure that a variety's lineage remains disease-resistant and maintains optimal growth within its heritage region, seeds from specific plants are carefully selected. An example of a New Mexican chile grown outside the state is the Anaheim peppers which are extremely resilient in multiple altitudes. A quirky aspect of the New Mexico chile pepper regards reintroducing seeds from their heritage soil since each successive generation becomes susceptible to disease and it loses its flavor.

An Anaheim pepper is a mild variety of the New Mexico chile pepper cultivar No. 9. The name "Anaheim" derives from Emilio Ortega, a farmer who brought the seeds from New Mexico to the Anaheim, California, area in 1894.[29][30][31] They are also called California chile or Magdalena, and dried as chile seco del norte.

The chile "heat" of Anaheims varies from 500 to 2,500 on the Scoville scale;[32] however, typical cultivars grown in New Mexico can selectively and uniformly range from 500 to 10,000 Scoville units.[13]

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-18-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,139,429 times
I think there are a few places you can order them online, but I have seen frozen green chile (not sure if Hatch or not, I don't recall), in bags at Costco, Walmart, and maybe even our local groceries. Sometimes it is roasted, sometimes not. Check your frozen section or ask your grocer.

Also, you might also look for jarred 505 brand green chile in your local grocery. I can get 505 Hatch Valley Flame Roasted Green Chile at my Costco and its actually pretty good.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Roast...ds=hatch+chile

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/shop/

Old 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM

Thank you everybody! That explains a lot. I still doubt they will taste as good as when I'm in Santa Fe.

I've got Amazon Prime so if I can't find anything local I'll order via Amazon.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 PM

205 posts, read 204,271 times
So here you go, sir...I am a direct descendant of great European wine and Beer makers (Chemists, Physicists, Biologists, Scientist etc...and one particular other Viticulturists). Something, in particular, has happened to the French and Italian (European) wine industries over the past 100 years. In the early 19th Century viticulture in France ran into a crisis as certain local grape varieties lost their resilience to resist a certain (new) disease. The vineyards along with French immigrants who were migrating to Chile brought grape species and varieties such as Carmenère, in order to preserve the grape strain and the particular wine that they are used to produce. Wines in Europe, especially in France, are specifically named and identified, through their distinct attributes that are believed to be derived directly from the characteristics of the Region of France in which they are produced for example, soil, climate, annual rainfall, distinct number and type of minerals that are in the soil of that region, hours of sunlight or darkness, characteristic bacteria etc. etc. etc., For example, Champagne is called champagne because it is produced in Champagne, France on Champagne Vineyards; in soil that was cultivated to be best conducive to the Champagne Grape (the same qualifications are inherent with the Cava of Spain)...that is why other champagne type wines are termed Sparkling wine and if the grapes are not grown in Champagne and the champagne is not produced in Champagne then it can not be labeled, marketed or called "Champagne"...Carmenère and other famous and timeless wine varieties that are traditionally associated with France (now mostly "in name only") are now attributed to Chile and all of the similarly defining characteristics are attributed only to Chile thus making Carmenère Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and others Chilean wines... Make Sense???

The other dynamic and formative event of the 19th century has been the boom of wine production in Sonoma Valley, California...A similar transfer of viticulture but this market is attributed to several other different factors along with agriculture and viticulture. A bunch of newly minted millionaires cropped up in this area and most were rejected in some way from European cultures of wealth (namely for the "newness" of their culture); so, recalcitrant with European aristocratic politics and wealth they wanted to compete with European wines makers and achieve a similar level of culture and sophistication that would become distinctly Californian and thus compete in the global wine markets... Is this all coming full circle for you now???

Hatch Green Chiles are grown in Hatch, NM under certain conditions and specific characteristics of Hatch, N.Mx.; the soil composition is different, the rainfall is different, the general climate is different, the hours of sunlight are different and thus the Chiles are different. While the Anaheim maybe the historical genetic parent (which it is not), a relative or a variant of the NM Hatch Green Chile, the Hatch Chile has modified and adapted to a different environment than Anaheim, California.

and here is the final evidence:---> "An Anaheim pepper is a mild variety of the New Mexico chile pepper cultivar No. 9. The name "Anaheim" derives from Emilio Ortega, a farmer who brought the seeds from New Mexico to the Anaheim, California, area in 1894.[29][30][31] They are also called California chile or Magdalena..."

and here--->"Hatch chile refers to varieties of species of the genus Capsicum which are grown in the Hatch Valley, an area stretching north and south along the Rio Grande from Arrey, New Mexico, in the north to Tonuco Mountain to the southeast of Hatch, New Mexico. The soil and growing conditions in the Hatch Valley create a unique terroir[22] which contributes to the flavor of chile grown there. Most of the varieties of chile cultivated in the Hatch Valley have been developed at New Mexico State University over the last 130 years."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Me...Anaheim_pepper

so Hatch Chiles are distinctly different from Anaheim peppers...
GuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardarGuardar

Last edited by Countess Capital; 04-08-2017 at 05:10 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 03:22 PM
CII

149 posts, read 218,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countess Capital View Post
... "[i]Hatch chile refers to varieties of species ...
And different from each other, notice "varieties," plural.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Sadly, the fresh roasted Hatch chilis and Santa Fe's adobe architecture houses are the two biggest things I miss about my days living in Santa Fe. -- I can live without Cerillos Blvd. being all messed up. It was unfortunate my stay in SF it was always a mess, perhaps they fixed it by now.

When choosing where to live you have to trade the +/- of both places in making your choice. I'm happier where I am now than I would have been if I stayed in SF but I sure wish I could live in an adobe style house and get fresh roasted Hatch chilis right at the market. In the end I didn't fit in to a small city. I needed the big city luxuries, conveniences and opportunities more than I loved the Hatch chilis and the adobe houses.

But alas...

Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM

859 posts, read 1,352,254 times
I've ordered from these folks, both fresh and frozen - all good!

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/?g...TC8aArde8P8HAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe