Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,699 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to relocate west and loved visiting Santa Fe recently. I've researched and learned quite a bit, but don't want to romanticize it too much. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

What future does a film producer of documentaries have in Santa Fe?

Are there plenty of young professionals and groups for socializing? (I would be moving away from a lot of friends on the east)

What are the top three worst things about the city?

Would knowing Spanish be a vital asset for a young lawyer to have?

How difficult would it be for an out of state law grad to get a job?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 PM

105 posts, read 146,153 times
HI Jennie I'm an attorney and have written some articles on atty demographics. In general "fashionable" places like sante fe are going to attract more professionals and usually have an abundance of attorneys. New Mexico is state where I believe you cant waive in - you have to take the bar.

Ive spent some time there as I lived down the road in El Paso for years.

I now live and practice on the ocean in Rockport TX where Im President of the Area Bar Assn. We are working on something that will create plenty of work for attys, however we do need attys who can do probate or bankruptcy and general civil law. Rockport is a casual town and I once brought my Flemish Giant rabbit to court with me! ( a long story).

If youre just starting out - alot depends on the judges. IN some cities they are heartless jerks who make life tough for new people. Here Id rate them B+. Check out smaller towns - some may only have older attys who are starting to retire ( like us) there may be more opportunities.

As for documentaries you can find good stories anywhere!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 PM

827 posts, read 5,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
I'm hoping to relocate west and loved visiting Santa Fe recently. I've researched and learned quite a bit, but don't want to romanticize it too much. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

What future does a film producer of documentaries have in Santa Fe?

Are there plenty of young professionals and groups for socializing? (I would be moving away from a lot of friends on the east)

What are the top three worst things about the city?

How difficult would it be for an out of state law grad to get a job?

Thanks!
Jennie, as far as films go, Rio Rancho is becoming the film mecca in the west next to Hollywood. They are building large studios in Rio Rancho. Since yours seems like more on a small scale with documentaries, I am sure Santa Fe would be fine. The 3 worst things about Santa Fe:
1. Expensive
2. Expensive
3. Expensive
Really that is the major factor there. It is a nice city. I can't really think of anything bad except it will cost mucho dinero to live there. Spanish would be a major asset. I am not sure on the last question. Someone local in law will have to anwer that one.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 AM

75 posts, read 409,702 times
Default State lawyer positions

Santa Fe is the state capital, and as such, has a lot of lawyer in government positions. The state usually pays very poorly.
Here's the URL you can plug in to browse (and apply) for state of NM positions.

https://sharehcm.state.nm.us/psp/nmh...RAM.HRS_CE.GBL

Positions are updated daily. relative to the cost of living in Santa Fe, NM may have one of the higher difference in the salary scale compared to what housing costs. Be prepared for the surprise or bring plenty of money for a housing down payment. Everything, gas, apartments, homes, groceries, car insurance, etc. costs a lot here.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,370,810 times
The Film industry is booming for New Mexico in recent years. So a film producer should have no problem finding work to do if theyre descent. There have been alot of documentaries filmd here recently, from not just local (american) companies, but as far away as Japan and England too. Id check out nmfilm {dot} com to see whats happening in the industry.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM

215 posts, read 837,890 times
Filmmakers get some kind of tax break in NM. I don't know the details, but I remember seeing it on the state tax form last year. I gather that NM in general loves film. Don't ignore other parts of the state as you consider your move. Most of it is beautiful, and not all of it is expensive.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,370,810 times
Yes NM does give tax breaks for film makers. There is information about it on NMFilm
Taken from their site
Quote:
NEW MEXICO'S FILM INCENTIVES

25% FILM PRODUCTION TAX REBATE
New Mexico offers a 25% tax rebate on all production expenditures (including New Mexico labor) that are subject to taxation by the State of New Mexico. This is a refund, not a credit.

FILM INVESTMENT LOAN PROGRAM
New Mexico offers a loan, with participation in lieu of interest, up to $15 million per project, (which can represent 100% of the budget) for qualifying feature films or television projects. Terms are negotiated and budget must be at least $1 million.

NO STATE SALES TAX
Not to be used in conjunction with the 25% tax rebate.
Type 16 Nontaxable Transaction Certificates (NTTCs) work much like grocery-store coupons. A certificate is presented at the point of sale and no gross receipts tax (sales tax) is charged. (Used primarily for commercials & PSAs)
Since Katrina the Film industry has picked up alot and is pretty exciting.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:52 PM

22,864 posts, read 28,131,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
Vital? No. Helpful? Very much. But that's true of anywhere in NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe