Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you might want to look in the East Mountains area east of Albuquerque. Very convenient to a huge potential customer base in Albuquerqe and a quite reasonable (and intensely scenic) commute to Santa Fe as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM

887 posts, read 1,210,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It sounds like you might want to look in the East Mountains area east of Albuquerque. Very convenient to a huge potential customer base in Albuquerqe and a quite reasonable (and intensely scenic) commute to Santa Fe as well.
Indeed. That view when you start heading down toward Madrid is still one of the best.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhaegele View Post
Good advice, lovehound. I am now thinking about buying a used small trailer RV and live out of that to find where I am really happy before committing to rent or house. I know I want the Southwest, just unsure where exactly I will find home. But I hear you about moving to a small city. I am so used to walking out my front door and having things to do. It will be a lifestyle change for sure, but I think it will fit me better. We shall see!
That's exactly what I did. I highly recommend Trailer Ranch in S.F. as a place to stay, I lived there almost 6 months. If you are going there, reserve well in advance and ask for one of the spots with lawns on the north side. Otherwise you stay in the dirt and get on the wait list. People who get on the nice side are those who intend long stays or wait weeks like me until you get an opening. T.R. is on the south end of Cerillos which is also near the south end of town.

And Pancho, thanks for the update on Cerillos. The construction was my most hated thing about S.F. It impacted me every day during my stay.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM

1,566 posts, read 3,277,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's exactly what I did. I highly recommend Trailer Ranch in S.F. as a place to stay, I lived there almost 6 months. If you are going there, reserve well in advance and ask for one of the spots with lawns on the north side. Otherwise you stay in the dirt and get on the wait list. People who get on the nice side are those who intend long stays or wait weeks like me until you get an opening. T.R. is on the south end of Cerillos which is also near the south end of town.

And Pancho, thanks for the update on Cerillos. The construction was my most hated thing about S.F. It impacted me every day during my stay.
I know the permanent part of Trailer Ranch is restricted to 55+. Is that not the case with the nightly rental spaces? OP said she was in her mid-30s.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,633,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I know the permanent part of Trailer Ranch is restricted to 55+. Is that not the case with the nightly rental spaces? OP said she was in her mid-30s.
"The Trailer Ranch RV Resort is a relaxing adult only park (21 years of age and older) with 50 full hook up sites."
https://www.trailerranch.com/accommodations.html

Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM

42 posts, read 49,521 times
Thanks so much Ruth4Truth! This is super helpful and making me think I better not live there. Sad but better to figure it out now...

As far as licensing, here in PA we have the same requirements for hours every two years and it look slike my license would simply carry over whereas my other choice I need 50 more credits. Oh well, I'll iron that out.

Looks like I'll be living in my car, yes car! out of a camper so that I can go where the jobs are until I find the perfect place out west and buy land.

I don't suppose Sante Fe has a need for nannies? Sigh. That's my other gig.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:33 PM

I am referring to the transient and seasonal rentals in the front part of Trailer Ranch.

There is a much larger "double wide" (permanent) community behind the camping part, and even a storage lot way in the back.

I highly recommend Trailer Ranch for RV owners and it's the best trailer park I've ever stayed at. Stay for a few days or a few months like I did.

I have been assuming nobody is interested in becoming a permanent resident. I for sure would never live in a double wide.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 AM

42 posts, read 49,521 times
ABQConvict, I'll look there on my trip this summer as well! As far as the camper idea, looks like I need to redraft my entire plan!! I thought that using a small pull trailer on my car was a genius idea so I can travel where there are jobs and feel out neighborhoods in both NM and AZ at my leisure until I know and then build a home on land but come to find out my car doesn't even pull anything, so I would need a new car. There's money... Then the pull campers that you would WANT to live full-time in? They re more than the car. $37k! Soooo looks like this is all out. Might just need to take an extended vacation and camp in a tent the whole way for a month or two then go modular on land. I'll interview the heck out of other massage therapists to get an idea where the money is. AND the scenery. And like-minded folks cause a girl needs some sort of social life

So I'll check out Sante Fe, Taos, and East Mountains area of Albuquerque? What towns exactly would you recommend? Any others you guys think I should check out? Also THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your help! Keep it coming!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 AM

I sold my 32 foot 5th wheel trailer (two sliders) used for $12.5K. It was about 5 years old. You would need probably a 250 class pick-up with in-bed 5th wheel hitch to pull such a trailer. It was pretty comfortable to live in.

Your alternative would be a small hitch type trailer pulled by a pick-up or SUV, again bought used.

I doubt you would be able to afford to stay long enough even in the least expensive motels.

It took me about 5 months living in Santa Fe before I decided that it was nice but not for me. Note also the importance of experiencing the city in different seasons. I started SF in early summer and left late fall. Even at that I didn't see all the seasons, but by then I had realized I just don't like small towns and so it was the size of the town not the weather that decided me to not locate there.

BTW I really enjoyed the monsoon! I really enjoyed the feel of the atmosphere, almost a feeling of expectancy, and the days that huge thunder storms loomed and often incredible thunder and lightning, yet evenings were mild and there was sunlight in at least part of each day. If anything I think I miss the monsoon and the Hatch chilis more than anything else.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:29 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhaegele View Post
Thanks so much Ruth4Truth! This is super helpful and making me think I better not live there. Sad but better to figure it out now...

As far as licensing, here in PA we have the same requirements for hours every two years and it look slike my license would simply carry over whereas my other choice I need 50 more credits. Oh well, I'll iron that out.

Looks like I'll be living in my car, yes car! out of a camper so that I can go where the jobs are until I find the perfect place out west and buy land.

I don't suppose Sante Fe has a need for nannies? Sigh. That's my other gig.
Yes, I think your license would carry over, as long as you have the same or more number of massage school hrs. as NM requires. Perhaps take a look at Ruidoso; it gets a lot of vacation clientele, and the COL is lower there. I've heard good things about it, but I don't know how many massage businesses are there. If there aren't many, you might manage.

RE: nanny jobs--actually, I've seen job listings for that occasionally. Do you have references? Where there are wealthy residents (SF attracts them), there will be some demand for nannies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe