Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 AM

65 posts, read 127,603 times

Advertisements

If we were still in wet/warm NJ, we'd be starting the dogs on Frontline to combat ticks (mostly) and fleas.
But, over 3 months, not one tick and no evidence of fleas here in Santa Fe.

I imagine that a lot might depend on location - perhaps more of a problem in wetter areas; but we live in the pinon/juniper foothills of the Sangre de Cristo north of town.

What experiences can others report? Advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
We haven't lived in SF for the past couple years, when we did it was over by Las Campanas. We didn't use flea or tick stuff on the cats or dogs and never had any issues. I did keep them on Heartworm meds since they cover a bunch of parasites.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 33,922 times
For sure fleas like wet, warm areas more than a dry place like Santa Fe. Beautiful there though. You'll probably have more issues with ticks, I would imagine.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert62 View Post
For sure fleas like wet, warm areas more than a dry place like Santa Fe. Beautiful there though. You'll probably have more issues with ticks, I would imagine.
I have not seen a tick in 13 years. Since we don't have damp grass everywhere maybe there's no where for them to hang out like in the east. Just walk thru grass back there and you can pick them up. I didn't read this whole article but lyme disease from ticks isn't in NM. On average one case of Rocky Mountain spotted fever is reported here each year.

http://nmhealth.org/ERD/HealthData/d.../Ticks_001.pdf

Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM

380 posts, read 652,500 times
I moved to Santa Fe a year ago. My vet told me not to use flea/tick, and he even sells it!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I moved to Santa Fe a year ago. My vet told me not to use flea/tick, and he even sells it!
Hard to get a more convincing endorsement than that!!
Thanks.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarket2 View Post
If we were still in wet/warm NJ, we'd be starting the dogs on Frontline to combat ticks (mostly) and fleas.

I imagine that a lot might depend on location - perhaps more of a problem in wetter areas; but we live in the pinon/juniper foothills of the Sangre de Cristo north of town.

our experience and it is just ours, you will find ticks in the high elevations as well as lower ones. In fact the first tick to ever decide I would make a good meal was in the mountains of Colorado many years ago. When we live in NO Ca we were always picking ticks off our dogs. It was a Sat night ritual, check for ticks on the dogs and the kids. As for fleas, we didn't have any when we lived in Abq. so, I am guessing, living in a higher altitude you should be ok.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Back in NJ, the ticks were thick. And, they loved dog blood.
Haven't seen a single one here yet. It does appear that they are abundant in some locations and not others.
Does anyone know what diseases ticks carry in northern New Mexico?
I'd expect it to be more Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever than Lyme disease.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM

159 posts, read 478,716 times
What part of Jersey are you from? On a ticks-in-the-desert note, when I lived in Terlingua, TX, outside Big Bend National Park, I did have to check my late, great dog Maisie regularly for ticks. Despite the arid conditions, they were there, and they loved to make a home in her ears. I removed them with tweezers.

Quote:

Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Back in NJ, the ticks were thick. And, they loved dog blood.
Haven't seen a single one here yet. It does appear that they are abundant in some locations and not others.
Does anyone know what diseases ticks carry in northern New Mexico?
I'd expect it to be more Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever than Lyme disease.
It's all here:

http://nmhealth.org/ERD/HealthData/d.../Ticks_001.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe