Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 23,378 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly so confused what to think. There are many mixed messages about New Mexico, Santa Fe, ABQ. I've been to NM twice, once in 2012 for one week, and 10 days in 2014. Really loved it overall, it's almost like it's not even part of the U.S. Checked out ABQ, Santa Fe, Alamogordo, Ruidoso, Taos. Did plenty of hiking camping. I've been pondering for a while doing a "Norm Morrison" get up and go type of thing but I want input from those in the know. Here's the quick and dirty.

35, male, Madison, WI $6.5k in savings, Office Grunt (Customer Service, Clerical Admin) Associates Degree Administrative Professional, I make about $30k a year in Madison WI, certainly nothing fancy; I go into the office do the 9-5 and call it a day, I have 2 cats. What are my odds of success/failure if I just get up and go to Santa Fe? ABQ? Will I be homeless in 6 months, or do I have a chance of landing some paper pushing $15/hour job and finding a decent apartment for my cats and I?

I've been checking out apartment rentals online in Santa Fe and ABQ, and anything $700/mo or under the pictures always look nice (sparkling pool, patio, spacious) but the HORROR stories I read on Google Reviews rival that of any Hollywood horror script. Roaches, noise, break ins, rude management, perverted maintenance staff. It sometimes get so depressing that I give up. Apparently there is an affordable rental shortage in NM just like everyplace else it seems, including here in Madison.

I applied to a State of NM paper pusher job that might pay upwards of $14 an hour but I'm not holding my breath.

I need a life change so bad. Madison is great and all but I've been here most of my whole life. It's crowded here, campgrounds are always full, when you go hiking you are always within earshot of of some highway. You can't truly get away. In New Mexico it seems you can; there are endless opportunities to explore the outdoors. I sound like such a fluff ball don't I?

Lay it on me. What's the dealio. Should I stay or should I go. -Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliotrope_rick View Post
You should go!
-Ricardo

Old 05-05-2017, 06:16 AM

23 posts, read 49,599 times
Im in the same boat as you my man, I say go for it! I went a little nuts applying to jobs all over the state and I did have callbacks from a few areas even after I applied with a letter stating I didn't even live there yet! But after doing more research, I decided on living in another area further south so I declined. Just keep plugging away at it! Good luck.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,683,319 times
Try applying for some jobs in healthcare. The hospitals always seem to be hiring and tend to pay pretty well.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:52 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,241,735 times
Quote:
I'm honestly so confused what to think. There are many mixed messages about New Mexico, Santa Fe, ABQ. I've been to NM twice, once in 2012 for one week, and 10 days in 2014. Really loved it overall, it's almost like it's not even part of the U.S. Checked out ABQ, Santa Fe, Alamogordo, Ruidoso, Taos. Did plenty of hiking camping. I've been pondering for a while doing a "Norm Morrison" get up and go type of thing but I want input from those in the know. Here's the quick and dirty.

35, male, Madison, WI $6.5k in savings, Office Grunt (Customer Service, Clerical Admin) Associates Degree Administrative Professional, I make about $30k a year in Madison WI, certainly nothing fancy; I go into the office do the 9-5 and call it a day, I have 2 cats. What are my odds of success/failure if I just get up and go to Santa Fe? ABQ? Will I be homeless in 6 months, or do I have a chance of landing some paper pushing $15/hour job and finding a decent apartment for my cats and I?

I've been checking out apartment rentals online in Santa Fe and ABQ, and anything $700/mo or under the pictures always look nice (sparkling pool, patio, spacious) but the HORROR stories I read on Google Reviews rival that of any Hollywood horror script. Roaches, noise, break ins, rude management, perverted maintenance staff. It sometimes get so depressing that I give up. Apparently there is an affordable rental shortage in NM just like everyplace else it seems, including here in Madison.

I applied to a State of NM paper pusher job that might pay upwards of $14 an hour but I'm not holding my breath.

I need a life change so bad. Madison is great and all but I've been here most of my whole life. It's crowded here, campgrounds are always full, when you go hiking you are always within earshot of of some highway. You can't truly get away. In New Mexico it seems you can; there are endless opportunities to explore the outdoors. I sound like such a fluff ball don't I?

I think that you should relocate to America's Land of Enchantment,OP.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 PM

887 posts, read 1,204,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You should go!
-Ricardo
No kidding! I don't know how to say this without the risk of it being taken the wrong way but...
It does not sound like you have much to lose man. It's not like you are bringing a family along and leaving a 100K job. You like to hike like I do. You have every type of hike imaginable in NM. You know what I got here? FOREST PRESERVES! After 600 feet it's the same trees over and over and over and over again.

I prefer the badlands yet some could say the same thing about them. The diff is you can go from badlands to forested trails that you would swear you left the state and they are not even 50 miles away Tops!

Admit it. NM sucked you in. I've told a few people I have brought on trips that you either get it or you don't or as others say, you don't choose NM, it chooses you. I prefer the former. There's way too many people that live there that don't deserve it. Any bets that 1/2 the people in Albuquerque have never been to Sandia Crest?

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:34 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,267,452 times
three cats has a point -- you're not risking a lot with the move. You just need to find a decentish job and decentish lodgings. That's not always easy in NM, but a lot easier when you're a single male than if you're a family with some kids to support and educate.

State employment other than LEO and child services-related roles is under a hiring freeze right now, which is probably why you're not seeing a lot on NeoGov. I would just keep an eye out as the freeze can't last forever. Counties and Municipalities aren't under that freeze, though. I'll add that if you're coming in with decent writing skills and a decent work ethic, some agency will hire you.

Rentals are a bit tough in Santa Fe. I think the vacancy rate hovers under 5%. $1,000 would be a more reasonable budget for rent, but you should be able to find something for $700.

Good luck with the move!

Old 05-06-2017, 04:54 PM

534 posts, read 484,813 times
Quote:

Hi Rick, I am someone that finally 'went' from MPLS to ABQ. You can always find something to keep you where you are, the fear of the unknown is very persuasive, but eventually, if your soul wants to be somewhere else, resistance is futile. It really comes down to knowing yourself, what you really want. I know many people say "bloom where you are planted" but if you know you're a cactus, you won't thrive in the shady tropics like you would if you're an orchid.

Per my experience, there is a vaguely different crime situation in the SW than in the midwest of MN and WI, regarding property theft, and it feels somewhat rooted in culture. It sort of seems like if something is not attached to you or nailed down, that your rights to keep it are somewhat dubious, depending on who wants it. That was something I had to process, and part of the reason it took me so long to make the move, which now feels very right.

There are cockroaches. I had associated them in the midwest with filth and squalor, meaning, if you had them, it was your fault for not keeping things clean. NM was a rude awakening in that regard. I discovered the wonders of diatomaceous earth, and my cockroach problem is almost nonexistent.

Much more overt poverty here, as opposed to the midwest, where it is confined to certain areas or hidden. That was also something I had to make personal peace with, in order to move. I now much more notice creativity and vibrancy, instead of the poverty, where the two coexist.

If you love NM, WI will never satisfy you. You'll know in your heart when and if it's time to go, or if what you really want is there in WI. All the cities you mention have their own vibe, and if you pay attention to how you feel, you'll notice which one feels most like home. And if it's really home for you, all the things you require to make a home will be there for you.

I wish you the life of your dreams!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:11 AM

23 posts, read 49,599 times
"I know many people say "bloom where you are planted" but if you know you're a cactus, you won't thrive in the shady tropics like you would if you're an orchid."

I love that!

"There are cockroaches. I had associated them in the midwest with filth and squalor, meaning, if you had them, it was your fault for not keeping things clean. NM was a rude awakening in that regard. I discovered the wonders of diatomaceous earth, and my cockroach problem is almost nonexistent."

Did you put the DE outside only or inside the dwelling as well? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Borax and Sugar is also a good bait for Roaches. Equal parts of borax and sugar along the baseboards, cracks, under/behind cabinets where you usually see the roaches. Borax is a poison, keep out of reach of kids or pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe