U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 PM

140 posts, read 72,047 times

Advertisements

I have ran across a job posting with the forest service at the Santa Fe N.F and I'm thinking of applying. We are Texas natives who moved to Washington over a year ago, but the Ms. doesn't care for it as much as she thought she would and I've been trying to get on with the Forest Service for a while now. First thing I'd like to know about is crime. I've been to Santa Fe a few times but that was when i was much much younger. Im quite aware with of the nasty business in the south part of the state but would Santa Fe be a safe place to raise a family? And how are the schools? And has home burglary become a big deal in the rural areas around the city? Please keep in mind that Im from South Texas, from a town overrun by crummy Mexican thugs and their illegal foot soldiers. Even the County Sheriff is in cahoots with them to garner his Latino votes, if that tells you anything. And I had a friend that had a home outside of Gila for a few years and he would talk often about the home invasions and the lack of proper law enforcement in southern New Mexico. Im not trying to venture into politics either but I longer want to live in an area where my country is turning into a third world cesspool. Take it as you will but I'm a father now and I'm not going to have my daughter growing up in that kind of environment, where Hispanic populations are completely manipulating the system. I remember what a beautiful city Santa Fe was but I'd really like some honest feedback about the state of things in that part of the country. The position wouldn't begin until late spring but I need to make some moves so please let me know what you can. Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Do you want to live in town, or out of town? Have you looked at real estate prices in and around SF? You'd have to figure out what part of town you could afford to live in.

People raise kids here just fine. How are the schools? Well, there are a number of private schools in town, if that tells you anything. How old is your daughter? Some of the schools are better than others. It depends on where you'll be living. A friend of mine's oldest son just went off to college; he got a full scholarship, and is a science whiz. With Los Alamos National Lab nearby, there are opportunities to foster an interest in science, just fyi.

I haven't had a problem with crime here. Santa Fe is big on the arts, so if your daughter is artistically or musically inclined, she'll love it. There's a good ballet school in town, too.

One easy way to avoid home invasions is to use A/C, refrigerated air, so you don't have to leave a window open in the house.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:20 AM

140 posts, read 72,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you want to live in town, or out of town? Have you looked at real estate prices in and around SF? You'd have to figure out what part of town you could afford to live in.

People raise kids here just fine. How are the schools? Well, there are a number of private schools in town, if that tells you anything. How old is your daughter? Some of the schools are better than others. It depends on where you'll be living. A friend of mine's oldest son just went off to college; he got a full scholarship, and is a science whiz. With Los Alamos National Lab nearby, there are opportunities to foster an interest in science, just fyi.

I haven't had a problem with crime here. Santa Fe is big on the arts, so if your daughter is artistically or musically inclined, she'll love it. There's a good ballet school in town, too.

One easy way to avoid home invasions is to use A/C, refrigerated air, so you don't have to leave a window open in the house.
Hi there. Thanks for the reply! My daughter is actually only 9 months old. But theres no telling where things could go with this kind of work. If we were to end up staying there long term then i just wanted to make sure it would be my kind of place. I like cultural diversity, just not under the miserable circumstances i grew up with in Texas. The job itself is in the Pecos area but this would be seasonal, atleast for the time being, and my wife would prefer a small city with minimum amenities, and she makes jewelry so thats why im interested in Santa Fe. Or atleast the Santa Fe area. Im a welder but if I can get on with the Forest Service, even seasonally, I'll take it so i can climb the ladder(and its a hell of a ladder). Thanks for the info on crime. I just wanted to make sure the situation isn't out of control. Its much better to get direct info then to look at some crime map

Old 12-19-2017, 02:58 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,304,746 times
I just compared the crime rates between Austin, TX, where I live, and Santa Fe and found most of them to be very similar. Austin is considered a very safe city. I would not hesitate to make the move to Santa Fe. I spent a little more than a week there last year and had a great time. I walked everywhere and never felt at all unsafe during the visit.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:21 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Im not trying to venture into politics either but I longer want to live in an area where my country is turning into a third world cesspool. Take it as you will but I'm a father now and I'm not going to have my daughter growing up in that kind of environment, where Hispanic populations are completely manipulating the system.
Well, all elected officials manipulate the system. New Mexico has Hispanics in elected office, probably the majority of them. Read that as you may. New Mexico is not some white Nationalist utopia.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:17 AM

111 posts, read 46,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I just compared the crime rates between Austin, TX, where I live, and Santa Fe and found most of them to be very similar. Austin is considered a very safe city. I would not hesitate to make the move to Santa Fe. I spent a little more than a week there last year and had a great time. I walked everywhere and never felt at all unsafe during the visit.
Would that be an equal comparison since Austin is much larger than Santa Fe? Santa Fe's population is closer to 100k and Austin's is closer to 1 million.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:44 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,304,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie504 View Post
Would that be an equal comparison since Austin is much larger than Santa Fe? Santa Fe's population is closer to 100k and Austin's is closer to 1 million.
Yes, City-Data lists the crime rates per 100,000 people

Old 12-20-2017, 01:50 PM

72,663 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Hi there. Thanks for the reply! My daughter is actually only 9 months old. But theres no telling where things could go with this kind of work. If we were to end up staying there long term then i just wanted to make sure it would be my kind of place. I like cultural diversity, just not under the miserable circumstances i grew up with in Texas. The job itself is in the Pecos area but this would be seasonal, atleast for the time being, and my wife would prefer a small city with minimum amenities, and she makes jewelry so thats why im interested in Santa Fe. Or atleast the Santa Fe area. Im a welder but if I can get on with the Forest Service, even seasonally, I'll take it so i can climb the ladder(and its a hell of a ladder). Thanks for the info on crime. I just wanted to make sure the situation isn't out of control. Its much better to get direct info then to look at some crime map
Jewelry-making is perfect for Santa Fe. If you'll have seasonal work, though, I question whether you'll be able to afford to be in the city limits. SF has a bit of a resort-town economy, which means that housing prices (both to buy, and rent) are not in synch with the low wages. You may be in for a surprise. Or you might be able to find an affordable rental in the south end of town..

But that doesn't need to affect your general plans. You can look out in Santa Fe County, you can look in El Dorado, which is a sort of ex-urb of Santa Fe, and if necessary, you can go further out, and look in Glorieta, which would probably be more convenient for your work location, anyway. It's still close enough to be able to go into Santa Fe for shopping, jewelry-vending, and to enjoy SF's other amenities.

P.S. Santa Fe is not Texas. You'll see. And btw, most of the area's Hispanic families have been here for 400-500 years. They're the descendants of settlers from Spain, and some still have land grants. That's very important to understand and respect. Do NOT confuse them with the kind of people you're complaining about, and you'll get along fine, here.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-20-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 02:31 PM

1,019 posts, read 988,719 times
I have a friend that lives in Lamy NM which is an equal distance to Santa fe and to Pecos about 26 miles he loves it there

Old 12-25-2017, 01:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,483,983 times
If they are offering a paid PCS you could have your closing costs reimbursed....helped me very much when I moved from WA to TX. So glad to be back home in Fort Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or