Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Santa Fe: Madrid rental, house for sale, commute, painters, artist career.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 17,343 times

Advertisements

5. The Airport in ABQ is a nice drive on Hwy 25. If its not rush hour it is only about an hour or more.

6. I love to garden and have had to learn about gardening here versus the east coast. There are good garden centers here that are very helpful. I have converted my backyard to grow both ornamentals and vegetable. The season is short but it is possible. The Farmers market is nice but not the variety you would get back east. Plus it tends to be exspensive. Peppers, Tomatoes, squash, are the most dependable. Although being from the south I have collards, onions, potatoes, and cabbage growing right now. Peach and Apricot are also easy to grow.

7. The Chavez Center is the largest but there are many more. Just depends on what you are looking for. Yoga and Pilates everywhere. Swimming pools are another thing. Most of the city run gyms have them.

I hope this helps. Santa Fe is a great place. Check sfar.com for realestate. I can also recomend a great realtor. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
I don't know how sick your wife is. I have disabling chemical sensitivities. I'm looking at Santa Fe and Fort Collins, maybe the Boulder area, too. One thing to check into is fireplace use. The smoke can be quite a big problem.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM

107 posts, read 274,036 times
Taos is a great destination for lunch or dinner, about 50 min drive through the mountains.

Las Campanas is amazingly beautiful and expensive, Aldea, next door, not gated, is very nice too without the high price tag and has a few shops and a town square. Eldorado has unpaved roads and is a little further out.

It sounds like you and your wife would be a good fit for SF, but of course you'd want to check it out. It's one of those love/hate places. People I know seem to be about evenly divided on it.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM

146 posts, read 453,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post

2. Sports car- I own a Ferrari and the roads around the plaza are not the best, but going up to the ski basin is a dream. Las Campanas is gated and ALL the roads are paved. I believe some other gated communites can either be paved or gravel roads.
Keep the speed down Mr. Schumacher!!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
I moved here in 1995 from the northeast and love it. I have friends with motorcycles--it's a great place for them--the roads aren't as busy as the northeast and the views are gorgeous. There are community gardens although I am starting a small garden this year. The biggest problem is water. The community gardens are on wells while I have to pay for water so I might end up at a community garden next year. Some people have greenhouses to extend the season. You'll have to come visit.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM

23 posts, read 53,159 times
Don't even THINK about buying anything until you have lived in the area for a year or even more. RENT FIRST!!! It doesn't matter how many times you tell people this, they still make the mistake of buying before they know the area....but try not to make this mistake. New Mexico is just very, VERY different and you will change your mind about almost everything. Look before you leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe