Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 PM

17 posts, read 22,534 times

Advertisements

Do you know if SF has uber cycle? like for transporting ppl and a bike? He uses Uber here in TX, but none have bike racks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 04:19 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
If you're looking up to $1M, then you can find places in the historic eastside all the way up to the Summit (closest to the ski area). Southeast is also a good area to look in, although the neighborhoods immediately in the St. John's area may be out of reach. Casa Solana is a relatively older neighborhood (site of the Japanese internment camp for a little while during WW II, and most of the homes there were built in the 50s and 60s. Some have been remodeled and updated, but others have not. Many owners have converted their garages into bedrooms (most bedrooms are on the small side). From what you describe, I'm not sure Casa Solana would be all that appealing.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:46 AM

thank you for the info, the more I’ve looked into Casa Solana I dont think it’s what we are looking for. Are there any new developing areas that have a community feel, like Las Campanas but closer to the mountains/trails? Thanks for the info.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:58 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amachine View Post
thank you for the info, the more I’ve looked into Casa Solana I dont think it’s what we are looking for. Are there any new developing areas that have a community feel, like Las Campanas but closer to the mountains/trails? Thanks for the info.
"New" developing areas? Santa Fe has run out of growth options, as it's bounded by Indian reservations, and to the east--mountains. There are newish developments in the county south of town, but no hiking trails. And again, if you want the combination of walkable grocery stores, + hiking trails nearby, that really limits you.

Have you looked at real estate listings around the historic eastside district?

You could look at the Casa Alegre neighborhood; it's within walking distance to a supermarket/outdoor mall, and has parks and Some hiking to the west of it. But you might also like the neighborhood around St. John's College and Camino Cruz Blanca. There's a wonderful hiking trail in the national forest adjacent to that area, the Atalaya Trail. This part of town is at a higher elevation, and has nice views. The homes in that neighborhood might be more to your liking. No grocery store, though. Kaune's would deliver to that area.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-14-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amachine View Post
Well, let's see........You might like the Las Estrellas neighborhood, which has newer homes and is just northwest of town, a few minutes' drive to shopping at the DeVargas Mall. You can get townhomes or separate single family homes there and it's tied to the La Tierra Trails system. Monte Sereno is a subdivision of new and newer homes north of Las Estrellas to the west of Tesuque, but the homes and new townhomes there are a step up in quality and price than Las Estrellas, so a lot will have to do with your price range. I could recommend other areas, but without knowing how much you want to spend it's difficult to make any
"you really have to see this neighborhood" recommendations.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:14 PM

Thanks, we will check out the Casa Alegre neighborhood. We saw some lots for sale just north of the Las Estrellas area with “future development” signs and layouts of neighborhoods so that’s what I was referring to with regards to new developments. Hoping to stay at or under $1million if possible. St. john’s area was beautiful, but like you said, no close shopping. Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:26 PM

I hate to throw cold water on your search, but from what you've said, I don't think Casa Alegre is going to appeal to you either. It has many of the attributes I described for Casa Solana - same developer (Stamm), same vintage, same condition of homes. In your price range, you can look wherever you'd like. It's really all about your priorities. Contact me or any other Realtor of your choosing and I believe your search will be more fruitful - but hey, I'm biased - right?

Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 PM

oh, man. Ok. Well any neighborhood recs that are walkable to groceries and bikeable to trails would be appreciated.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:29 PM

Man, what you are asking for is pretty impossible to find in town - you'd have to pick one or the other (walk to shopping or close to trails). The only area I can think of that will allow both is the Eldorado community southeast of town about 15 miles. Eldorado has a great little shopping "center" with large supermarket, bank, post office/Fedex/UPS extension, bank, restaurants, etc. and it's very close to the Rail Trail which can take you to Santa Fe or Lamy and to miles of open land. Eldorado residents also have access to the 5000 acre Eldorado Wilderness. There are subdivisions close by there where homes are on 5 or 10 or 12.5 acre lots. Within a few miles south of there is the Galisteo Basin Preserve which (if they don't go bankrupt and sell out to developers) offers about 12,000 acres of open land for biking, horseback riding and hiking. You can buy a home in the Preserve, but it'll be about a 4-mile bike ride to shopping. I live in the Lamy area and I think it offers the best of both worlds.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I hate to throw cold water on your search, but from what you've said, I don't think Casa Alegre is going to appeal to you either. It has many of the attributes I described for Casa Solana - same developer (Stamm), same vintage, same condition of homes. In your price range, you can look wherever you'd like. It's really all about your priorities. Contact me or any other Realtor of your choosing and I believe your search will be more fruitful - but hey, I'm biased - right?
Well, I had in mind some of the remodeled and expanded homes in Casa Alegre, for the OP. There's a mix in there, of original architecture, and original-with-modern-add-ons.

The OP's going to be hard-pressed to find everything on her "must have" list, in one neighborhood, unless she finds something affordable on the eastside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe