Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 AM

336 posts, read 577,504 times

Advertisements

I prefer to live in Santa Fe but might also consider Taos. Please let me know your thoughts regarding Taos. I also posted on the New Mexico forum but there was no response.

Housing Costs
Safety
Medical
Restaurants
Weather

I hope you will weigh in! It is most appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Taos tends to be a little cooler, but still its hot in the summers. More snow in the winters, which is good, because there's a ski basin that attracts skiers from around the world.

I hadn't noticed it was unsafe.

Resataurants---good restaurant scene.

Housing: you can find affordable housing here and there, if you look. A lot of the houses around the edges of town look like summer places that have become winter places, though. They look kind of touristy. Like super-cute, quirky adobes. But if you look around in town, or to the south, in Ranchos De Taos, you should find rentals that are cheaper. Will you be renting, or buying?

My feeling is, that Taos is nice for a 3-day visit, but by the end of the 3rd day, you start noticing that it's just another dusty little town. There are motorcycle clubs that roar through, and roar around the plaza in circles, right when people are settling into the restaurants for dinner.

On the positive side, there's a lot of art and culture happening, for a small community. There are good people there. There was also a hippie contingent, as if Taos were the last bastion of the hippie movement, among some of the younger people, but that was years ago. I don't know if that's still true. There's a nice teahouse, a local business making a variety of dry teas for sale, lots of cottage businesses of that sort. THere's a popular grocery store. There used to be a summer international music festival; I don't know if that's still happening.

Traffic can be slow on the main drag through town, which is also a major highway, and gets trucks going through, as well as tourists, but there are side roads the locals use, to avoid that.

Anything else you'd like to know? I like it as an escape from SF, because it has more water, and it's greener. It's like my little respite from the "big city" of Santa Fe. There's a lot of scenic beauty there.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 AM

26 posts, read 25,308 times
Oops, I never saw your reply, Ruth4Truth! Good information. I prefer Santa Fe, but it is getting so expensive. My plan is to buy. Rancho de Taos looks nice. I’m concerned about medical though since I’m of retirement age. I do love snow though, so that would be nice.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSass View Post
Oops, I never saw your reply, Ruth4Truth! Good information. I prefer Santa Fe, but it is getting so expensive. My plan is to buy. Rancho de Taos looks nice. I’m concerned about medical though since I’m of retirement age. I do love snow though, so that would be nice.
I don't know the medical care situation in Taos. There must be a hospital somewhere around there. Santa Fe, with the new hospital, is well set, medically, by comparison.

Alternatively, you could consider Glorieta, outside Santa Fe, which is significantly cheaper, and you'd still have access to SF medical care and hospitals. Taos isn't cheap for buying, but as I posted earlier, you can find more affordable places scattered around, with a little patience. They might not be quaint or grand architecture, but they'll be solid and cozy.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
We (my wife and I) would prefer Santa Fe over Taos.

Taos is too far from other family members. Taos is just too small and isolated. We have lived in "Rural" areas, we just like larger cities.

Other Opinions:
Where to move -- Santa Fe/Taos Area?
Taos or Santa Fe?
Couple in their eary 20s relocating to ...santa fe or taos ?
Relocating to Taos or Santa Fe - Info needed
Racial Tension in Santa Fe / Taos Area?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I was just in Taos a couple weeks ago (before the snow). It is a nice place that caters to tourists and is in a beautiful setting. They have a new University of New Mexico campus just south of town. There's a lot of literary and art history and things to see. A lot of galleries and museums. The Earth Ship community is west of town across the Rio Grande gorge. Taos is close to skiing if that is important. Skiing in the winter and tourism in the summer keeps the place busy. I found it hard to get around but I suppose locals know how to get through the bottlenecks. Taos is pretty small and is a little isolated but nice.

Santa Fe is a lot bigger version of Taos -- very artsy, lots of tourists, skiing, history, scenic. Lots of museums. Canyon Road is possibly the best gallery row in the US. Traffic can be frustrating but they are trying to make it better and once you figure out the pattern it is mostly OK. There is a shuttle around town. The economy includes state government which is stable from year to year. There's a new hospital. Santa Fe is on the interstate and that makes it less isolated. My impression (might be wrong) is that Santa Fe has a stronger civic awareness and involvement.

Housing Costs -- I only know people who have built homes in Taos ($$$)-- Santa Fe can be pricey depending on where you are in town but there are reasonable neighborhoods.
Safety -- not a serious issue in either place as far as I know.
Medical -- Santa Fe wins this topic with the new hospital
Restaurants -- I have never gotten a bad meal in Santa Fe and some have been very memorable. Taos is just OK, not bad. This is the land of red or green chile but it can be a crutch for mediocre cooking.
Weather -- Taos will be colder and probably has more snow. Summers are probably about the same. Both are at about 7,000 ft in elevation. Some people can't handle the elevation.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was just in Taos a couple weeks ago (before the snow). It is a nice place that caters to tourists and is in a beautiful setting. They have a new University of New Mexico campus just south of town. There's a lot of literary and art history and things to see. A lot of galleries and museums. The Earth Ship community is west of town across the Rio Grande gorge. Taos is close to skiing if that is important. Skiing in the winter and tourism in the summer keeps the place busy. I found it hard to get around but I suppose locals know how to get through the bottlenecks. Taos is pretty small and is a little isolated but nice.
For an isolated community, Taos has a lot going on. I know of no other communities of that small size, that have so many cultural offerings, and Taos offers a wide variety of them. With a new college campus nearby, that makes it even more attractive. It also brings jobs to the area. And yes, locals know how to avoid the main bottleneck in town.

Thanks for your post!

Old 11-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For an isolated community, Taos has a lot going on. I know of no other communities of that small size, that have so many cultural offerings, and Taos offers a wide variety of them.
City, Population, County, Category

Taos 5,716 Taos Town

Less population than Taos, but yet thriving, popular, and some nice features:

Tucumcari 5,363 Quay City
Placitas 4,977 Sandoval CDP
Bosque Farms 3,904 Valencia Village
Edgewood 3,735 Santa Fe Bernalillo Town
Peralta 3,660 Valencia Town

Old 11-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
City, Population, County, Category

Taos 5,716 Taos Town

Less population than Taos, but yet thriving, popular, and some nice features:

Tucumcari 5,363 Quay City
Placitas 4,977 Sandoval CDP
Bosque Farms 3,904 Valencia Village
Edgewood 3,735 Santa Fe Bernalillo Town
Peralta 3,660 Valencia Town
To some extent, Los Alamos, which has a symphony, and art fairs, and science lectures, but still, it's nothing compared to Taos, and it doesn't have Native culture nearby, like Taos does.

I actually meant, when I made that "no other communities' statement--nationwide, not NM. There may be a few around the US, like Asheville, that have local cultural events going on, crafts, bluegrass music, and the like. But they still don't have the wide variety that Taos does: fine art galleries up the wazoo, Native art galleries, a number of museums, the winter and summer Native community feast days, a chamber music ensemble and orchestra, lecture events--even more so, now that there's a college nearby, I think a member of the Nikolai Fechin family still runs a summer fine art school up there, and so on. Of course, Santa Fe has all that and more, but it's 10 times the size of Taos.

I'm not familiar with what the towns you list have to offer.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not familiar with what the towns you list have to offer.
I have, or had friends living in three of those towns. I have been to all those towns probably 10 times or more. In all honesty, Taos is worth visiting if you are in the area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe