Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

Then there is the railroad. I really like old time railroads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:20 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Default Cost of living in Chama

I've been looking at the place to buy for years and build on in a few years. I've always wonder why the land is high with lack of people living there. I guess it is because I want water, view and area.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
Default Chama weather

I'll be visiting Chama from August 9 through the 15. How's the summer weather? I need to know what type of clothing to pack. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Can be anything from cold and wet to warm and dry. Typically, lows in the mid- to high 40's, with high's in the 70's and 80's, with thundershowers common in the afternoon or early evening. Sunscreen is a must. Frost is not uncommon in the high country by mid-August. The old adage of dressing in layers holds true.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM

I go every September and will be there at the end of September for a couple weeks. It is warm during the day (maybe sweatshirt type) and cool at night. We have a fireplace in the cabin we rent each year so we get to build a fire. I personally love the area. We stay at Corkins. Where are you staying? Be sure to take the train.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 AM

18 posts, read 65,792 times
We spend several weeks a year in the Chama area, check out the Timbers, what a beautiful place.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,194 times
Default Looking at Chama New Mexico

Anyone have any information on Chama New Mexico. I've looked at pictures and it doesn't look as dry as some parts of New Mexico.

My husband and I are looking to buy some land with or without a home. We have a wish list for the property to have:
1. Water, a well or some other source of water
2. land where a few animals can graze.
3. Some trees prefered
4. Exposure to sun so we can use solar
5. Nice to have land adjoin forest land or other natural areas.

We currently live in Chattanooga Tennessee and want to live in a more remote pristine area. Can't find much of that in the East, but if anyone has a good idea of where finding the above, we are open to all suggestions!

Thanks so much!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 AM

I've been looking at Chama for years. I spend two weeks each September there. I love it. Now it is remote. I've checked medical and not being Indian I can't use the Dulce medical . Personally none of that bothers me because right now I am rural and it is 30 minutes to the local grocery store.

Have you been to Chama? Now a lot of people buy in Chama West where they are 10 acre parcels for horses. I've been looking at being close to Sergent Wildlife so my husband can walk for days if he wants.

Another Place I've been eyeing is Trinidad, CO on the Santa Fe Trail Subdivision which are 35 area parcels with water and elect to the site and it is open range so you can have animals but you are in the mountains. I've been raising cattle for many years now so I would love to still be around them in retirement.

Chattanogga is a nice city but does not get any kind of winter compared to Chama. Now for me that is a plus. I love hard winters. We've lived in the mountains before and here in Eastern OK what they call winter is wearing a coat and having to wait until the sun melts the 2 inches of snow off the ground BUT....iT IS MUCH EASIER RAISING A HERD OF CATTLE HERE than I would imagine in the mountains of Chama.

We'll be making our move when our ranch sells which really isn't on the market until next year and I am thinking it might take a while to sell this amount of land during a recession but will see. When we move it is retirement.

I've been to a lot of real estate offices in Chama. I consider it to be expensive for what we want but boy if you like wilderness it is worth it.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM

PS. You have this listed under Santa Fe. It is 2 hours north of Santa Fe. Right at the Co border. If you want trees and pristine you got to look at Chama, if you need a job I doub't you would find one there. We will be retired and not looking for jobs is why I have it on the top of my list.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,681 times
The grocery store is now more expensive than going to Whole Foods. Be sure to get rid of your CA and TX plates before you get here. Don't expect to have friends like you had where ever you are coming from. Be ready for cold winters. Mostly it's colder here than coastal Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe