U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 AM

950 posts, read 2,107,167 times
Yes, good post, Vertigo7. Maybe you should mention that the tourists could hit the Museum Hill area. Less crowded and they could learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,285,653 times
Since this thread has recently been 'bumped' please note that many of the negative posts are more than a year old so responding to them might feel cathartic, the original poster is long gone and won't benefit from your feedback - no matter how well deserved said spanking might be.

(Responses from last week don't contain the date of the quoted text.)

If it gets too negative in here, EnjoyEP will sweep down from on high (or low, considering he is in Milwaukee) and padlock the thread lickety-split so beware!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 PM

70 posts, read 145,994 times
I Love Santa Fe And Would Love To Live There If I Could Get A Teaching Job. Currently I Teach In Phila. At Central High And Will Retire In June. I'm Passionate About Pueblo Pottery And Visit The Pueblos To Buy. (best Prices And You Get To Meet The Potters.) The Best Time To Eat Out At The Better Resturants Is For Lunch. You Can Walk Around The Whole City Even If You Usually Don't Walk Much. The People Are Very Friendly, And I Like It Best In The Spring Before All The Tourists Come. I Loved The Opera This Summer! My Visit To Ghost Ranch And Georgia O Keefe Country Blew Me Away. I Came Home Annd Made Great Tapesty Weavings. My Heart Is There.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,986 times
I am responding to the negative post about Santa Fe that was made in March of 2007. My replies are below his/her reactions:

1. I tihnk the cost of living is very high.... and I come from Orange County, CA!
Me: The fact that you think a t-shirt should cost a dollar means that you don't know what it takes to make a society. It's about TRADE! You want quality, you pay for quality. You talk aobut how much water costs, rent, and more?! Why do you think prices are so high. If you can live without thinking that EVERYTHING is necessary to living, I doubt things would seem so expensive to you. But I make some assumptions....assuming that you are a spendthrift, entitled, like most shopalic Americans.

2. The New Mexico education system sucks so be prepared to deal with lots of idiots!

Me: What have you done to help? You expect to live here, but not take responsiblity? Most Foundations giving in Santa Fe focus on Education. Look around you, there are traditional and new forms of education everywhere. You must have been hanging out with the bottom feeders of Santa Fe (bottom feeders hang out with bottom feeders you know) to say that you dealt with lots of idiots.

3. The roads suck, and suck even more so when it snows becuase they don't salt anything or have nearly enough plows.
Me: Orange County eh? Plow or salt your own road. Few times has there ever been so much snow that it has made it difficult to drive. Plus, you sound like someone who might enjoy a "snow day," since few were had in your youth.

4. If you are used to big chain stores and lots of strip malls you will be disappointed. There is a Best Buy, but no Circuit City or CompUSA. There is a Home Depot, but only recently did we also get a Lowes. There are only two Grocery Store chains in town unless you count Whole Foods. (Which I dont!) Generally, fast food places are all very, very over priced and the quality is inferior to their out-of-state or even Albuquerque counterparts.

Me: The downfall of America and YOUR HEALTH is the fact that you complain about over priced fast food. What happened to cooking for yourself? Have you ever been to a locally owned restaurant? Oh no, I forgot you worry about anything over priced. Ever been to the Farmers' Market? Quality isn't cheap and if you are thinking that food should be cheap you are wrong. But, go ahead and contribute to the gluttous circle, consuming FAKE food, and getting your "gratification" instantly. As for the big chain stores. Is that what you want? Go to Phoenix!!! Some people are trying to do without the corporate "parent."
Ps. Someone who thinks eating at McDonalds is a good idea, doesn't get to have an opinion about food.

5. For some reason the no one can explain to me (including my state represetative and senator) the price of gas here is very high!
Me: Ride a bike Moderator cut: personal flame What do you even drive? It was in our childhoods that driving willy nilly was okay. Times are different. Perhaps you can adjust.

6. The price of water is EXTREMELY high!
Me: Again, look around you. Santa Fe doesn't have endless water. The planet doesn't either. Is everyone this self entitled in California?

7. If you are not inclined to vote for Hilary in the upcoming election then you probably won't like it here. The political climate seems more liberal that San Fransisco if you can believe it.
Me: ugh.

8. Medical facilities here are terrible. There is one hospital, St. Vincents... it should be renamed St. Victims. If you value you health care you have to go to Albuquerque.
Me: No comment. I don't know enough about it.

9. The Food! If you like Hot as Hell TexMex stuff you might like it here. Personally I can't stand any of the "Mexican" food here. It is very different than Mexican food in California and with few exceptions, I think it all sucks.
Me: It's "NEW MEXICAN" food. Gee Golly, no wonder it tastes different. Never cook for yourself?

10. Bad Drivers! I have driven all over the country and New Mexico has the worst damn drivers I have ever seen! There is one major interchange in this entire state and no one here can seem to grasp the concept. It doesn't matter if you are on the freeway in Albuquerque, the Interstate, or just driving around the streets of Santa Fe.... bad drivers everywhere!
Me: I'm sorry, you said you were from California correct? Hmmm. Interesting. Get used to it. Driving is not treated as it should be. A lot of things are treated as they should be. I'll bet you don't show by example though....every man out for himself...get used to it.

Those are my top 10 complaints about Santa Fe. If I was planning to stay in New Mexico I would move to Albuquerque in a heartbeat. Bad drivers aside, I like Albuquerque... the rest of the state pretty much blows as a place to live. there are lots of cool things to see and do while visiting here. Santa Fe is an awesome place to visit on a vacation... but is way to ass backwards for me to tolerate living here much longer.
Me: Santa Fe is an awesome place to visit. It is a challange to live there. But what are we doing to remedy any difficulties we have? Can't there be a place to live and celebrate and work for? We can't ALL be entitled or nothing will get done. It is a tourist town, but it is changing. What ever happened to community? Can we make a community? Can everyone hold themselves responsible? And now, to a local "watering hole" with some GREAT live music!!

Last edited by Towanda; 07-01-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM

An addition. Santa Fe now has a second hospital -- Physician's Medical Center and it is excellent.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,179,801 times
Devin, I hadn't heard that. Where is it located?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Default Imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Devin, I hadn't heard that. Where is it located?
If you go south down St. Francis, there is a road you take to Rodeo East (I forget the name). Instead take that road across Rodeo and continue to the end. It is mostly for surgery but does (I believe) have an emergency room. If you want your surgery there, then you have to choose a doctor who practices there.

IMO -- it is enough better to influence my choice of a doctor.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 PM

25,123 posts, read 11,253,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Burke View Post
I sure wasn't impressed with Santa Fe. The city was highly touted by ritzy artists of the past like Georgia O'Keefe. I saw lots of deplorable "kitschy" art. That is, lots of mediocre pictures of adobe huts, vapid landscapes and native peasants making pottery. This was amid over-priced knick-knacks and eateries. In short, it's a bill of goods. A thoroughly tasteless and phony atmosphere.
Funny. Some people seem to skip along the surface and never delve off away from the travel brochure-type aspects of Santa Fe. Hope you don't mind another native peasant passing through!

I love Santa Fe, always have~from the first moment I was there. I am el pobre indio, never played the touristy type, nor based my opinions on any travel brochures with O'Keefe paintings on the cover.

One doesn't need to have megabucks to enjoy great and interesting Native American art. As for food, I once had nothing more than tortillas and coffee, while enjoying the beauty and silence of the mountains. It is what is one's heart that allows one to enjoy the purest form of appreciation.

We will be traveling through Santa Fe next week and plan to just take our time and sit a spell. I am on a mission this time though. I am looking to buy bead supplies for my friends here in Oklahoma. Normally we stop in ABQ for that.

Of course as a native, I blend in quite well with my extended familia, those that strive to be happy as a bird in the sky! I have enjoyed reading this thread.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_9495.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
Default Sante fe to sedoa

Hi. I am travelling from sante fe to sedona in march and would like a one night stop in between. A travel agent recommended gallup but what i've read has been pretty awful. Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:10 PM

918 posts, read 1,739,367 times
You could consider stopping short in Grants. I'm sure Gallup was recommended because it splits the difference better. You'll still have over four hours from Grants to Sedona, but if you have any interest in doing something along the way you could visit Acoma pueblo or hike along the ridge over looking the El Malpais. Then stay the night in Grants and head out in the morning. It's really the only other alternative I could see that would come close to splitting up the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe