Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 04:00 PM

146 posts, read 453,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
So this thread starts as "moving to Santa Fe, any advice?"

My advice will always be bring bags and bags of money, cause you gonna need it.

I take it the cost of living in Santa Fe is $$$high$$$???

I assume you are not talking home prices, rather the everyday cost of living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 04:14 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Default COL -- reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
I take it the cost of living in Santa Fe is $$$high$$$???

I assume you are not talking home prices, rather the everyday cost of living?
Cost of living statistic are available. Housing is higher in Santa Fe, but in other areas the differences are at most a few percentage points.

Let's be reasonable. The fact is that SF has the the big boys like Walmart and Sam's and Home Depot and the prices are nation-wide. If you can buy an automobile or a kitchen appliance cheaper in ABQ, then drive there and get it. If the difference is not worth the gas, then what are we worried about??

Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
I have lived all over the country. Dining, gas, goods, housing, rent..it is all more expensive in Fanta Se for me than most of the rest of the country. Experience it yourself, and let me know your opinion. Mine is that it is pretty expensive to live here, and the salaries and pay do not help out with that. All kinds of people living here just to live here and working 3 jobs waiting tables.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
I agree that there are not many professional jobs but it's not much different in Olympia WA where I last lived--another state capital about the same size as Santa Fe. Overall, I don't find it more expensive than living in Olympia. Some things are more, some less. I could not afford to buy a house in WA but I'm buying a house here. I also couldn't find as good a paying job in WA as I have here. If I were coming here without a job, I would not move to Santa Fe--I'd go to ABQ but Lovehound isn't looking for full-time work. I feel the quality of life compared to cost of living is good in SF but naturally it's not for everyone.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Default Reality check

The sad fact is that most of the things most of us buy come out of national or international distribution systems. Our prices will be determined by how far we are from point of origin, and how far we are from hubs in the distribution system and how much local competition there is to hold down prices.

My impression is that LC and ABQ are distribution hubs and will have lower prices. Santa Fe is quite close to ABQ and has enough local competition to hold down prices.

Want to see real high cost of living -- look elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
So this thread starts as "moving to Santa Fe, any advice?"

My advice will always be bring bags and bags of money, cause you gonna need it.
Aw come on Vinny, I'm from Los Angeles. In my terms SF is an affordable city.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM

146 posts, read 453,074 times
I must admit, I am considering Santa Fe for the quality of life (outdoor activities, great people, great food, etc.) rather than the cost of living.

Perhaps this a wild choice @ 37 yrs. old. I am giving up a good job, low cost of living, great retirement plan, great health insurance and a free vehicle to use. However, tomorrow is promised to no one and I want to live now!

In my opinion, everything in life is rented not owned! In other words, you can't take it with when your time is up. So, who really cares about having everything?!! Most people that have everything, find out they really have nothing.

Ok, time to step down from the soap box.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
In my opinion, everything in life is rented not owned!
Your body is rented not owned. When you're evicted, try arguing otherwise with the Lord. I admit I'm not religious, but you get the idea. Doesn't matter if you are religious. End result same anyway.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:05 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
Lovehound, I did not say L.A. is inexpensive. I think Santa Fe is comparable to NYC and L.A. I'm saying that if you move from Iowa, Kansas City, Minneapolis, or Atlanta the cost of living will be in all likelihood more expensive for you than those places, and employment opportunities and pay are scarcer in Fanta Se.

If you are not looking for full-time employment here, you can of course find a place to live and then live frugally. You can do that almost anywhere.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
If you are not looking for full-time employment here, you can of course find a place to live and then live frugally. You can do that almost anywhere.
One thing for sure, if I move to SF I promise to not do a single lick of work, or at least not any work that I wouldn't do for the fun anyway.

I suspect that SF is less expensive than LA and NYC because SF real estate appears to be less expensive to a degree. I expect a box of cereal or a NY steak probably costs about the same in most metropolitan areas. Same for gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe