U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,334,869 times

Advertisements

Nice post, Lovehound.

Frankly, I would rather not anyone even consider moving to Santa Fe if they are already looking for negative things to say about it. They have a lot of other choices for retirement.

I am moving to hot, dusty, expensive Eldorado "quite a ways from Santa Fe" (LOL) in TWO WEEKS .... and I could not be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,153,721 times
Thanks Towanda.

I don't know if I adequately explained the price situation particularly with regard to "you out of towners are moving in and paying your big city dollars and increasing the prices so much we natives can't afford to live here anymore." Let me try again, with an analogy.

Let's say you have a really big swamp and you own a parcel of land there. All the other land owners like the swamp the way it is but you want a lake, so you hook up a hose and start filling your part of the swamp until it gets deeper and deeper and deeper until finally you have your lake. Unfortunately now the entire swamp is a lake, not a swamp. The other swamp land owners complain that "we don't like you lake lovers coming here with your water and making our swamp so deep that we can't live like we used to."

The analogy behind this is that water is free to flow wherever it wants and it seeks its own level, so you can't fill just one part of a swamp. With housing values, people are free to move and buy houses wherever they want, so due to supply and demand forces the housing prices of your lovely town are going to increase just like that water filled the entire swamp.

America has a free market economy and people can live and buy houses wherever they like. Your housing prices are going up in Santa Fe because my prices and those other guy's prices and everybody's prices all over the land are going up. Housing is a commodity and there are no safe harbors from being subjected to increased prices, not in Santa Fe and not anywhere else.

It's a shame to see your home town change in ways that you don't like, but you can't blame "people who aren't from here" for ruining it. It's not the fault of the people moving in. It's the fault of having a free market. That is where the blame lies, and there's nothing you can do about having a free market. So you might as well start making friends with those people who are moving into your home town. They're your new neighbors.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:04 PM

950 posts, read 2,154,239 times
Default A grain of salt and the market at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I disagree. Many people who grew up in Santa Fe are being forced out because of the cost. I do have to say Santa Fe would be one of the last places I would retire to unless I had a good amount of disposable income. I would rather retire somewhere where my dollar went farther.
I take a lot that I hear with a grain of salt. Somebody buys a newer, bigger home in Rio Rancho. That's not forced out.

Somebody can't afford to live near the Plaza. So they live farther from the Plaza. That's not forced out.

If you don't retire here -- that's great. That is the market at work. You are doing your bit to hold down prices in Santa Fe.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,153,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Somebody can't afford to live near the Plaza. So they live farther from the Plaza. That's not forced out.
I wouldn't want to live near the Plaza. Please tell me if I'm right or not, but that's the epicenter of the worst traffic jams and the busiest part of SF. You might want to go there for dining and entertainment, but I think you'd want to live away from there in a quieter neighborhood. I'd like to live on the outskirts, and drive into town, to the Plaza area, if I have business there or want to dine in a nice restaurant or go to a museum or something. Right?

Quote:
If you don't retire here -- that's great. That is the market at work. You are doing your bit to hold down prices in Santa Fe.
Exactly.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:45 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,344,609 times
I don't have to retire to Santa Fe...I already live in Santa Fe. When and if I retire somewhere, I just doubt it will be Santa Fe.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,552,952 times
Devin Bent and his problem:

> Originally Posted by Vinegaroon
> > ... people that work in Santa Fe cannot afford to live there,
> > and have chosen to ... commute, ... [ ... from Albuquerque ... ] ...

> I have problems with this article. A woman and her husband are
> offered as an example of someone who can't afford Santa Fe.

My problem is how can they afford the commute to and from Santa Fe?

They can afford that, but can't afford a house there?

Nope. No sir. I don't get it.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM

Default Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I wouldn't want to live near the Plaza. Please tell me if I'm right or not, but that's the epicenter of the worst traffic jams and the busiest part of SF. You might want to go there for dining and entertainment, but I think you'd want to live away from there in a quieter neighborhood. I'd like to live on the outskirts, and drive into town, to the Plaza area, if I have business there or want to dine in a nice restaurant or go to a museum or something. Right?
It is busy at tourist season which are ski season and especially summer. The rest of the time it is reasonable. A week ago Wednesay at 11 AM, I drove up Galisteo to San Francisco, and across the bottom of the Plaza with scarcely another car moving. You can get good deals for staying at La Fonda.

The Art Fairs in the summer are bumper to bumper.

I would not want to live near the Plaza -- you are not going to do your day-to-day living there and even some of the museums are on Museum Hill.

But many people are into prestige and "walking distance of the Plaza" is prestigious. I am just as happy that people like that are not buying in my neighborhood.

But during the summer art fairs -- it is crazy.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:16 PM

327 posts, read 679,345 times
Quote:
But many people are into prestige and "walking distance of the Plaza" is prestigious
Strangely enough, several clients I've been working with want to be within "walking distance of Trader Joes" Seems much more sensible to me...

Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,334,869 times
Here's a question for you guys ~ during the summer art fairs and Fiesta, etc. do they run shuttles from some places at the outskirts of town for us to ride into the downtown area?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:47 PM

Default A deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Here's a question for you guys ~ during the summer art fairs and Fiesta, etc. do they run shuttles from some places at the outskirts of town for us to ride into the downtown area?
Last year as I remember they had parking areas further out and shuttles. I assume that they will do the same every year. Much rides on people showing up -- sales and Santa Fe's status as a major art center.

Santa Fe is not going to blow it. After all -- what a deal -- the most tourists show up for the worst weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe