U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,206,579 times

Advertisements

what businesses are there, such as walmart, barnes and noble, things like that. and is the walmart a super walmart. also is there a university there? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM

908 posts, read 2,387,539 times
Default Santa Fe colleges and big box stores department chain

It sounds like you're mainly asking about big box stores. I don't know about Barnes & Noble, but there is a Borders at Zafarano (in the area where Rodeo Road and Cerrillos road intersect) and another in Sanbusco center off of Guadalupe and Montezuma. There are Walgreens, Target, Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowes, Kmart and the China-Mart you mentioned. The Wal-Mart is not a superstore. There's also a Sam's Club.

There are two main malls and an outlet mall. There are number of smaller strip malls and specialty malls around town and off the plaza.

Santa Fe Place (I still call this Villa Linda Mall) With Dillard's, Sears, Mervyns(Still open?) and JC Penny's for anchors.
Welcome to Santa Fe Place (http://www.shopsantafeplace.com/index.cfm - broken link)

De Vargas Center (Near the Plaza) I guess you could call the Hastings/CVS/Office Depots anchors.
http://www.devargascenter.com/

As for colleges, the main ones I know of are:

St. John's
St. John’s College

College of Santa Fe
http://www.csf.edu/

Santa Fe Community College
Santa Fe Community College, NM - Home Page

Last edited by ziaAirmac; 01-14-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added some links

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM

405 posts, read 1,126,750 times
I have to follow Jaadas question with another question...what is the deal with "Cerrillos"?! I see that street in everything i read including living and shopping areas. Is it somewhere good to live?!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM

Not particularly. It's one of the 'main drags' along with St Michael's Drive, St. Francis Drive and Rodeo Road. Cerrillos is zoned business on almost it's entire length through town. There are homes on the streets just off of Cerrillos, but for the most part it could be a strip in any town in the U.S. For that reason it doesn't exactly have the character you might find in some other areas. Cerrillos is overwhelmed as an artery, and living near it means you'd be using it regularly to do your daily stuff. It can get old quick. It was named Cerrillos Road because at one time it was literally the road out of the heart of Santa Fe to Cerrillos, a town to the south.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM

405 posts, read 1,126,750 times
Wow! Thanks for the input... we are looking for housing (were TRYING for N. SF) and it seems whereever you look....everything I find is located just off of Cerrillos!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

I think from a real estate perspective, it's a buzz line in Santa Fe like saying "and you're just minutes from the freeway.". It's considered a plus because it is a main artery, busy or not. Then again, so is I-40 in Albuquerque, and I'd rather beat out my own flaming head with a sledgehammer than live next to it. Also, since Cerrillos is an old artery, most of the homes near it are older, and relatively reasonable in price. I understand wanting to be on the north side. It's beautiful in the foot hills, but that is where a lot of the price inflation has occurred. There's a lot of knowledgeable locals on this forum. If you give them some specifics as to what you're looking for (price range/proximity to places/amenities) they might have some suggestions you haven't considered. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM

147 posts, read 378,257 times
zia,

When and how much further do you think the Santa Fe housing will decline, before bottoming out?

12 - 18 mos.??

another 15 - 20 % drop??

I must admit, at the current level, I am not a buyer!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM

332 posts, read 876,686 times
Default Quien Sabe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
zia,

When and how much further do you think the Santa Fe housing will decline, before bottoming out?

12 - 18 mos.??

another 15 - 20 % drop??

Of course the real answer is "nobody knows". We can all opine as much as we want (and those of you who read Joe Monahan's excellent political blog will have noticed that even he has decided he knows about the Santa Fe real estate market), but the answer is "it depends".
It depends on people feeling confident enough to get a mortgage - even at historic low rates, the banks here are aggressively marketing mortgages and can't find enough buyers.
It depends on the rest of the US - all of us realtors have a clutch of anxious buyers who can't make a move until their house in San Diego/ Scottsdale/Connecticut home is sold
It depends on people's overall confidence
It depends on whether the Santa Fe market will just steadily plough through the 18 months of inventory on hand, or whether as soon as things pick up there'll be a flood of resales suddenly coming online.

So, who knows? When the market starts picking up, rates will probably start going up too. So now might be a great time to buy.
Or it might not ;-}

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM

125 posts, read 372,713 times
Walmart (not super walmart) - the closest super walmart is in Espanola (30 miles away)
Borders Book store
Michaels
Office Depot and Office Max
one shopping mall with the regular assortment of JC Penny's, etc.

there is a small university called St. John's - it's an "alternative" curriculum liberal arts college
there's also the Santa Fe Community College

Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,884,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
zia,

12 - 18 mos.??

another 15 - 20 % drop??

Before writing off buying in Santa Fe check out the two affordable housing non-profits. Santa Fe Community Housing Trust
Santa Fe Community Housing Trust and Homewise Homewise, your partner in homeownership I bought a house through the affordable housing programs last year--I never expected to be able to buy anything in Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe