Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 AM

38 posts, read 127,142 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what suggestions people have for hotels in Santa Fe?

I was there a couple of years ago and stayed at The Inn of The Governors, and plan a return visit later this spring (2008). I've been researching hotels close to the plaza but seem a bit overwhelmed by it all (not usual for me lol). I'd like something quaint, close to everything with complimentary breakfasts and a nice quiet ambiance. Nothing too fancy nothing too pedestrian.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
I have been visiting Santa Fe for over 35 years, and I never stay in any of the fancy and expensive hotels in the downtown area. Too pricey and pretentious for my tastes.

I do know that my daughter researched and found a number of very nice bed and breakfasts in the city, and stayed in one she really liked several years ago. If I were planning to spend the big bucks, I would stay at one of those.

If I weren't so cheap.

Or I might consider La Fonda, just for all the history there.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
I personally like the Hotel St. Francis. It might not be fancy enough for some, but it suits me. I'm not sure if it meets your requirements or not, you could look into that.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 AM

Default Haunted Hotels

Yes, La Fonda is interesting, our "Ghost Walk Tour" guide told us stories of it being haunted along with La Posada. I'm trying to steer away from those lol.

Yes I did check out Hotel St. Francis. I would try a local condo but we'll be in Scottsdale at a nice condo for the week previous and would be nice to do something "different". Being from the Midwest it's nice to have that different Southwestern ambience. Great city too!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,664 times
I think your choice of a few years ago was a good one - Inn of the Governors. La Fonda's great too. The rap on St Francis is that the bedrooms are very small.
La Posada is superb, and has great facilities. If you want to be a bit out of town, in a really different, interesting place, there's the Inn at Sunrise Springs.
All our hotels are offering deals out of season, so be sure to ask for them!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
El Dorado is quite nice.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 PM

203 posts, read 714,212 times
I often stay in the St. Francis (8-9 times per year). On priceline Im able to get an off-season room for $60 on weekdays and $80 on weekends. It's less pretentious than most of the downtown hotels but does provide full service and amenities. I have always found the St. Francis staff to be the most courteous, professional yet down-to-earth in SF. I've walked in looking halfway like a street-crazy, and had the desk clerks treat me with good humor and respect.

As I've posted elsewhere, I think the St Francis food & beverage personnel are the best for service in Santa Fe.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Jewels385 wonders about the Best Hotels in Santa Fe:

> I was there a couple of years ago and stayed at The Inn of The Governors, ...

You stayed there and didn't find it good enough to want to return?

Relative to other places located near the square, it's inexpensive, but first-rate. Their breakfast buffet is to die for.

When I find something that works, I stick with it. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Santa Fe hotels

No one said anything about not finding the previous hotel not good enough. Not sure where that is coming from.

I'm looking to expand my experiences there -

Variety is the spice of life.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,535 times
Default A different experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels385 View Post

I'm looking to expand my experiences there -

Variety is the spice of life.
For a different experience, consider Bishops Lodge. Just a couple miles from the plaza out Bishops Lodge Road (Washington Street), a part of Santa Fe history, and a resort with respectable acreage. When we went there the landscaping was just a tad run-down at the edges, but nothing to keep you from going there.

Bishop Lamy (Willa Cather's Death Comes to the Archbishop) really did live there and you can still visit his chapel.

Use one of the services to get a decent price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe