Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:46 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapmuz View Post
Illegal immigrants are costing SF double of what our K-12 does. It is a crying shame that we are rated 2nd to the last in school systems in the US. Most of the students in SF are hispanic and putting more money in our school district would be beneficial not only to SF but to all the upcoming hispanic community.
This, welfare and medical abuse is by far what is giving them a bad name. They are NOT bad people and think in their shoes what we offer in terms of welfare(wouldn't really go as far as to say education unless you factor in free lunch as MX has decent education) as matter of fact I find most people who come from other countries sees our welfare as a bonus. They don't have that and it is a no brainer for them as oppose to us who see these things as shameful. This is just wrong and no one told them it was.

I actually have lived in Mexico myself and my daughter attended 1st grade there and guess what? It was free. All I had to show was her BC and proof of address. They even gave us loaner uniforms. I am not sure what the government there pays for each kid but here it is 4-6,000 a kid and I believe ESL kids may be more. When you add the million plus undocumented kids in school here(US) that is a pretty penny! If there were that many kids in MX doing this I highly doubt it would of been free.

I just wish instead of bashing illegals and coming up with these stupid wall plans I wish they would do more enforcing, charging and security on welfare applications and find the money to offset the kids educations from either Mexico or tax paying illegals. Many illegal workers pay taxes and use TIN numbers so that could be a start. There has got to be stricter enforcement on welfare applications they need to do in person interviews and match their info. I do not live in SF but looking the other way seems to be about everywhere, I mean what are you gonna do assume they are illegal? No one knows each others situations!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:30 AM

76 posts, read 87,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That long, costly process at least means that usually we get good, honest, productive immigrants. I do think the immigration system needs to be improved so that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to get into the country or have someone lined up as a sponsor to marry you. Ordinary people seeking a better life should be allowed to come here too--but currently that's just about impossible. Hence: you get undocumented illegals and we don't know anything about them.
But we *do* know about our current, rather sizable immigrant population. They're not a new thing, after all, we've got experience with them and knowledge.

Sure, they aren't in as good position as those who've jumped through all the hoops, heck their status makes it harder to be so... but they are still, statistically speaking, a hard working bunch I'm glad to have in my country.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 9,326 times
Santa Fe is safe compared to much of the rest of the state. Safe-haven is making us safer.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
One of the state representatives introduced a bill recently to declare the whole state a Sanctuary State. She said when she was living in El Paso, even though she's multigenerational US Hispanic, border agents harassed her and her relatives, demanding documents. She said she wants NM to be a sanctuary state so that local American-born Hispanics won't be racially profiled for that type of harassment.

Her measure passed committee voting, but it's not expected to pass an open floor vote.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:49 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One of the state representatives introduced a bill recently to declare the whole state a Sanctuary State. She said when she was living in El Paso, even though she's multigenerational US Hispanic, border agents harassed her and her relatives, demanding documents. She said she wants NM to be a sanctuary state so that local American-born Hispanics won't be racially profiled for that type of harassment.

Her measure passed committee voting, but it's not expected to pass an open floor vote.
At least half of all US Border Patrol agents today are of hispanic descent so I am not buying the fact that she was "racially profiled".

Hispanics hold 52 percent of Border Patrol jobs - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-11-2017, 05:08 PM

76 posts, read 87,087 times
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
At least half of all US Border Patrol agents today are of hispanic descent so I am not buying the fact that she was "racially profiled".
Having hispanic patrol agents doesn't prevent racial profiling. It doesn't even prevent it from said agents.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
11 posts deleted over the last several years on this thread means one thing--

closed thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: