U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 25,945 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving to Santa Fe in the next few months, and I'm curious about cellphone coverage. We have iphones and have been to Santa Fe about three times in the past year. They worked great in some places, not at all in others, and service seemed pretty spotty overall.

I was wondering if all providers are like that: good in some areas not in others, or if some were much better.

What is your experience? I'd be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has an iPhone or any phone with AT&T and is happy with the service.

Thanks for your help. Any and all ideas/opinions/experience is appreciated.

Rex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 PM

409 posts, read 863,899 times
This topic is like talking about who likes what sports team.... everyone has their own opinion. I will tell you that my husband and I have Alltel and we both commute (one 40 miles north, one 40 miles south) and we NEVER have problems. Infact... I cant remember the last time I had a dropped call. I have never had any other providers. Before I lived here we lived in North Dakota, and I used my phone all the way from ND to the Florida Keys, back again and now down to New Mexico. Great service.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 PM

288 posts, read 535,499 times
We have AT&T (but not iPhones) and the service here is decent. It's usually good all over, but there are a few dead spots. Eldorado has no AT&T service (at least near the stores), there's awful AT&T service north west of the Plaza to about the DeVargas mall area, and there's a dead spot not too far from the big hill between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Other than that, I'm happy with the service. I have heard that Verizon has better coverage in Santa Fe but have no personal experience.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM

3,059 posts, read 6,337,273 times
We are in Eldorado and we have an ATT cell phone, and it works well through much of the subdivision, although I seem to have a few dead spots in my house and have to stay away from those areas when I am talking.

I use the cell phone almost never (hate the darn things) but my husband uses it a lot -- I'll ask him how he feels like it performs in Santa Fe overall.

Keep in mind that there is a city ordinance in Santa Fe (don't know if it is just in the city or county-wide) prohibiting using a cell phone while operating a vehicle -- and I understand it is enforced. (As it should be, in my opinion. )

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

288 posts, read 535,499 times
Towanda, I hate to disagree with you, but I am amazed at how little enforcement there is for the hand held cell phone ban in Santa Fe. The ban says that you can't hold the phone up to your head, but you can use a bluetooth device. Anyway, I'm surprised every day at how many people I see holding their cell phones while driving, especially when they pull up right next to a police officer and keep talking.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:39 PM

17,646 posts, read 19,061,726 times
Councilors vote to keep ordinance; some want it to be tougher
Julie Ann Grimm | The New Mexican 7/9/2008

7/10/08
"Officers have issued thousands of citations since the rule went into effect in 2002, peaking at 2,100 tickets in 2005. In the last 12 months, they have issued an average of 124 tickets each month, according to recent statistics."
Driver cell-phone ban remains - SantaFeNewMexican.com
Good article...

Rich

Old 04-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded. As I mentioned, we were in Santa Fe three times last year. We stayed at the Inn of the Anasazi on one of our visits, and the iPhones worked very well in the Plaza and most of downtown, and they worked very well in some parts of Eldorado. However in other parts of Eldorado they didn't work at all. On one of our trips we stayed in a Casita on Galisteo and had no service. My wife also has a Verizon phone; it worked fine on Galisteo, and in fact seemed to have better overall coverage than our AT&T phones.

If I have to change carriers and get a new phone I will, but I rather not. I like the iPhone, and I'd rather not get Verizon, since although they have good service, they aren't GSM, as are AT&T and T-Mobile. I like to have a GSM phone to use when we are in Europe.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments and hope for more.

Best,

Rex

Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
This topic is like talking about who likes what sports team.... everyone has their own opinion. I will tell you that my husband and I have Alltel and we both commute (one 40 miles north, one 40 miles south) and we NEVER have problems. Infact... I cant remember the last time I had a dropped call. I have never had any other providers. Before I lived here we lived in North Dakota, and I used my phone all the way from ND to the Florida Keys, back again and now down to New Mexico. Great service.
I don't know anything about this carrier. Do you have a good selection of phones? What about rates, nationwide and international roaming?

Thanks,

Rex

Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM

100 posts, read 102,246 times
Alltel has been purchased by Verizon and is slowly but surely getting switched over, region by region. I relocated to NM two weeks ago and have been all over/between Los Alamos to Santa Fe and had great coverage with Verizon, FWIW...

Old 04-18-2009, 12:38 PM

409 posts, read 863,899 times
Rex-
The above comment is correct... that Verizon has bought out Alltel. But, I am under the impression that if one was with Alltell before, they are still considered Altell customers (for now anyway). At least that is how I understand a letter we got in the mail.
As far as phone selection I find it to be great. They have phones for the average person like me, the techy like my husband, and the seniors like my mother. I think they have phones for everyone and will constantly tell you that they are always getting in new phones soon. They are also great at answering questions or hooking a person up when need be.
I've never been with another company..but I was able to add my husband to my line for just ten dollars a month..and we have so many minutes we never exceede them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe