U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:09 PM

591 posts, read 580,953 times
Quote:
we have lost some valuable members it seems such as Towanda
Ok, let me just edit my last posting. I saw where Towanda posted earlier today. You know how it is. Not hearing from Towanda for anytime over 15 minues makes one uneasy. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM

107 posts, read 168,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
My impression, but not a scientific survey, is that in all of the NM forums, the people that just post most of the negative stuff tend not to contribute very much and just come on with 'one-zies' and 'two-zies' posts about how bad stuff is.

A lot of them have obvious chips on their shoulders about how misunderstood they are and how hostle others are to them.
Did you mean me, Mortimer? My point was more along the lines of this a forum open to all kinds of opinions and observations and just as SF is diverse- so are our reactions to it. I haven't seen that much negativity on here and what I have has been pretty mild- like I had a bad meal in a restaurant or I can't find a good place to shop, or how can I avoid traffic on Cerillos Rd (which brought in some maybe helpful suggestions to that poster). My thought is if you are looking for peoples' opinions on an area, you might as well get the full spectrum of viewpoints

Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,250,940 times
@OP

I'll take this opportunity to warn you about the gangs, panhandlers, traffic, and poorly-paid police department.

Try not to take this internet stuff so seriously.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,087 times
i think you need to use logic and remember that this forum is hardly representative of the people in Santa Fe. You need to expand your sources of information. There are plenty of them.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:22 AM

918 posts, read 1,717,995 times
As a member who watched the buildup to the creation of the Santa Fe forum, and the aforementioned carpet bombing with crappy posts I can tell you that when the forum was created there were quite a few regulars sharing some great posts about the City Different. I completely agree with Mike Horrell about the resulting exodus. Mortimer makes a good point too, even if it stings, as usual.

We always recommend planning a long weekend to get to know the New Mexico community of your choice. Unless you're MikeH, in which case you can throw all in and buy your place site unseen from another country Actually, they love it here but I have to rib him. New Mexico cities/towns have an unusual constellation of pros and cons, and you really have to check them out to see if they fit your personality. The cultures are blended, but thick out here and it can be intimidating to some. Some people look at our high desert scenery and see God's canvas, others dream of the lush green of out east. Some people see the state as one big map of destinations and outdoor playgrounds, others see the lack of high end retail/clubs/sporting events. In the end, the fit will depend on you as much as Santa Fe.

I would also recommend planning your life to match Santa Fe. Santa Fe is not exactly what you'd call a grid city. There are a few main arteries connecting different sections of town (Cerrillos Road, St. Francis, St. Michael's, Old Pecos Trail.). The growth has put a strain on the system, so you don't want to get stuck having to go all the way up and down Cerrillos during the morning/afternoon commutes for example. It gets old quick. Of course, the price of properties might be the deciding factor in Santa Fe, but just a heads up so you can look for possibilities while you're here.

I think the forums are best used for searching for specific answers about a community (the search function can be quite powerful.), or for asking specific questions. Just lurking around can lead to some pretty ridiculous views and opinions from folks. Best of luck with your search, Sultan (cue the Dire Straits riff in my head.).

Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 AM

591 posts, read 580,953 times
Great post ziaAirmac. Yes New Mexico has its own personality. Hence, its cities and townships are no different. I think most posters will agree that it takes a special type of person to enjoy and appreciate New Mexico and Santa Fe.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,730,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
We always recommend planning a long weekend to get to know the New Mexico community of your choice. Unless you're MikeH, in which case you can throw all in and buy your place site unseen from another country
Hey!!! In case you haven't noticed, they have photos on the websites nowadays...

Zia's pulling my leg hard enough that it hurts but we actually did put a contingent
(and let me stress contingent ) contract on our Westside Albuquerque home
about 8 weeks before we ever saw it. The contingency was that we could cancel
if we didn't like it once we saw it. We liked it..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Location: In the country southeast of Santa Fe, but only 20 minutes to the historic Plaza.
614 posts, read 808,678 times
Great post Zia Airmac!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM

31 posts, read 59,980 times
GreatSantaFe,

Anybody every told you, you look like the famous actor Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee)?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 PM

Location: In the country southeast of Santa Fe, but only 20 minutes to the historic Plaza.
614 posts, read 808,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEisMD View Post
GreatSantaFe,

Anybody every told you, you look like the famous actor Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee)?
Shhh, mate, or I'll have all the local paparazzi after me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe