U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,255 times

Advertisements

Hi all I am new to this site but I love it already. Let me just tell you a little bit about me and what is going on.
We live in Grand Junction Co my husband and I have 3 children. My husband was recently laid off and there is no work to be found here it has been just one blow after another lately. But hubby was offered a job there in Santa Fe and will put us up for a little bit while we find a house to rent. My concern though is some of the things I have read about high crime rate and the schools there. I just want a SAFE place for our family and need some insight,what are the good neighborhoods ect. Please help and Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM

475 posts, read 1,035,377 times
Sorry no one is answering. Generally, in terms of safe:

Northside is thought to be safe.

Southside not so safe except if you go south of I-25 to a place like Eldorado which is thought to be safe.

Generally eastside is thought to be safer than westside except if you go so far west that your are west of the Relief Route. I think that the RR is also 599?

Pojoaque Valley is thought to be safe.

You may find exceptions to all these suggestions.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM

293 posts, read 776,036 times
Hmmmm... well... I know SF has a really high crime rate, but most of us haven't experienced any crimes, so you have to take those numbers with a grain of salt. I'm not an expert on neighborhoods, so probably won't be much help. I live on the east side and it's plenty safe here. Friends on the northside have nothing but positive things to say either.

You will get a good feel for safety when you come here and visit. And like everywhere else, if a rental property seems too good to be true (ie, price is really low), it's probably not in an area you'd want to live.

As for public schools, they're not very good here. But that doesn't mean that your kids couldn't get a quality education and be safe throughout their school years. It all depends on what your standards are and what level of involvement you want to have. Many people who can afford to send their children to private schools; there are many very nice options.

There have been a couple of postings recently about schools that you could go back and search for. Good luck on your potential move to SF. Don't let a few negative comments scare you off... SF is a lovely place to live.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM

107 posts, read 231,867 times
I would suggest Eldorado as a good place for a family. I've seen postings of houses to rent there on Craigs List and some of the local property management companies might represent some property there too. I don't live there, but have driven through and it seems nice- community oriented with a well rated school too. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM

There was a post recently about the good elementary schools. You can also look up test scores on various websites. I think one is GreatSchools.com

Eldorado as noted has one of the good elementary schools. In response to parent pressure the school board added the intermediate grades and I suspect those will be good. In a few years, they will probably add the high school years and those will probably be good. Then the blood will be on the floor as parents in other parts of the city fight over the inter-district transfers.

If you want to maximize safety and good schools, then you live in Los Alamos and your husband commutes. Los Alamos housing is expensive but it is currently a buyer's/renters market.

The big crime around here is burglary of empty houses. Safety is not a big concern.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 32,989 times
Our family is in a simlar spot although we live in the super-expensive San Francisco bay area, and it's killing us. Our family is so stressed-out. Can a family manage in the above areas on 65k and under? I don't have any idea if it's possible, although I know it's not here!! Lastly, I'm a special ed. teacher and will be looking for work...Thanks for your help!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Default Abq???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmomof3 View Post
Our family is in a simlar spot although we live in the super-expensive San Francisco bay area, and it's killing us. Our family is so stressed-out. Can a family manage in the above areas on 65k and under? I don't have any idea if it's possible, although I know it's not here!! Lastly, I'm a special ed. teacher and will be looking for work...Thanks for your help!
I don't know. Santa Fe is definitely not as expensive as San Francisco (we share a Saint), but you will take a hit on the salary -- teachers' salaries are fairly pathetic around here. I hate to point you away, but Albuquerque might be a better choice for you -- more jobs, lower cost housing.

You might try posting in that forum. Ask specific questions if you want to get answers. Maybe can you live on 65K would draw responses.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM

107 posts, read 231,867 times
I have to agree with Santa Fe and the above post, maybe check into ABQ. I really know nothing about it, but my guess is the cost of living may be a little less there. I don't see SF as a family kind of city, it's much more of a retirement place- high priced houses with low taxes. I've been here only a year and have known 3 families that left because their kids hit school age. In fact you really don't even see that many kids here. I was in CO last week and the number of families and kids was shocking in comparison.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:25 PM

893 posts, read 1,642,896 times
You should definitely check out Eldorado. They've got top rated primary and middle schools. Lots of families live there, and housing prices are comparably low. Since many homes have been on the market for a while you could probably get a good rental deal. All homes are on 1+acre lots and most have good views. It's a 20-minute drive into Santa Fe and there's a commuter bus also. Eldorado has a community center with outdoor pool, and their library is very good. There are walking/biking trails and even a 3000 acre preserve for hiking if you wish.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,255 times
lower cost in housing in where MOST of the high crime lays...depends on most important to you less crime and higher cost of living or more crime and lower cost of living....my own personal is I would rather pay higher for less crime....but that is just me......Thanka to the rest of you for all your comments and support and making me feel a lil better.......hubby just left and will be ther ein AM I am terrified about what is to come but I knows God will see us through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe