Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times

Advertisements

What I meant is that by reading MLS listings, you can see that most do not spend much if any time on the horse aspect of these properties which do allow horses/have horse facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
What I meant is that by reading MLS listings, you can see that most do not spend much if any time on the horse aspect of these properties which do allow horses/have horse facilities.
Ah, now I understand.... Well, you are correct. One thing that might explain that is that the MLS limits Realtors to the number of characters they can use to describe a particular property. Therefore more word space is given to human housing amenities than animal ones. I reckon if horses were the ones making the buying decision, the descriptions would be altered accordingly.

Still, you raise a valid point. There are plenty of other opportunities for descriptions outside of the MLS - like flyers, brochures, magazine ad copy, etc. and special facilities for livestock as well as household companions could be featured more than they are. Thanks a lot for reinforcing that.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM

16 posts, read 50,702 times
Thumbs up Properties that allow/have horse facilities...

Quote:
As both a home seller and buyer, I can attest that what you are saying is correct . It is most unfortunate that it appears that most agents do not target a very broad audience in marketing a listing. They don't seek to know anything about livestock needs or for that matter, even about other companion animals like dogs, cats and birds.

I am working with an agent to sell my current residence (a mini-farm) who specializes in Equestrian Farms. She too has been involved with racehorses all her life, which also embraces dogs, cats and goats, as well as cows, and can therefore target people like me and "ResearchToDeath" who seek specific requirements, and elaborate to them the strong selling points my property offers, and why they want it.

Sadly though, the number of photos listings can afford to post often do not highlight horse facilities, but focus more on the house. Given this downfall, it's imperative that agents exercise good speech writing skills to capture the serious buyers in few words.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Ah, now I understand.... Well, you are correct. One thing that might explain that is that the MLS limits Realtors to the number of characters they can use to describe a particular property. Therefore more word space is given to human housing amenities than animal ones.
Quote:
I reckon if horses were the ones making the buying decision, the descriptions would be altered accordingly.
Still, you raise a valid point. There are plenty of other opportunities for descriptions outside of the MLS - like flyers, brochures, magazine ad copy, etc. and special facilities for livestock as well as household companions could be featured more than they are. Thanks a lot for reinforcing that.
Hi! I think the key words to what you just said have been highlighted above..."if horses were making the buying decision"...well, in essence they are. We animals people base our decisions and purchases most exclusively on the wants and needs of our animals... My animals rule!

As for flyers, brochures, magazines etc., nowadays we're doing most everything via e-commerce and given the economy, most agents have to pay for the advertising of their listings out of their own pocket. At one full color page for $1000.00 a month or so, it's easy to see why we're all depending more and more on the Internet.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSandy View Post

As both a home seller and buyer, I can attest that what you are saying is correct . It is most unfortunate that it appears that most agents do not target a very broad audience in marketing a listing. They don't seek to know anything about livestock needs or for that matter, even about other companion animals like dogs, cats and birds.

I am working with an agent to sell my current residence (a mini-farm) who specializes in Equestrian Farms. She too has been involved with racehorses all her life, which also embraces dogs, cats and goats, as well as cows, and can therefore target people like me and "ResearchToDeath" who seek specific requirements, and elaborate to them the strong selling points my property offers, and why they want it.

Sadly though, the number of photos listings can afford to post often do not highlight horse facilities, but focus more on the house. Given this downfall, it's imperative that agents exercise good speech writing skills to capture the serious buyers in few words.
So true. And the fact is: I rather would have a photo of the barn/shelter or an idea of the fencing, rather than a photo of a sink or hallway!

See, we are special needs people!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Default "Special Needs" People!

Quote:
So true. And the fact is: I rather would have a photo of the barn/shelter or an idea of the fencing, rather than a photo of a sink or hallway!

See, we are special needs people!
Amen sister, I'm right there with you on that, and that's why I tell agents to mention the type of fencing and its construction (including gates, security fencing, and clean up areas) on my property, the many floodlights situated around the property that point into the paddocks, as well as the large dogie doors onto the screened in porches, and the tile floors, and the ceiling fans, and the house that is fully hardwired with a generator for power outages during hurricanes (so that the water pump to the horses/goats/ and a shower is readily available...

Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 9,905 times
Thank you Lalahartma and Santa Fe Sandy! there are basically four things I'm looking for in a house. A great kitchen, a great location to endless trails, a great barn and lots of photos of turnouts/arenas/round pens. I want happy horses and if they're not happy, neither am I. SF Sandy - thank you for Jonnalyn's contact information. It sounds like you've been 'educating' the agents out there...good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe