U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:15 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,516,079 times

Advertisements

Last time I was through Santa Fe I ate dinner at a place that was on the west side of downtown not far from the railroad station. Most of the seating area of the restaurant was in giant outdoor tent (white I believe) behind an older building and there was a small music ensemble, including an older gentleman playing mariachi/flamenco/spanish guitar. The place was packed so must have been pretty popular. You had to walk through a patio corridor to get to the front door. The owner/manager was an older woman who was very nice. It was so busy that they brought us cocktails while we waited near the front door. The food was New Mexican and pretty good. Can anyone tell me the name of this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM

476 posts, read 777,029 times
Not sure. I don't know about the owner/manager and the music. From the physical description, I would say maybe Zia Diner. It's in the right part of town, it has an outdoor seating area -- but maybe not gigantic. If you park in the lot in the back, then you walk through a patio corridor to get there. And the outdoor seating is in the back. Again, you walk past it -- on your left -- from the parking to the front door.

Also I would say that the food includes New Mexican items, but is eclectic with other food also -- e.g., meatloaf. I'd say it is pretty good and reasonably priced. It would be packed at certain times of the year. Maybe it has music at those times. But I stay away then.

Another characteristic -- as you come in the front door, to your right is a glass case with pastries and cookies. Sound familiar?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the try but that's not the one. I went to their website. Interior was more basic as it was in a big tent. Had white table cloths. A block west of the busy north/south avenue on that side of town. It's driving me crazy.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 PM

OK, you've got me stumped. Although I am not quite sure how you reject Zia. The photos at the web site show the inside dining not the outside. But you must know.

"A block west of the busy north/south avenue on that side of town." Plus "west side of downtown not far from the railroad station." Which station? If you mean the station near Tomasita's then it is east of St. Francis, so you must mean a block west of Cerrillos? A big tent in that area?

Does Tomasita's put out a big tent in the summer? But you don't go through any patio corridor to get to Tomasita's.

Maybe somebody else can help.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Not Tomasita's. I've eaten there many times, including the day before I was at the mystery spot. This place would have been North of there a few blocks if I have my directions right. What I was saying about Zia is that its interior was much more decorated than the tent place. This was October, two years ago.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM

I give up. Someone else will have to step in. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,305,292 times
Maria's?

Maria's of Santa Fe -- A Tour of the Restaurant

Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks Bongo. I think that's it! Thanks also to Santa Fe for giving it a shot. They must fancy it up at night as folks were pretty well dressed and I believe they put out white table cloths. The entrance corridor was the most recognizable. Is it considered a good spot? We had a good dinner there and the place was quite crowded so must be popular. I could swear I saw Robert McNeill from the McNeill Lehrer report that night there.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,305,292 times
LOS MAYAS RESTAURANTE - Southwestern and Mexican Cuisine

But then Los Mayas better fits your location & music!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
LOS MAYAS RESTAURANTE - Southwestern and Mexican Cuisine

But then Los Mayas better fits your location & music!
Yes, Maria's is a non-starter for location. It is famous dating from the late forties or early fifties, but I'd guess in a different location. Just yesterday I think there was an article about the current owner in the New Mexican. Apparently he has written several books on Magaritas (the drink).

I've always avoided it -- my theory being that once a restaurant is in every tourist guide, then they don't have to good any more. Maybe that is unfair -- I recently ate at Tomasita's and thought it was good for a reasonable price. There is a thread on restaurants -- somebody may have reviewed Maria's there.

For reviews there is also Tripadvisor.com, which IMO (others may disagree) does a pretty good job on Santa Fe restaurants and hotels. (I view the B&B and short term rental reviews with some suspicion.) Los Mayas rates marginally higher than Maria's -- probably not enough difference to take seriously.

Last edited by Santa Fe; 11-29-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe