Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times

Advertisements

All of these 3 towns are on different roads.

Costilla is near to the Colorado border with NM - past Questa. It is a beautiful landscape passing through the mountains, hilly but a good, well maintained road.

El Rito is nearer to Ojo - yes, and there are I believe 3 ways to Taos from the town (all small roads) one north and west; another south and west; and a third zigzagging through the Rio.

Valle Escondido is about the same size, I think, as El Rito, and on Taos Canyon road going south east.

You can of course get to Santa Fe from each, but I'd say El Rito may be the shortest if you tracked into Espanola and then to Santa Fe--probably about an hour plus.

Costilla is more than 2-1/2 hours I'd reckon to Santa Fe, but probably the most direct--3 highways. So although it may be the longest of the three, it might be the easiest drive--a straighter shot so to speak.

Valle Escondido is possibly the least direct as you have to come back to the Taos area to get to the highway and then onto Santa Fe, give or take 2 hrs.

El Rito and Valle Escondido are both off small, 1-lane roads in the mountain range. The Valle is in part of the Kit Carson National Forest. Beautiful drive!

I would describe all three as remote or at the least out of the way.

The average drive, normal traffic, good weather, the trip from Taos to Santa Fe is generally around 1-15min or 1-1/2hrs - depending on your speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Is Costilla and El Rito (near Taos) very similar? It seems like the El Rito you talked about is near Ojo C. butyou cannot drive straight through to Taos, I am wondering what the drive from there to SF is like.
What do you think of Valle Escondido? Is it as beautiful as the other area you spoke of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,085 times
Thank you! Wonderful information you are great. I have a couple more questions for you if you dont mind.

I know Taos ia very distinct feel to it. Can you tell me what is the feel of the towns is? In other words are there, more ranches or more conservative?

Is there one you would recommend for safety and kids?

It seems I have heard really good things about El Rito but cant find them now! It has a good college?

Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM

27 posts, read 126,016 times
hi!
we just moved from los alamos to chamisal. actually we are in Ojitos which is just south of Chamisal. Its on the High Road to Taos. we are down a forest road a couple miles so its really remote. but its really beautiful and awesome out here too.

yes....totally different life in that we have to make a weekly run for groceries either to santa fe or taos or espanola. its not a big deal, we generally like to get out a bit anyway. there are GREAT restaurants in both SF and Taos as well as chimayo, and penasco and espanola so that is another reason to get out.

so far in like a month i have met more friendly outgoing and kind people in this small area than in 7 years up on the hill. the neighbors may be a bit distant out here but they are willing to help and be known.

the roads are windy and narrow and its been one of the hardest winters in a LONG time but as long as you dont go looking for drunk drivers on weekend nights things seem pretty safe. yes there is a drug problem in northern NM but there are problems like that all over the country in every state and in every little burg. there is no reason to worry about it unless you are moving into an obviously bad area.

we have a foot to 3 feet of snow in the yard and it couldnt be more beautiful.
its quieter than anywhere i have ever lived and true dark skies for star gazing. definitely worth a look at land and properties available in the area.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 PM

What a beautiful picture you paint!

Now, I'd like to ask this question: would you live in this little town of less than 350 on a forest road alone?

Sometimes when I provide information, I try to think about what I'd do, and try to image who the person is that is asking a question. It is so difficult to know what needs and wants people have.

Once, perhaps ten or so years ago, I would have gladly found a place on a country road, in the forest, and I did live in the forest up in some mountain back East, for 20-odd years, mostly for holidays and weekends, but now that I've reached the 6th decade of this ole life, my bones ache more and I just couldn't do that country road and all that snow anymore alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rose View Post
hi!
we just moved from los alamos to chamisal. actually we are in Ojitos which is just south of Chamisal. Its on the High Road to Taos. we are down a forest road a couple miles so its really remote. but its really beautiful and awesome out here too.

yes....totally different life in that we have to make a weekly run for groceries either to santa fe or taos or espanola. its not a big deal, we generally like to get out a bit anyway. there are GREAT restaurants in both SF and Taos as well as chimayo, and penasco and espanola so that is another reason to get out.

so far in like a month i have met more friendly outgoing and kind people in this small area than in 7 years up on the hill. the neighbors may be a bit distant out here but they are willing to help and be known.

the roads are windy and narrow and its been one of the hardest winters in a LONG time but as long as you dont go looking for drunk drivers on weekend nights things seem pretty safe. yes there is a drug problem in northern NM but there are problems like that all over the country in every state and in every little burg. there is no reason to worry about it unless you are moving into an obviously bad area.

its quieter than anywhere i have ever lived and true dark skies for star gazing. definitely worth a look at land and properties available in the area.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM

OIC
its just me and hubby. i hope maybe to add our daughter in time or our grandson. we have a guest house that can double as a rental apt so that would be another way to not be completely be alone.

no....me alone. i dont think i could do it. for the 2 of us its perfect.
does that make me chicken??
but there are places in town (of 300) where you could be close to neighbors.
Penasco is 600 people.
we have just landed in a remote location but only 3 miles to town.
ill have horses in a couple months and i hope to just ride to town when weather permits....which is most of the time!

its definitely not a way of life that everyone would prefer. ive lived on the east coast both in the suburbs and in the city and this place is definitely a better choice for me as a place to retire and enjoy.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 PM

i could add that the former owner is a single woman in her late 40's. she has been here several years alone. friends come frequently and visit and she rented the guest house for like $700 a month! she's a writer/editor and loved being out here alone. i believe she is moving really close and will again be on a large remote property alone.

also, the next door neighbor seems to be a single woman in maybe her 50's. she hinted at wanting to move but i believe she has been here a long time by herself.

so folks do it. there is loads of help for snow removal and other yard work.
this "city girl" now has a tractor and a chainsaw and im learnin' to shoot a rifle so look out y 'all! i just think it ROCKS out here!!
satellite TV and internet! no air traffic at all. no traffic noise at all. no light pollution.

what can i say...im one who is definitely enchanted by new mexico. i could write volumes on the weird places ive been in the state and the wildlife ive seen and the incredible food. i just love it. living in the heart of real northern new mexico is almost dreamlike to me!!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Oh dear, no, not a chicken at all. I had to admit to myself that my days of fierce independence in the wilds is over.

Yes, it is a beautiful spot where you live. In fact, all of northern New Mexico is breathtaking.

It's always a pleasure to hear when someone find's something close to their __dream__!

Hope the weather stays good--our snow is just starting to melt up here in Taos! I can still see the critter feet outside the back road.

Take care.

Quote:
OIC
its just me and hubby. i hope maybe to add our daughter in time or our grandson. we have a guest house that can double as a rental apt so that would be another way to not be completely be alone.

no....me alone. i dont think i could do it. for the 2 of us its perfect.
does that make me chicken??
but there are places in town (of 300) where you could be close to neighbors.
Penasco is 600 people.
we have just landed in a remote location but only 3 miles to town.
ill have horses in a couple months and i hope to just ride to town when weather permits....which is most of the time!

its definitely not a way of life that everyone would prefer. ive lived on the east coast both in the suburbs and in the city and this place is definitely a better choice for me as a place to retire and enjoy.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Can't tell you much about safety and kids from personal experience. My kids are back East.

All the other towns you mentioned are so small you couldn't compare them to Taos at all. While El Rito has a college, it is more a technical school than a liberal arts college and nearly invisible when you drive through the main road.

I hope that someone comes along to answer more of your questions--I am an Eastern by temperament and want more from a town than what any of these offer--and as I am mostly alone, I want and need town stimulation. My feelings and judgments are guided by my life experiences.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Thank you! Wonderful information you are great. I have a couple more questions for you if you dont mind.

I know Taos ia very distinct feel to it. Can you tell me what is the feel of the towns is? In other words are there, more ranches or more conservative?

Is there one you would recommend for safety and kids?

It seems I have heard really good things about El Rito but cant find them now! It has a good college?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,085 times
Ill admit I really want to move back east in the north but to far from where my parents retired. I want to be able to get there quickly if needed. I know what you are saying. I am going to have to find a place with enough to keep me happy after my daughter goes to college in a few years and also good for her now. In the end Im being way to paranoid about it but its the last stretc and I want to do it right. I will be heading back in a month or so and do one more drive through all the areas. Itll be nice.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,041 times
Default Question regarding CHamisal

I know this post is old, but I was wondering if you still liked the area? Thanks

Quote:
hi!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe