U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,346 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Santa Fe is about 70% Democrat and 28% Republican, the rest Independent or other third party.

Santa Fe County has long been a democratic stronghold. The demographics have been changing in Santa Fe and recent elections have begun to show the shifts. The manner in which it is changing is due to "transplants" moving in from other states with their ideas of what the Democratic Party should be versus the old guard's idea of what it should be.

Politics will always be at the surface in Santa Fe, and if you are a conservative, you will not get off easy if you start espousing Rush Pillbaugh or Faux News commentators philosophies without facts to back it up. That's not "in your face", that's just plain politics, and the population here is dominated by Democrats that you may not agree with.

An easy way to avoid this would be either to only associate with Republicans, or keep your political views to yourself. Liberal Democrats would have to do the same in a conserative-dominated environment.
Vinegaroon-We had planned on stopping through Santa Fe on our vacation on our way to Arizona(to support Arizona while liberals are boycotting)
But it seems that after reading several posts on how the liberals are in Santa Fe, I think that we will pass.

 
Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 AM
TKO
 
Location: Cruces
686 posts, read 1,373,249 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
Vinegaroon-We had planned on stopping through Santa Fe on our vacation on our way to Arizona(to support Arizona while liberals are boycotting)
But it seems that after reading several posts on how the liberals are in Santa Fe, I think that we will pass.
Are you being serious, you really would base you vacation on the politics of half the country? The part of Santa Fe you really wouldn't like, apparently, is the tolerant part. I'm not a fan of Fe (and you can see the evidence in many posts here I've made deriding the place), at least for living, but I've enjoyed myself there many times without letting the political views of those I don't agree with impact me at all. Franky the biggest jerks were the rich, right leaning new comers who are rude enough to honk at stop lights, not the natives (though there's some jerks there too).

Maybe you're just being sarcastic and I missed it, if so apologies, but if you're serious it's pathetic (the decision - not you personally in all aspect of your life) that you would let the views of others have you miss out on so many wonderful places in this country that may lean left.
 
Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,346 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Are you being serious, you really would base you vacation on the politics of half the country? The part of Santa Fe you really wouldn't like, apparently, is the tolerant part. I'm not a fan of Fe (and you can see the evidence in many posts here I've made deriding the place), at least for living, but I've enjoyed myself there many times without letting the political views of those I don't agree with impact me at all. Franky the biggest jerks were the rich, right leaning new comers who are rude enough to honk at stop lights, not the natives (though there's some jerks there too).

Maybe you're just being sarcastic and I missed it, if so apologies, but if you're serious it's pathetic (the decision - not you personally in all aspect of your life) that you would let the views of others have you miss out on so many wonderful places in this country that may lean left.
I am sorry that you consider the decision pathetic. But after reading almost all of the threads just on SF, I think that it would not be in our best interest to have an extended stay in SF.
What a shame how the country is being torn apart by people that think it is wrong to uphold the law.
My husband and I are very conservative. Our beliefs are supported by more than half of the country. My husband is very political.
So it would be probably in our best interest to just see some of the nature sites and pass on through.
 
Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,034 posts, read 11,156,286 times
Reputation: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
I am sorry that you consider the decision pathetic. But after reading almost all of the threads just on SF, I think that it would not be in our best interest to have an extended stay in SF.
What a shame how the country is being torn apart by people that think it is wrong to uphold the law.
My husband and I are very conservative. Our beliefs are supported by more than half of the country. My husband is very political.
So it would be probably in our best interest to just see some of the nature sites and pass on through.
Well, you have just found out that many others who are not conservative are NOT tolerant and are NOT live-and-let-live.

That is especially true on this site.

Bully for Arizona, too. It's too bad that NM, TX and CA don't have the backbone or will that AZ does.
 
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,346 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, you have just found out that many others who are not conservative are NOT tolerant and are NOT live-and-let-live.

That is especially true on this site.

Bully for Arizona, too. It's too bad that NM, TX and CA don't have the backbone or will that AZ does.
I totally agree Kathy4017!
And reading several posts from several members they seem to go out of their way to insult conservatives.
I do respect other peoples views, but I can not deal with a place that might, I repeat might have folks that might consider getting up in your face to spout their views. I would hate to put my husband in that type of situation. It might get ugly for the other party. LOL. My husband is very passionate about politics
After all this is our vacation, we want to enjoy ourselves.

I am very proud that Arizona is standing up and enforcing the law.
We live in E.Texas and have heard several rumours that Texas has something in the works similar to Arizona's bill. If Perry would just get off his duff and do something.
We have been thinking about moving to either Arizona or Oklahoma, especially if Texas doesn't do something quick about the illegals. We moved from Dallas hoping it would be better, and it was for a few years.
Oklahoma has already passed several laws to discourage illegals from moving there, plus they are working on passing a law not to support sharia law.
I do not think that Arizona could get away with passing a sharia law, Muslims have that big compound there.
We just want to be in an area that shares our conservative views and similar religious beliefs.
Have a wonderful day!
 
Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 14,816,747 times
Reputation: 6438
This "vacation" sounds like a pretext to spout political views on here that would best be taken to one of the immigration or politics forums.
 
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,346 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This "vacation" sounds like a pretext to spout political views on here that would best be taken to one of the immigration or politics forums.
Have you read the posts on here for Santa Fe? They are very political, and in my opinion somewhat radical. And it also seems that people have been very unfriendly to others on this thread. Some outright rude.
I am looking for 'stopovers' on our vacation, nothing more.
I have been searching several places in several states to stop over with our RV.
Somewhere that we will enjoy ourselves and not be confronted with some of the things that were posted on this thread that others have experienced.
I do not wish to subject my family or myself to that type of behavior.
Have a good day.
 
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
 
Location: New Mexico USA
16,488 posts, read 16,268,658 times
Reputation: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
Santa Fe, I think that we will pass.
Probably a good idea.

You seemed to have attacked only Santa Fe on this site so far, you have stated your opinion, so perhaps that has been enough...


Rich
 
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,346 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Probably a good idea.

You seemed to have attacked only Santa Fe on this site so far, you have stated your opinion, so perhaps that has been enough...


Rich
Let me get this straight. I have read several outright sarcastic/rude comments to others on here in this thread and that is okay?
And as a moderator you allow that?
I have not been rude, sarcastic, or attacked Santa Fe or anyone on here.
My comment was that the people are scaring us off from stopping over for a night or two while traveling. Why would I subject my family to some of the incidents that others have experienced? We are going to be on vacation.
I am moving on to another city.
Thanks that all that replied with great notes!
Have a nice day Rich.
 
Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
 
Location: New Mexico USA
16,488 posts, read 16,268,658 times
Reputation: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
Let me get this straight. I have read several outright sarcastic/rude comments to others on here in this thread and that is okay?
Have you reported them as outlined in the Terms Of Service which you agreed to when you registered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
And as a moderator you allow that?
It depends, I get criticized a lot. Without your valid opinion, how would you expect me to act? Have you read the Terms Of Service which you agreed to when you registered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
I have not been rude, sarcastic, or attacked Santa Fe or anyone on here. My comment was that the people are scaring us off from stopping over for a night or two while traveling.
Perhaps you should read other threads rather than one post, but if you have, and you are still scared, there is not much else I can tell you. On your trip from Texas, it is possible to detour New Mexico via Colorado.


Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top