Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times

Advertisements

I didn't move to New Mexico because I had any real interest in the tourism industry. I spent 40 years coming out here as a tourist, when I became a resident, I had other priorities.

I moved here because I love the natural beauty of northern New Mexico, because I wanted to learn more about the culture, the state and local politics, and the history of the state. I loved the local cuisine, and I wanted to learn Spanish. I loved the architecture and wanted a Santa Fe style house. I wanted to worship with other New Mexicans. I wanted to get involved with local charities and organizations. I love the weather here and the invigorating high elevation and the special quality of the light. New Mexico has always made me feel more alive - I feel a spiritual energy here that I love and which I feel keeps me young.

I have nothing against the tourists that come here all year round. I realize they are a great economic boon to the city and that's great, but they are just not a part of my daily life here. I don't go to the Plaza much other than to Mass at the Cathedral, I don't browse at art galleries or shop at pricey boutiques or eat at expensive restaurants. I don't really see tourists much because my life is spent in other parts of the city, and I don't go to the Plaza to hang out with them.

caydriver, I find your comments interesting..I am not sure where you arrived at your conclusion that "folks that have just moved to New Mexico no longer want to be connected to anything a tourist might find interesting." That is certainly painting with a broad brush and not true of most of us here. I personally LOVE many of the tourist sites up here in this part of the state, as I know most posters here do. I even love the Plaza occasionally but not as my main tourism interest here in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:04 PM

4,864 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Santa Fe, at least the plaza area, can occasionally be crowded on weekends. But we frequently visit during the week and have had no problems. Unless you want to attend, I would avoid it during Indian Market because the town is full for that week or two.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Indian Market is one of the times when we DO go to the Plaza.

We park at Santa Fe Place Mall, get a bus there which goes directly to the Plaza area. I think it costs a dollar or two to ride. When you are ready to leave, you just get a shuttle bus back to the mall.

I think there is a shuttle bus service from DeVargas Center too.

We went early in the day last year. It is cooler then, and there aren't the crowds that begin to grow about noon.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM

390 posts, read 952,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I didn't move to New Mexico because I had any real interest in the tourism industry. I spent 40 years coming out here as a tourist, when I became a resident, I had other priorities.

I moved here because I love the natural beauty of northern New Mexico, because I wanted to learn more about the culture, the state and local politics, and the history of the state. I loved the local cuisine, and I wanted to learn Spanish. I loved the architecture and wanted a Santa Fe style house. I wanted to worship with other New Mexicans. I wanted to get involved with local charities and organizations. I love the weather here and the invigorating high elevation and the special quality of the light. New Mexico has always made me feel more alive - I feel a spiritual energy here that I love and which I feel keeps me young.

I have nothing against the tourists that come here all year round. I realize they are a great economic boon to the city and that's great, but they are just not a part of my daily life here. I don't go to the Plaza much other than to Mass at the Cathedral, I don't browse at art galleries or shop at pricey boutiques or eat at expensive restaurants. I don't really see tourists much because my life is spent in other parts of the city, and I don't go to the Plaza to hang out with them.

caydriver, I find your comments interesting..I am not sure where you arrived at your conclusion that "folks that have just moved to New Mexico no longer want to be connected to anything a tourist might find interesting." That is certainly painting with a broad brush and not true of most of us here. I personally LOVE many of the tourist sites up here in this part of the state, as I know most posters here do. I even love the Plaza occasionally but not as my main tourism interest here in the city.
Have been here 40 years and both my late husband and myself have been active in the political arena and the health care of residents. I regret that you took offense. I again find it interesting that newcomers find the tourist offensive, in particular shop owners in Santa Fe. They think they can wear the tourquoise and western clothes and be superior. We used to go to Santa Fe and "slum" once a year and got a big hehaw from the new shop owners.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM

No offense taken.

I don't find tourists offensive. I certainly was one for many years.

I just dress like a regular person. Any turquoise I wear is tiny and I have had it for many years, and I don't wear it to show off. I'm really not too good at showing off anyway.

Sounds like you just don't like newcomers to the state.

Don't understand the comment about "slumming" once a year, so can't comment on it.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM

65 posts, read 246,319 times
Quote:
Indian Market is one of the times when we DO go to the Plaza.

We park at Santa Fe Place Mall, get a bus there which goes directly to the Plaza area. I think it costs a dollar or two to ride. When you are ready to leave, you just get a shuttle bus back to the mall.

I think there is a shuttle bus service from DeVargas Center too.

We went early in the day last year. It is cooler then, and there aren't the crowds that begin to grow about noon.
Just arrive early and park in the PERA parking lot for free.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 AM

65 posts, read 246,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
My wife and I moved out to the Santa Fe area (Eldorado), in Dec. of 2009.
Since this will be our first summer here, as residents, I have a question to ask?
Now I'm sure downtown Santa Fe, will be quite crowded.
I'm pretty sure that Taos, and other parts of New Mexico, will be equally as crowded.
So here's the question:

What are your favorite spots, within a 1-2 hour drive of Santa Fe, that generally are NOT overrun with summer tourists?
Any helpful hints/suggestions, will be GREATLY appreciated!!

P.S. I won't tell a soul.

Steve
I have not been there in the summer yet, but check out Pagosa Springs Co.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,752 times
Quote:
No offense taken.

I don't find tourists offensive. I certainly was one for many years.

I just dress like a regular person. Any turquoise I wear is tiny and I have had it for many years, and I don't wear it to show off. I'm really not too good at showing off anyway.

Sounds like you just don't like newcomers to the state.

Don't understand the comment about "slumming" once a year, so can't comment on it.
T, I don't think caydriver was singling you out re: newcomers loathing tourists, she was speaking, I think, about the OP's question in particular and probably referencing a number of similar sentiments from other newcomers she has encountered in the 40 years she has lived in NM.
To me, your somewhat defensive post might hint at feelings at agreeing, to some degree, with caydriver about this issue.
From all your past posts I don't think there's any doubt you love Santa Fe and probably worked long and hard to get there, and that same admirable energy is now contributing to your life and the city you love. I certainly applaud and respect that. As someone who WAS a tourist for many years I doubt you'd be contemptuous of others doing the same thing.
But, you must admit that there is a long and wide streak of "I'm here, now will all these other people go away" among newish residents of SF. I've certainly seen it in my sometimes lengthy stays (as a visitor) in SF, and sometimes in spades from gallery/shop owners and employees, who apparently can detect if your not a wealthy Californian decorating your new adobe mansion with an unlimited budget.
I'm not singling out SF....I grew up, had a career, and still live part time in a very desireable and attractive town on the shores of the Great Lakes. The New York Times, Travel and Leisure, Coastal Living, and other publications have done pieces on my hometown, and it's a popular destination for tourists and also people who can live wherever they choose. It's a joke among local people (born of long and numerous real experiences) that many newish residents want to "pull up the drawbridge" or "burn the bridge" or "shut the gate" once they relocate, and I think this phenomenon is also very common in SF.

I think that's all caydriver was trying to say.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 PM

390 posts, read 952,051 times
Thanks Tecpetl. You hit the nail on the head. I don't notice this attitude in Taos, Ruidoso or some of the other tourist towns. We certainly need new energy, educated folks and business coming to this state so our children do not have to relocate to find employment. As far as slumming in Santa Fe it was just a joke between my husband and I and was certainly not directed towards anyone on this forum.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
T, I don't think caydriver was singling you out re: newcomers loathing tourists, she was speaking, I think, about the OP's question in particular and probably referencing a number of similar sentiments from other newcomers she has encountered in the 40 years she has lived in NM.
To me, your somewhat defensive post might hint at feelings at agreeing, to some degree, with caydriver about this issue.
From all your past posts I don't think there's any doubt you love Santa Fe and probably worked long and hard to get there, and that same admirable energy is now contributing to your life and the city you love. I certainly applaud and respect that. As someone who WAS a tourist for many years I doubt you'd be contemptuous of others doing the same thing.
But, you must admit that there is a long and wide streak of "I'm here, now will all these other people go away" among newish residents of SF. I've certainly seen it in my sometimes lengthy stays (as a visitor) in SF, and sometimes in spades from gallery/shop owners and employees, who apparently can detect if your not a wealthy Californian decorating your new adobe mansion with an unlimited budget.
I'm not singling out SF....I grew up, had a career, and still live part time in a very desireable and attractive town on the shores of the Great Lakes. The New York Times, Travel and Leisure, Coastal Living, and other publications have done pieces on my hometown, and it's a popular destination for tourists and also people who can live wherever they choose. It's a joke among local people (born of long and numerous real experiences) that many newish residents want to "pull up the drawbridge" or "burn the bridge" or "shut the gate" once they relocate, and I think this phenomenon is also very common in SF.

I think that's all caydriver was trying to say.
Very common in Santa Fe.... I have seen it for the past 30 years there. It's become a joke with a lot of us about since when does the last one in think they can close the gate!!? We used to roll eyes at parties in SF when newcomers would say to other newcomers "I'VE been here 2 years. When did YOU get here?" But you're right that it's a phenomenon all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe