Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,238,710 times

Advertisements

I suppose, but we can't obtain Flood insurance right now anyone. No one can-our only option is to go in without it and hope for the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
you can get flood insurance through other companies--like Lloyd's I guess-but the rates are higher...

Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,819,850 times
Thank you for taking action recently on our Call for Action
regarding the continuation of the National Flood Insurance
Program and the continuation of the 502 Rural Housing Program.

Last night, the Senate passed the National Flood Insurance
Program Extension Act of 2010 (H.R. 5569), an extension of the
National Flood Insurance Program until September 30, 2010. This
will allow transactions to move forward. The bill is retroactive
and covers the lapse period from June 1, 2010, to the date of
enactment of the extension. NAR members sent more than 250,000
letters to Members of Congress encouraging them to extend the
program.

Additionally, Congress passed an extension of the closing
deadline for the Homebuyer Tax Credit, the Homebuyer Assistance
and Improvement Act (H.R. 5623). The extension applies only to
transactions that have ratified contracts in place as of April
30, 2010, that have not yet closed. The legislation is designed
to create a seamless extension; the new closing deadline for
eligible transactions is now September 30, 2010. There will be
no gap between June 30 and the date the President signs the bill
into law. Extending the tax credit closing deadline will help
provide additional stability to real estate markets across the
nation.

Our Government Affairs team worked closely with Congressional
leaders on both sides of the aisle to enact this important
legislation.

NAR is still working on restoring the 502 single-family rural
housing loan guarantee program. Language is included in H.R.
4899, the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill, that is
currently in conference between the House and Senate. We expect
the House to pass that bill shortly and are hopeful the Senate
will do the same when they return the week of July 12. When that
bill passes, the program will be restored through the end of the
fiscal year.

For additional information on the tax credit extension, the
flood insurance program and rural housing please visit
http://takeaction.realtoractioncenter.com/ct/E1AY8qs1QLXM

Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Wow, thanks Shannon..I was a bit worried about no flood insurance. I'll give my agent a call today!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,887,333 times
Default Learn from.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I suppose, but we can't obtain Flood insurance right now anyone. No one can-our only option is to go in without it and hope for the best!

I believe that's a BIG mistake. Learn from the people in Nashville who didn't have flood Ins this past May. Those without flood Ins are stuck with homes that are not livable.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM

51 posts, read 359,698 times
Default Florida Home Owners Insurance Inspection Process & Discounts

In Florida your home will require an wind mitigation inspection for homeowner insurance. A hurricane shutter certificate is part of the “Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form” that can be found on any HO insurance web site. Most use the Citizens form OIR-B1-1802 form. Follow my photo archive under user name. The forms have been posted for review and example. Many inspectors offer a 4 point inspection for using this and similar forms. You can ask your HO insurance provider for the form they use. Ask a qualified inspector to evaluate your home and fill out the form.

The average cost for such certificates and evaluation, including documents runs about $125-200 in Florida. Call around to the advertised home inspectors to request quote and verify their credentials will be accepted by your HO insurance carrier.

You can follow the insurance link Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates
on the Florida insurance regulation page to determine your exact savings. On this site you will find average approved rates from a sampling of insurance companies for a typical Florida home. By law they must list the saving by insurance company on this site. The premium reduction can be significant coupled with other forms of wind mitigation and protection. If your roof is up to code and you have additional enhancements like gable end bracing, stud to tie components or “strapping” your reduction will be greater. Its well worth the effort to find out what deductions you can apply for and what condition your home meets in regards to wind or hurricane protectives.

State licensed and specialty contractors can sign off on these forms. Qualified inspectors, engineers and contractors are permitted to sign off and evaluate on all homeowner insurance forms.

The Florida state rules a Qualified Inspector hold an active license or certificate for one of the following:
1) Hurricane mitigation inspector certified by the My Safe Florida Home Program.
2) Building code inspector certified under Section 468.607, Florida Statutes.
3) General, building or residential contractor licensed under Section 489.111, Florida Statutes.
4) Professional architect licensed under Section 481.213, Florida Statutes.
5) Professional engineer licensed under Section 471.015, Florida Statutes.
6) Other individual or entity recognized by the insurer as possessing the necessary qualifications to properly complete this form pursuant to Section 627.711(2)(f), Florida Statutes.

An important factor aside from you home age and applied building protection is its location inside the states wind born debris wind zones.

Last edited by preparedness expert; 07-03-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 01:40 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,770 times
thats nice that the senate found the time to pass an extension so that we can buy flood insurance. of course we could go without and not buy any flood insurance and the feds would show up and rebuild our houses, give us temporary housing and debit cards like they did in new orleans. oh wait, no that wouldnt happen for us, thats right. stupid me.

meanwhile why the senate was so busy passing the flood insurance extension did anyone notice that they did an emergency vote to fund out guys at war? tied onto that was aid for haiti at 2.9 BILLION dollars. not million but BILLION. kind of off topic but the way our money is being wasted when there are real problems to address burns me up.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM

I called my agent on Friday and was able to get flood insurance. Yippeeee-- she said Friday was the first day back to writing policies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area