Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times

Advertisements

I grew up spoiled on great Chinese food. New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC have some of the greatest Chinese food this side of the Yangtze River. I mean, awesome meals, whether they were refined high-end meals, or family style fare served in loud, hot, bustling small rooms.

I have had less luck in the past 15 years or so, living in Tampa/St. Pete, Baltimore, and now, Sarasota.

Now, of course, I would sacrifice eating Chinese food for the rest of my life if I had to do so in order to keep living here, but short of that...

...WHERE THE HELL CAN I GO FOR GREAT CHINESE FOOD?!

No, not a buffet. No, nothing with a bright pink "sweet and sour sauce." No, not the deep-fried basket of...breading. Nowhere that has a sushi bar, nowhere that also serves fried chicken.

Those who know will know what I mean. I have had some passable, not-repulsive Chinese food since I got here four months ago, but I sure would love it if someone could point me to the Real Deal.

The first fully credible recommendation will get an almost immediate trip report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,577 times
keep us posted - please!!

how about regular old chinese take-out? have you found anything good? when i was in Clearwater last summer i was in a bookstore and got into a conversation with the cashier about where I am from (the accent - i sound like Amy Fisher lol) she says "ooh, Long Island! You have the best chinese food" lol

Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I'm sorry to say that while Sarasota has a lot of great food, Chinese is not among them. I have been to places that virtually turn my stomach, but that many years ago.

Maybe since there are a lot of new residents coming that have a taste for it a place will open up, but in the past there hasn't been much more than the buffets.

At least downtown has a pretty good selection of various sushi/Asian places, just no Chinese.

When I was living in Lakeland a couple years ago, there was a really good Chinese takeout place - they billed themselves as "NY style Chinese takeout!" I went there a lot.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
I am as far from an expert on Chinese food as one can be ...but, How about the Wok In at Beneva / Bahia Vista. They are Chinese owned and run, maybe they can fix you what you are looking for.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Switch to Thai food; my personal favorite

Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
That's it - I'm not moving to Sarasota if I can't get good Chinese takeout! :-)

Combine that with no good Philly Cheesesteaks & it becomes a Foodies' nightmare.
FOODIE = Chinese & Cheesesteaks? LOL!!!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post

Combine that with no good Philly Cheesesteaks & it becomes a Foodies' nightmare.
there's enough of us with access to the good stuff that we should be able to bring it down (with the pizza and bagels) Chinese is better as leftovers anyway!!

I always thought I wanted a Philly Cheesesteak and would make my own wonderful versions of what I thought it would be like...then I saw something about cheezewiz and well, I'll stick with my fantasy version - thank you very much!!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Switch to Thai food; my personal favorite
that's swell if you are in the mood for Thai lol but it's not Chinese!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:24 PM

what's this? NY Chinese Restaurant - Sarasota, FL 34238 | Metromix Tampa Bay

someone should go there now and get the general tso's chicken combo w/pork fried rice and some wonton soup and report back...oh and eggrolls! (don't forget the duck sauce and soy sauce!!)

thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 PM

477 posts, read 987,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post

I hear they make a mean Philly Cheesesteak at Eat In And they deliver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area