U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 PM

96 posts, read 271,197 times

Advertisements

does anyone use hurricane fabric to protect their windows?

what are some of the options you use for flood protection?

regardless of what i've been reading on "hurricane preparedness", i continue to be So excited about our move (:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

7,486 posts, read 20,711,645 times
I don't have the fabric so I can't give any opinions on that.

For options you would have:
Fabric
Roll Down
Galvanized Aluminum
Lookout clear shutters
Accordion
and Bahama Shutters

I think I have them all listed.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 PM

51 posts, read 331,215 times
Default Hurricane Screens or Fabric

Hurricane fabric or ‘wind abatement’ screens as they are referred to in the hurricane protective industry are just as affective as any other hurricane protection when used according to its application.

The basic principle of any hurricane protection is to protect the envelope of the home. Hurricane fabrics have been a round for a while but are still considered new technologies in hurricane preparedness.
Many critics of the wind abatement screens point to the ‘deflection’ or glass separation criteria as a negative feature. Every shutter product has a required glass separation although most are only a few inches. The screens require several inches and in the case of larger opens a few feet of separation. The better application/use for screens are where separation is present when deployed. A screen stretched across a window may not have the ideal glass to screen deflection in a storm. In most cases this is still acceptable because you’re not protecting the window – you’re protecting the envelope of the home. You’re keeping the severe winds from entering the home. You may loose a window - but the wind can not penitrate the occupied space.

Review the example in attached photo. The ideal screen application is the large back lanai where the screen can be stretched from one wall to the next. Fabric screens are an ideal product to use outside on the Florida room. When deployed before the storm the furniture and plants can be secured behind the screen. Very little wind penetrates these screens – usually less then 2-3%. They keep driving rain out and allow light in.

They are light weight and easy to roll up for storage. But they need to be deployed just as a panel does before the storm. They can develop tears in them from sharp objects but this usually does not reduce the effectiveness of the screen. Studies have shown that the larger the screen the more energy it will absorb from impact. Screens are manufactured in many colors that can match the architectural elements of a home. Today’s fabric screens are an ideal replacement or option over metal roll shutters. They are an effective alternative and cost considerable less then metal roll shutters. The light weight reduces the need for a motor and the associated maintenance that comes with them.

Flooding depends on what your attempting to do....provide details. Research DoorDam - http://www.doordam.com/.

Last edited by preparedness expert; 07-06-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM

96 posts, read 271,197 times
you really know your hurricane fabric (: from what else i've read, it sounds like a good fit for us.

as to keeping water out of our house:
we'd like to keep water, even deep water, out of our house during a storm. our new house is directly across from a bay.
we've considered a block wall -- but are looking for something more "temporary" in nature as an alternative.
we've looked into sand bags, inflatable sand bags, aqua levees, water tube dams.... we're wondering what others deploy.

(:

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 12,764,617 times
Talking Stilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfreeamerica View Post
you really know your hurricane fabric (: from what else i've read, it sounds like a good fit for us.

we'd like to keep water, even deep water, out of our house during a storm. our new house is directly across from a bay.
we've considered a block wall -- but are looking for something more "temporary" in nature as an alternative.
we've looked into sand bags, inflatable sand bags, aqua levees, water tube dams.... we're wondering what others deploy.

(:
Sand bags? Where would you store that many until needed? You could raise the house on stilts. That's what they want the people in Nashville who live on the flood plane to do.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,894,161 times
Quote:

(:
For the most part I think most people just buy insurance and hope for the best. We are very close to the bay, and the Manatee river, and only 6 ft above sea level. Our house has been here since '24 and never had water in it.

My parents on the other hand are on the Manatee River and for some reason the house was built about 3 inches below grade, on a lot that's about 4 ft above sea level. They have had water in it several times over the last 15 years, but usually only an inch or so. They keep sand bags piled behind the house, and have used them a few times to block the doors and keep the water to a minimum. They also changed the entry from carpet to tile, and that has made the cleanup process a bit easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You could raise the house on stilts. That's what they want the people in Nashville who live on the flood plane to do.
Many houses here are on stilts, especially on the beaches. There are also a lot that aren't "on stilts", but are block construction, and only have garages and unfinished spaces on the ground floor. You'll find a lot of these types of homes on canals and beach areas.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM

385 posts, read 1,049,834 times
I have the Storm Catchers for my home and they are great. Super easy to store in a giant Rubbermaid container and they up up very quickly with sliding a screw in the track, putting the shutter in place, and then turning a wing nut. I haven't had any problems with them and luckily we have not had a bad enough storm here in years.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM

51 posts, read 331,215 times
Default Try DoorDam for flooding - PE

Quote:

(:

Try DoorDam, they have a good product that holds back deep waters from floods and its impact rated for minor surge protection.

I have not used it but have seen the product tested at trade shows. DoorDam - DoorDamâ„¢.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM

879 posts, read 1,759,132 times
oh brother. our usual technique up here is to put tape on the windows and hide in the basement when hurricanes are coming. i am slightly concerned because we will be in a rental. Maybe SoFlGal or someone knows how the Rivendell Woodlands houses were built? It's all new to me.

What do renters do when big storms are coming? Flee?

Those doordams looks neat if you know the water is coming. you guys are freakin me out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area