U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 8,340,359 times

Advertisements

So far, so good. Here is the latest information on the oil spill. I am surprised, but it still looks good for SWFL even after all the oil that has spilled.

If the cap it, and the loop current takes it away it may spare the beaches. I hope the cap it soon! This is rediculous!

Florida Releases July 7, 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Situation Update | Gov Monitor (http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/florida-releases-july-7-2010-gulf-oil-spill-situation-update-35064.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM

33 posts, read 33,714 times
Hopefully they get the Helix Producer hooked up and reduce further the amount of oil spewing into the Gulf.I hope there is an end to this mess soon.

Frank

Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,986,552 times
Wow, thanks for that. That is really OVERWHELMING good news. I saw a video that really hit home, as an animal lover I was heartbroken-this is very good news. I'll see if I can get the video here..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

228 posts, read 319,022 times
Aren't this the same people that predicted the east coast of florida would see oil on the beaches in mid-May? I'm beginning to think nobody really knows where it is going to end up. All it takes is one storm and their predictions will change....

Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM

14,648 posts, read 27,937,130 times
My husband works in O/G industry in TX--but onshore, smaller company--
he said that some of the comments he has heard from some people in the industry is that they are so worried that the oil is coming up the well bore OUTSIDE the well casing -- vs from inside the tubing--

when a well is drilled--any well--the cement is sent down outside the casing to seal the seams and insulate the exterior ground/earth from the well bore--
and the steel tubing is inside that ring of what should be a solid/dense/protective sheathing...

the issue is that BP and Halliburton took so many shortcuts with the composition of the mud/cement that it is not too spec--and in fact way south of what the composition should have been...
therefore the density is likely too porous--may have air bubbles or not been heavy enough to coat ALL of the well bore---and there are gaps in/around where the oil products are flowing--
that the oil is coming up OUTSIDE the tubing/casement and freeflowing up along side the tubing/casing--in which case drilling the relief well could just be an expensive failure...,

the difference is akin to sucking liquid through a straw--which is what a normal flow in a properly constructed well bore would compare to
and having something like a leaking pipe under the kitchen sink--where the water comes from the seal/loose connection and flows on the pipe until it meets the release point and drops on the cabinet floor--
this flow is going the opposite direction--top vs bottom--because of the pressure in the oil/ng reserve...

and I have read that this part of the ocean floor/geo terrain is volcanic--so there are all sorts of problems with what might happen if there is compromised pressure flow...

this could be very, very bad indeed if they really cocked up that drilling cement...
the CEO of Shell has had some interesting comments to make about the situation...

and Halliburton--who mixed it and should have screamed to high heaven if BP was asking them to cheapen the mixture and take short cuts--has taken really none of the heat for this so far....
should be really interesting to see what happens if investigation -- which is still ongoing--presents any proof that Halliburton in and of itself was negligent--Halliburton has some powerful allies in the Republican party and Washington needless to say--
AND in the media...

Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM

385 posts, read 720,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Aren't this the same people that predicted the east coast of florida would see oil on the beaches in mid-May? I'm beginning to think nobody really knows where it is going to end up. All it takes is one storm and their predictions will change....
I was thinking the same thing. I think these predictions are pretty much useless as the well is still gushing and we are gearing up for a big hurricane season. I think we are pretty much going to have to sit back and wait.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,910,337 times
I couldn't find a more specific thread on the oil spill so I'll ask here.

This AM on CNN they were discussing the most recent efforts toward preventing further damage to the LA or MS wetlands. It seems someone--didn't catch exactly who or what--wants to create a barrier of rocks near an island that protects the wetlands--this person opposes the plan. Another party supports it and stated that the water could still flow through the channels and so on and so forth.

So has LA abanded the plan to build sand barriers and decided to go with rocks?

And they said this summer's oysters are dead. It will probably be 3 years before oysters can be harvested again.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM

14,648 posts, read 27,937,130 times
we were eating at Pappadeaux cajun restaurant in Arlington TX--DFW area--couple of weeks ago before we went to see the Rangers baseball game

party at the table behind ours wanted to order an appetizer of oysters--and the waitress told them they had no oysters and wouldn't until after the well problem was taken care of--
guess ones from other locations are too few/expensive to fly into DFW

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM

3,248 posts, read 6,268,913 times
I would worry more about the Corexit you can't see. That and the toxic fumes. Nowhere on the gulf coast is safe, nowhere.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,384,965 times
Sometimes, the simplest of answers come from the minds of babes.

Cool solution to clean up oil disaster. [VIDEO]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area