Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

As you can see from the varied replies everyone is different - and it also really depends on the microclimate where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
yes--Fl is that--a potpourri of micro climates...

and I would say that the more concrete you have in your area the hotter your area will be

think of the way neighborhoods are designed--
some of them pay no attention to prevailing winds to take advantage of natural wind flow/shade/buildings blocking others
condo developments are often quilty of this because of having higher density constrution and often smaller sections of land
but some neighborhoods are designed w/o any though of using natural elements as helpful agents to good living...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggytoad View Post
We visited family in Watertown, WI a couple weekends ago and we've never had so many mosquitoes attack us as we walked the dogs through the relatives' yard. The stores reported that they couldn't keep bug spray in stock. The minute they put it on the shelves, it was sold out. Crazy! Don't ever remember having a mosquito problem when visiting FL.
Welcome to my world!! Watertown is about 40 minutes from us.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM

33 posts, read 58,036 times
What Loves2read notes is so true - using the natural elements when building makes it so much easier to adapt to the environment. I wonder if the older homes (Southside village area perhaps?) were built with large windows for cross breezes and ceiling fans to provide comfort before air conditioning. And maybe shade trees? Though I know times are different - trees come down during storms and cross breezes blow hot humid air. I was just hoping!

Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM

45 posts, read 50,436 times
My husband and I currently live in Northern Ca where we can have the windows open most of the year. But, we are thinking of moving to Sarasota, Englewood area because of the cost. What areas would people recommend where we could have the windows open most of the year?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catagonia View Post
My husband and I currently live in Northern Ca where we can have the windows open most of the year. But, we are thinking of moving to Sarasota, Englewood area because of the cost. What areas would people recommend where we could have the windows open most of the year?
I would not recommend keeping the windows open anywhere in FL during the summer months (which run May to October). For most of that time the daytime temps will make it too uncomfortable to not run the AC, but the humidity is the main factor. Even on "dry" days you are dealing with humidity in the uncomfortable range. You don't want that much humidity inside your home, things can quickly become musty.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:30 AM

390 posts, read 609,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catagonia View Post
If having your windows opens most of the year is important on where you would like to live, then Florida is not the place to move to.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 AM

118 posts, read 182,341 times
We are moving to Bradenton next year, and have visited the Bradenton/Sarasota area 4 times this year in late December, late February, June and August.

Regarding mosquitoes and other biting bugs, I did not notice bug bites on any of those trips. Nothing. It's funny, because we live in Raleigh, NC and as soon as we returned home to Raleigh from Florida in June and in August, I noticed bug bites right away. But nothing while we were in Florida. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Ruth

Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,978 times
You cannot put real wood floors in most Sarasota homes because the water vapor that emanates from the concrete slab will warp the wood and cause mold problems, even with a vapor barrier. Engineered wood floors will have the same problem.

A lot of people will substitute laminate for wood floors to get the look, but those feel cheap under foot. The preferred flooring choice here is tile. If you can find an older home with terrazzo floors, even better.

I personally detest air conditioning and will go a week or so past Memorial Day without AC, and I turn it off about this time of year and open the windows. I live on Manasota Key, and we usually get good breezes. The mosquitoes are not too bad if there's a breeze.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:58 PM

45 posts, read 50,436 times
Thank you for letting me know that it might be possible to have the windows open! I guess the key is to be close to the ocean to get the breezes! I'll also keep in mind to look for tile floors, all of this would not even be thought of coming from CA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area