U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,111 times
Default retirement destination

Hello All,
we want to move to south west florida and just not sure where to go. did some research on ft. meyer and cape coral and pretty much ruled them out so now leaning towards sarasota south to port charlotte. We live in chicago now and want to live there part time for now but move there perm. at some point. we love the water and boating and all activities just not sure if small town is better than larger one..coming from chicago you would think i want small town but not too small...also wonder how realestate prices different from place to place and which one in your opion is the prettiest....if you could include ft. myers and cape coral too that would be so greatly appreciated.

thankfully....nk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 11,676,931 times
I suppose "prettiest" is a matter of opinion. All the towns you mentioned have their pretty areas and the areas that are not so nice.

As a general rule, Sarasota would be more expensive, closer to the beaches, and a bigger town than Port Charlotte. Port Charlotte does have many canals that lead out to the harbor, so if you're a boater than that may be an option for you.

What do you consider pretty-new homes, older homes with character, golf course communities, homes on the water, etc?

It would also be helpful to know what you're price range is. If you took a newer home and moved that exact home to Sarasota you could expect to pay at least double for the same home. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM

388 posts, read 433,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse kathy View Post
Hello All,
we want to move to south west florida and just not sure where to go. did some research on ft. meyer and cape coral and pretty much ruled them out so now leaning towards sarasota south to port charlotte. We live in chicago now and want to live there part time for now but move there perm. at some point. we love the water and boating and all activities just not sure if small town is better than larger one..coming from chicago you would think i want small town but not too small...also wonder how realestate prices different from place to place and which one in your opion is the prettiest....if you could include ft. myers and cape coral too that would be so greatly appreciated.

thankfully....nk
The best thing to do is arrange to stay in the SW Florida area for about 3 months. You can then explore towns, cities, neighboorhoods, etc. all along the coast. We really thought we wanted to live in Venice, then after arriving in Florida and looking at real estate and staying in the area, we realized it wasn't our cup of tea. Temporarily stationed in Cape Coral, we totally ruled out Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Port Charlotte, North Port and Punta Gorda. Moving north, we liked the Sarasota/Bradenton area best and have purchased a home there. I'm originally from the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. Some places were too old, some too quiet, and some were just run down and ugly. Just be sure to do your research live and in person before making a decision. "Promotional" materials about a place can be deceiving. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 AM

9,796 posts, read 15,184,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
The best thing to do is arrange to stay in the SW Florida area for about 3 months. You can then explore towns, cities, neighboorhoods, etc. all along the coast. We really thought we wanted to live in Venice, then after arriving in Florida and looking at real estate and staying in the area, we realized it wasn't our cup of tea. Temporarily stationed in Cape Coral, we totally ruled out Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Port Charlotte, North Port and Punta Gorda. Moving north, we liked the Sarasota/Bradenton area best and have purchased a home there. I'm originally from the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. Some places were too old, some too quiet, and some were just run down and ugly. Just be sure to do your research live and in person before making a decision. "Promotional" materials about a place can be deceiving. Good luck!
Great choice, Iamrita - Out of all those areas, I have to agree that Sarasota/Bradenton is by far the best - for me and hubby anyway!

So what area did you finally buy?

And to the OP, of course it is all subjective, but I think Sarasota/Bradenton is the prettiest of all the areas, but every area has some pretty parts and also some that are not so much. I like Sarasota because it is a small city with a LOT of big city amenities, very cosmopolitan, a GREAT little vibrant downtown with absolutely everything, and the best beaches on the Gulf Coast. Sometimes I can't believe I live here!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Default Look at Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse kathy View Post
Hello All,

thankfully....nk
We have lived in Venice for 12 yrs and were visitors before then. There is so much here and it is still quaint. Boating, beaching, community theater, a yacht club and some good restaurants, a library, shopping, community art center, movies, bike paths galore and many, many parks.

Don't consider Cape Coral but do look at Sarasota which is like
Venice but much larger and pricier.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,664,128 times
Im from Chicago also, we relocated here four years ago. The entire family followed us! What area are you from?

My whole Family excluding my parents live in the University Park area. It's right on the border of Bradenton and Sarasota. It offers a very suburban like feel, lots of amenties, very safe and very well kept. You are close to Lido beaches, as well as Siesta Key beach and close to the Interstate and airport. We like it because it offers easy access to small town Bradenton, larger, busier Sarasota, and it's not even too far from Tampa. It's busy, but not congested, and it's very quiet. There are townhomes, condo's, but it's mostly single family homes. Many of the areas consist of couples with grown children, or those who are retirement age. There are a few communities with younger children like my husband and I. I can offer more info if you tell me if you are interested in a home or condo..My whole family absolutely loves it out this way..

Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 PM

1,242 posts, read 975,003 times
I'm interested in this thread because we're also looking for a winter retreat. Can't spend 3 months looking, at least not this year. We're just spending a few days next month, to look around.

What is Bradenton like? Is it all suburban? Gypsychic, where did you settle? Looking at Sarasota too, but not sure we can afford it, but don't really want suburban.

Also looking at St. Pete's, but it's funny: 40 years ago St. Petersburg was known up here in the frozen north as the extreme geriatric wing of Florida. Now it seems to have turned itself around--would youngish, active 60-somethings feel out of place there?

Old 01-01-2011, 03:04 PM

1,143 posts, read 758,846 times
We relocated here (from Phoenix) in Dec 2007 with our priority being a single fam home with our own dock and direct Gulf access. We loved the Punta Gorda area but found Port Charlotte to be much more affordable for our budgets. We bought a 2/2/2 canal home in the Murdock area of Port Charlotte. The home had last sold in 2004 for 190k. It was listed in early 2008 for 225k and we got it for 199k. It has a huge dock/deck, riprap seawall and 10k pound boat lift, which we covered now. We are very happy in PC. We're 45-54 and the kids are gone (but grandkids love visiting). We go to the Keys 3-4 times a year and love it there. We recently joined the Charlotte Harbor Parott Head Club (500 members and growing) and highly recommend it!

For lots of pictures and stories of our life here,

Check out our blog at Messing About in South Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area