Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM

96 posts, read 313,289 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have frequently followed this Board but never posted on it because for many reasons, Florida never entered our "places to possibly retire" radar and that has been primarily why I post on City-Data.

My husband John and I both previously lived in Florida (waaaaaaaaaay back...me in 1977 and he in 1985, though we've both visited several times since) and never considered it as a place to ever live in again. WOW-has Florida changed!!! We were wrong!

My husband and I are both lifelong East Coasters. My husband, John was born and raised in Newark NJ area, lived in Syracuse NY for 15 years, Hudson Valley NY for 10 years and many parts of USA due to contractual work. I was born and raised in Providence RI, lived in Central FL, NJ, CT, MA, and NYC (for 12 years) prior to moving to Ann Arbor MI in 2005 due to husband's work. John and I have wrestled with places to semi-retire after John gets his 10 years or so (fewer, hopefully) in at his job. While we love our 140 yr old farmhouse and 2 acres of land, I have really struggled with Michigan. After recently exploring Southern CA, NM, AZ, RI, Jersey Coast, Maryland, New Orleans, TX and other places, I think the Sarasota area is going to be the ticket...and I am thrilled about it!

I just returned from a 14-day vacation in Florida with my 17 year old niece-we had a blast! We stayed in Kissimmee but traveled all along the Gulf Coast from Tampa/St. Petersburg down to Marco Island. This was my 5th trip to Florida (four in Central Florida and one in 2006 to Ft. Lauderdale & Hollywood) and I absolutely fell in love with the Gulf Coast area, especially the beauty, the pace and the people!

There were a number of reasons that my husband and I had previously dismissed Florida but we were wrong. As we compared all the places we previously visited, the Florida Gulf Coast, especially the Sarasota region seems to hit the spot:

PROS:
1- Area offers one of the highest quality of livings rivaling the BEST places in the USA...quality of life is waaaaaaaay up there;
2- Florida has superior weather...I've lived in high heat & humidity my entire life...12 summers in Manhattan, say no more;
3- Place is relatively clean and safe...physically pretty;
4- MANY TAX BREAKS for 55+ including state, local, housing, etc, etc;
5- Area offers numerous cultural, artistic activities for folks like us but seems to lack the snooty factor (which I do not like...snootiness). There's the Sarasota Opera, Sarasota Ballet, Florida West Coast Symphony, Sarasota Supports the Arts, Sarasota FILM SOCIETY, ART GALLERIES, music, GOURMET EATS, mixed culture, history, architecture, concerts, local theater, etc, etc);
6- Top beaches in the World...powder white sand;
7- Superior health care...acute care, cardiac, oncology, assisted living, nursing home;
8- Strong retirement culture, strong TOURISM culture=GREAT economy...not super depressing...some recent downturn, of course...that will slowly change...remember, I currently live in MICHIGAN ;
9- Lots of facilities & activities, etc, etc as well as other support structures for aging baby boomers;
10- Proximal to Tampa with Major League sports teams (for John, not me), etc and additional arts & culture, etc, etc;
11- Major airport in Tampa-St. Pete/minor airport in Sarasota/Brandenton;
12- FRIENDLY to newcomers;
13- Laid back!!!!
14- RELATIVELY afordable for us.

CONS:
1- BECAUSE OF HIGH DEMAND, the Sarasota, Venice area has a slightly HIGHER than AVERAGE cost of living, especially real estate costs!!!
2- Snowbird and tourist congestion ;
3- Hurricane potential

Being away from the East Coast now for nearly 5 years has really made me recognize how much I dislike it there...I would NEVER move back and I would NEVER move to the Atlantic Coast of Florida...it's just not for me...been there, done that...want no part of that pace and lifestyle.

Seeing my niece mellow out and act like an actual human-being in Florida made me view the place differently. My niece noted the changes in her, too. For the most part (I know no place is perfect), the people we met in Central and West Florida were REALLY REALLY SUPER nice! Polite, easy-going, FRIENDLY, kind, laid-back, out-going but not "in-your-face" intrusive, etc. Even the folks on this board are super nice!

I really love the place. Call me crazy but I think there is something about being in the sunshine, near the water, in the water, outdoors a lot, near sunrises and sunsets, near nature, roaming the shores, playing in the sand, etc, etc that makes people seem a bit more wholesome. I am so excited about the POSSIBILITY of moving to the Gulf Coast in the near future. John and I are visiting in December 2010 to look at the area from the perspective of relocation.

Than again, maybe it all relates to Mickey Mouse Land we DID have a touristy blast!

Anyhow, all feedback and input would be most appreciated! Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,825,883 times
You sound super excited! It seems if you have put a lot of thought into this. Since you're using this for a retirement home you probably wouldn't need jobs and schools probably wouldn't be of interest.

So, I guess I'll start out with a few questions so we can get you going in the right direction:

1. What kind of things interest you? Boating, golfing, beaches, etc

2. Do you want a house or a condo?

3. What are your top three things in a house or condo? What do you absolutely not want?

4. Do you have pets? Some subdivisions have restrictions on size, weight, how many, breed, etc

5. What is your price range?

6. Do you want gulf access?

7. How close to the beach do you want to live?

8. Do you want to stay in Sarasota? Do you have a specific town or subdivision in mind?

This will give us a good idea of areas to suggest. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
PROS:
1- Area offers one of the highest quality of livings rivaling the BEST places in the USA...quality of life is waaaaaaaay up there;
2- Florida has superior weather...I've lived in high heat & humidity my entire life...12 summers in Manhattan, say no more;
5- Area offers numerous cultural, artistic activities for folks like us but seems to lack the snooty factor (which I do not like...snootiness). There's the Sarasota Opera, Sarasota Ballet, Florida West Coast Symphony, Sarasota Supports the Arts, Sarasota FILM SOCIETY, ART GALLERIES, music, GOURMET EATS, mixed culture, history, architecture, concerts, local theater, etc, etc);
7- Superior health care...acute care, cardiac, oncology, assisted living, nursing home;
8- Strong retirement culture, strong TOURISM culture=GREAT economy...not super depressing...some recent downturn, of course...that will slowly change...remember, I currently live in MICHIGAN ;
9- Lots of facilities & activities, etc, etc as well as other support structures for aging baby boomers;
10- Proximal to Tampa with Major League sports teams (for John, not me), etc and additional arts & culture, etc, etc;
13- Laid back!!!!

Seeing my niece mellow out and act like an actual human-being in Florida made me view the place differently. My niece noted the changes in her, too. For the most part (I know no place is perfect), the people we met in Central and West Florida were REALLY REALLY SUPER nice! Polite, easy-going, FRIENDLY, kind, laid-back, out-going but not "in-your-face" intrusive, etc. Even the folks on this board are super nice!

I really love the place. Call me crazy but I think there is something about being in the sunshine, near the water, in the water, outdoors a lot, near sunrises and sunsets, near nature, roaming the shores, playing in the sand, etc, etc that makes people seem a bit more wholesome. I am so excited about the POSSIBILITY of moving to the Gulf Coast in the near future. John and I are visiting in December 2010 to look at the area from the perspective of relocation.

Than again, maybe it all relates to Mickey Mouse Land we DID have a touristy blast!

Anyhow, all feedback and input would be most appreciated! Thank you everyone!
All this and more is exactly why me and hubby live here. This place has got it all - hurry up and move here so you can enjoy it too!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 PM

96 posts, read 313,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
You sound super excited! It seems if you have put a lot of thought into this. Since you're using this for a retirement home you probably wouldn't need jobs and schools probably wouldn't be of interest.

So, I guess I'll start out with a few questions so we can get you going in the right direction:

1. What kind of things interest you? Boating, golfing, beaches, etc

2. Do you want a house or a condo?

3. What are your top three things in a house or condo? What do you absolutely not want?

4. Do you have pets? Some subdivisions have restrictions on size, weight, how many, breed, etc

5. What is your price range?

6. Do you want gulf access?

7. How close to the beach do you want to live?

8. Do you want to stay in Sarasota? Do you have a specific town or subdivision in mind?

This will give us a good idea of areas to suggest. Good luck with your search.
Thanks so much for replying to my post! My husband returned from work a few hours back and we have been discussing much of what you've cited above. Because our home here in Michigan is so precious, we are both very reluctant to up and leave entirely...plus you know all about the housing market and such. John is contemplating "a place we can have that might be rentable during popular Sarasota times," which is just about ALL the time in Sarasota

We would like to be near the beach but we don't need to be right on it...I think we'd rather have more "house" or "apartment" and be further away from the beach than vice versa.

A pool would be nice and so would a lanai or screened in porch! That's about it...we're pretty easy! Don't need Gulf access...we are not boaters. John and I are NOT boaters, golfers, etc but we do enjoy the beach.

Another HUGE plus to Florida (versus the South West) is the fact that it is DRIVEBLE for us, so we won't need to face parting with furry children & animals in the future! I absolutely love my 2 dogs and 1 cat...although they are getting on in years. However, adopting additional furry kids was becoming a bit of a dilemma if we were going to face leaving them with someone for any substantial period of time (something I absolutely would not want to do) or taking them with us (crating and flying, YUCK) if we relocated somewhere part-time that was not a driveable distance. So, a place where I can have animals is a big plus, too!

Any ideas you have about smaller, quainter, quieter towns and/or areas in and about Sarasota would be helpful and most appreciated. Our price range would likely be around $275,000 for a house (if we immediately relocated FULL time) or about $150,000-$175,00 (if we initially did the snowbird, part-time thing). Thank you...you are so kind!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,240,144 times
We relocated from Chicago 4 years ago-- it has changed our lives tremendously for the better. Really, changed it more than I ever imagined!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for replying to my post! My husband returned from work a few hours back and we have been discussing much of what you've cited above. Because our home here in Michigan is so precious, we are both very reluctant to up and leave entirely...plus you know all about the housing market and such. John is contemplating "a place we can have that might be rentable during popular Sarasota times," which is just about ALL the time in Sarasota

We would like to be near the beach but we don't need to be right on it...I think we'd rather have more "house" or "apartment" and be further away from the beach than vice versa.

A pool would be nice and so would a lanai or screened in porch! That's about it...we're pretty easy! Don't need Gulf access...we are not boaters. John and I are NOT boaters, golfers, etc but we do enjoy the beach.

Another HUGE plus to Florida (versus the South West) is the fact that it is DRIVEBLE for us, so we won't need to face parting with furry children & animals in the future! I absolutely love my 2 dogs and 1 cat...although they are getting on in years. However, adopting additional furry kids was becoming a bit of a dilemma if we were going to face leaving them with someone for any substantial period of time (something I absolutely would not want to do) or taking them with us (crating and flying, YUCK) if we relocated somewhere part-time that was not a driveable distance. So, a place where I can have animals is a big plus, too!

Any ideas you have about smaller, quainter, quieter towns and/or areas in and about Sarasota would be helpful and most appreciated. Our price range would likely be around $275,000 for a house (if we immediately relocated FULL time) or about $150,000-$175,00 (if we initially did the snowbird, part-time thing). Thank you...you are so kind!
Well, for quaint I would say the Southside Village area. It's also very close to the beach. Seems like it would be a really great area for you. It's also really close to downtown Sarasota. Another area would be the Indian Beach area. You can look in my profile and check out the blog that says "downtown Sarasota". It pretty much tells all about the Southside village area. That price range may be a little tough but I think you could probably pick up a foreclosure in that range.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM

169 posts, read 394,760 times
I hope you make it to this area. We traveled to Florida 2 to 4 times a year but living here,well wasn't too sure of that. Well here we are and we love it.Always feel like we are on vacation .Summer clothes almost all year round.

I wanted to keep our home in the NE and went back and forth on that.Decided it would be a lot of work keeping up 2 homes and worried about our home in the NE when the snow would come etc. So nixed the idea. Glad we dicided to break away.Of course we go back and visit about 2-3 times a year but when we do,I am more sure that Florida is the place to live full time.Plus the travel would be tough on our dogs.

If you move,I think at first,however much you like it,you will miss things from where you came from,I did anyway.. Yet as you get to know people and make Fl your home,except for Family,you will surely get to realize the plus side of living here.

Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 PM

You might also want to think about taking a few trips down here and renting while you explore Sarasota to find the perfect area. That would take the pressure off finding the perfect place right away. Just an idea

Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 AM

473 posts, read 1,163,179 times
Quote:
As we compared all the places we previously visited, the Florida Gulf Coast, especially the Sarasota region seems to hit the spot:

PROS:
13- Laid back!!!!

CONS:
1- BECAUSE OF HIGH DEMAND, the Sarasota, Venice area has a slightly HIGHER than AVERAGE cost of living, especially real estate costs!!!
2- Snowbird and tourist congestion ;
3- Hurricane potential
Looks like Sarasota has snagged another one! It is such a beautiful area and as your post shows the reasons to live there out number the reasons not to by 14-3
And hey dont forget about the FT Myers airport. We look to it more because of the direct flights there as well as Tampa. I am sad that SRQ does't ever fit into our plans. First off there are no direct flights there from here. Second of all the flights that do go there are more expensive than what we get for Tampa or FT Myers direct and I would much rather drive an hour and a half than make a connecting flight.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 AM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
SRQ does have direct flights, but I am guessing you mean to wherever you are going? SRQ is really a nice smaller international airport, which they always seem to be improving. We love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area