Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:50 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are afraid of a few mosquitoes in Florida, this is what mr.cool has resorted to in order or mow our lawn here in Wisconsin. And no, he's not dressed like this because of our "frozen tundra" reputation. It's currently in the upper 80's. He's dressed this way to try to keep the skeeters off him.
The picture is a little off center 'cuz the mosquitoes were trying to take me back to their lair. The bigger ones were all on one side and I was going airborne a little off kilter.
Attached Thumbnails
Sarasota Florida mosquitoes, love bugs, insects etc.-p1000999.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 14,808 times
I can tell you that during the day I have never been bit by a mosquito here. They come out at dusk but I walk my dog each evening and never have a problem.

We do have a "love bug" problem for about 2 weeks. They are little and other than getting on your windshield, they are not really a bother but you will have to wash your windshield.

Knock on wood but I have never seen a spider in my house. I have never had the inside of my house sprayed but I do have the outside of my house sprayed from an organic company. If I saw a big spider in my house I would pass out! LOL

We have lots of gecko's and I have little green tree frogs that are out in my yard standing guard. Also, we have a cage on our pool to keep it bug free in that area.

I'd stay away from standing water areas and ponds since mosquitos love to breed there.

You'll love it here. Don't worry about the bugs. I am not a bug fan either and I am very happy here!

Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM

477 posts, read 987,408 times
I haven't noticed a mosquito problem yet. We do have an enclosed lanai but we bike and walk alot, as well. My sister was here visiting and she is very allergic to them so we would have known if she had gotten bitten by one. I thougt I would be afraid of those spiny orbed weaver spiders, but I actually think they are cute.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
I haven't noticed a mosquito problem yet. We do have an enclosed lanai but we bike and walk alot, as well. My sister was here visiting and she is very allergic to them so we would have known if she had gotten bitten by one. I thougt I would be afraid of those spiny orbed weaver spiders, but I actually think they are cute.
Yeah I think the orbed spiders look kind of like a Pokémon.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,945 times
Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
For those of you who are afraid of a few mosquitoes in Florida, this is what mr.cool has resorted to in order or mow our lawn here in Wisconsin. And no, he's not dressed like this because of our "frozen tundra" reputation. It's currently in the upper 80's. He's dressed this way to try to keep the skeeters off him.
The picture is a little off center 'cuz the mosquitoes were trying to take me back to their lair. The bigger ones were all on one side and I was going airborne a little off kilter.
YIKES! Those critters must be biting! Thank goodness they're all up there, and not bad at all down here in NY this year. We've had such dry weather, I think they all died of thirst or something. My hubby hasn't had to mow our lawn in over 6 weeks, and it crunches under your feet when you walk on it! I remember my Mama used to have to mow HER lawn with a paper bag on her head with holes cut out so she could see because the skeeters were so bad in NM! NICE!!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

BITING??? I guess you could say that!!! I've lived in WI all my life (so far anyway) and this summer is the worst I've EVER seen. They bang on our patio door begging us to let them in. All you can do is make a mad dash from place to place. It's been raining constantly for weeks. However, it FINALLY cooled off yesterday and the humidity has gone down.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM

209 posts, read 452,648 times
hi -- i have only lived here a couple of months.. and been outside a lot every day... our screen is torn on the lanai as well.. have only had one or two days where gnats were bothering me... i dont think i have slapped at a mosquito at all. I may have been bit by a noseeum --not quite sure... but the bite itched for a week --- i am sure i will eventually see a mosquito.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM

I've been bitten by noseeums as well, and that bite IS horrible. I don't really itch from mosquitoes, maybe one or two days and a little Benadryl topically takes care of it. But when I was down in Port Charlotte last November my legs got bitten up sooooooo bad, and itched soooooo badly I was woken up at night because of it. Had to be noseeums.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

209 posts, read 452,648 times
i posted this in a landscaping post, but will do it here too... we planted a couple of Neem Trees and they are supposed be a natural deterrent to all insects. I am sure you have probably seen neem oil to spray on plants for insect/rodent problems. We planted one near the fruit trees and one near our deck. It will need some growing time to be effective I am sure. The nursery owner said when they are mature, they are effective up to a 40 ft radius. They are not cold hardy -- so if you are sarasota or south, you'll probably be okay.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
I don't know what kind of bugs swarm around Sarasota Bay Marina's, but I'd advise not moving near one. I have hundreds of bites from a yet unknown source when I went fishing at the marina a few days ago. They only attacked my legs, but they itch like crazy and I've been having cold/flu-like symptoms for days now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area