Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:50 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times

Advertisements

SO I just had Lasik surgery at the Center For Sight (Dr. Lahners) right here in Sarasota.

With the exception of needing reading glasses now (as opposed to some sort of lenses at all times before...I was VERY nearsighted), I would say this was a raucous success.

The Center For Sight was very professional and it was impossible to not be confident in them throughout the entire process.

Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like about the procedure, etc.

I know there are some of you out there who have been considering it, and I know the idea of the entire thing is just...scary.

So ask away if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,072 times
I had mine done in 99. I'm still happy with the results.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
SO I just had Lasik surgery at the Center For Sight (Dr. Lahners) right here in Sarasota.

With the exception of needing reading glasses now (as opposed to some sort of lenses at all times before...I was VERY nearsighted), I would say this was a raucous success.

The Center For Sight was very professional and it was impossible to not be confident in them throughout the entire process.

Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like about the procedure, etc.

I know there are some of you out there who have been considering it, and I know the idea of the entire thing is just...scary.

So ask away if you like.
I had it a year ago up here in Baltimore, Dr. Katzen. They did a terrific job. I needed reading glasses before, as well as being very near sighted. Right after (a couple days) the surgery, I needed reading glasses again (same prescription as before). But after about 6 months, my vision has continued to improve. I see 20/20, and I no longer need reading glasses either. I can read fine print, in books, and have no problem with menus either.

My brother had it a year before I did, and he was thrilled with it, and another friend of mine had it before that. Sooo, I decided I would do it as well, and am very pleased. Being active and a boater, swimmer, including snorkelling and scuba diving, I wanted the extra freedom. I had warn soft contact lens for a long time.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM

I had mine done a week ago. It was epi-Lasik, which is a little different in that it has a slightly longer recovery time (my corneas are too thin for Lasik). The upside of the epi-Lasik, they say, is that it has a virtually perfect success rate, and almost never needs "fine tuning."

I love hearing these success stories, because even if my vision were to get no better than it is right now, I would still consider this a great success.

If I can actually eventually get by with no readers, I will consider this the greatest thing in the world, as opposed to merely awesome.

P.S. It has already shaved six strokes off my golf handicap.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

70 posts, read 216,899 times
Do you see halos at night?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Dr. Lahners did mine as well. I had it done about 6 years ago. I couldn't even see the "E" on the eye chart prior to having it done. Now I have perfect vision.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
for me seeing the E would have been good. i could make out the shadow of the chart. i had it done about 10 years ago. even though you can see better now it gets better every day for a couple months. a do get some hallows at night from street lights. the flourescent lights in stores make it difficult.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM

No halos for me at all. Just the need for readers, which I really don't mind that much. A little dry eye, but I'm told that is also expected and goes away.

I really wish I had done this years ago.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
I had LASIK done 10 years ago & my husband did shortly after. Hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself! I still have 20/20 vision ( & I went from not being able to see numbers on the alarm clock)

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM

Nobody has anything negative to say at all? Here, allow me elaborate sufficiently to find SOMETHING negative:

With the epi-Lasik, the procedure itself is a breeze. I mean, all your worry is for nothing. It's merely odd, but in no way painful. Eight minutes or so...done.

The recovery, on the other hand, is a bit uncomfortable. Not painful, really, just uncomfortable. When I left the center, I was very light sensitive, but could already tell that my vision was repaired. There is no pain, just mild discomfort.

The second day, while going through the prescribed regime of drops, I was surprised to find no discomfort, and I thought it was the easiest thing in the world.

The third day was uncomfortable. I gather this is from the healing of the cornea. Suffice to say, i wouldn't suggest driving or attending any events where you have to even pretend to be in a good mood. Percocet helped a lot. More drops. I floated away on a wave of eye drops.

After that...everything has been perfectly simple. You cannot swim in your expensive pool, which will taunt you from your lanai, for two weeks. This is discouraging, but so what? It's summer. It's raining all the damned time anyway.

So it's been two weeks now, and while I still require reading glasses (hoping even this passes), everything seems pretty much perfect.

Also, the Center For Sight, while efficient and friendly and competent, is a busy place. They obviously do an awful lot of these procedures. While this is great from a confidence standpoint, one cannot help but feel a little anonymous, in a "take a number" sort of way.

Oh yeah--the expense is not exactly fun. $5,000 these days is hard to part with.

Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone, in spite of these minor disturbances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area