Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM

477 posts, read 987,072 times

Advertisements

My sister, brother-in-law and two neices just left back to Ohio after 2 great weeks here in beautiful Sarasota. I miss them so much (the house is TOO quiet!) but they fell in LOVE with it here! The good news is that they are now planning on making the move. My brother-in-law can transfer to Tampa soon but he is going to see if he can work from home down here. That would be ideal! But even if they had to move closer to Tampa, we would still be pretty close. And when they move down, my mom will follow...yay!

We wined and dined them alot so I thought I would make some comments on some of the restaurants we have been to lately. Some of the places were not with them, just since we have moved here. (We usually eat pretty healthy but we have been in vacation mode for a while!)

Millie's~Wonderful breakfast!! Everything we had was delicious and the portions are huge. Our kids even split the children's portions. My favorite (bad, bad me..) is the biscuit and gravy with homefries. SO good! And the service is great, too!

The Hub~very good! I had the fish tacos and Greg had a huge burrito. They don't serve complimentary chips and salsa so we ordered a combo with salsa, guac and cheese dip. ehhh....the guac was good but the salsa and cheese dip were not. Will go back.

El Toro Bravo~Everyone was pleased with what they ordered. You can tell that they don't use lard, which is a good thing. I like their green sauce. We will go there again.

Burritos~I am not a picky person but I can't believe this place is in business. I'm not kidding when I say that the salsa is pretty much Campbell's Tomato soup. There is nothing to it whatsoever. Not one fleck of anything is to be found. My sister ordered a veggie burrito and the only things in it were huge chunks of carrots and califlower, no joke.

Casey Key Fish House~We love this place! Everything we have gotten there has been great! I think it's my go-to place for good food, service, sitting on the water with a nice breeze...maybe I'll see Stephen King there someday.

Mattison's~ I think that's the name..right in front of Whole Foods..It was great! Live music, outdoor dining. We will go there again.

Old Salty Dog~been to both locations and we had a great time. I prefer to be on the water, of course. Typical yet fresh. My sister's Firecracker Wrap was excellent and my son loved his Maui Wow-wee burger. Dh and bil both preferred the fish and chips at Casey Key Fish House, though.

Pop's Sunset Grill~Another place we will return to. Nice waterfront view. I think we all had the burgers since it was the special for the day. Very good.

NY Chinese~It will definitely do fine for take-out. The price is great and the portions are huge so you will have lefetovers! They have good service, too. I do miss my PF Changs...

Munchies 4:20~Can I say that I hate the fact that I love it?? I am not from Philly or Chicago or any place like that so I can't say I am an expert on a good philly steak...Oh, mama!! I got the loaded philly and it's the best philly I've ever had. Others got the Fat Daddy, Fat Sandy, etc. We ended up getting it twice since my bil had to have it again for his last meal in Sarasota. The scary thing is that they deliver.

Simon's Coffee House~Ahhh...now I can let my healthy lifestyle shine through...I can see myself stopping by weekly for a quick lunch/snack. Try the Green and Tonic Healthy Shake. Mmmm....Soups and sandwiches are yummy and fresh.

Okay, I'm done for now. And yes, I'm a dork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 03:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Gawd, that post made me hungry! drool.....

Sounds like you all had a great time - thanks for the reviews.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
If nothing else I'll move down just for the food

Glad you will have your family moving down as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,540 times
There's no Changs in Sarasota?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
ha you've been busy eating out!! thanks for the reviews! we had the in-laws over this weekend and went to Pelican Alley last night then hung out at Nokomis Beach. Fun and the food was good and cheap.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
OKAY, BEACHY--- Just for your info, I realize there is a PF changs way out in Sarasota. Since you are my neighbor I thought I would share that we found out they are planning to open a PF Changs right on UNIVERSITY PKWAY.. Yippeee for us right?? I know, the chinese out in our specific little nook, really stinks!! Interesting about Munchies 420, Food Network filmed a Man vs Food episode there. I have wanted to go there since. Now I really want to go! Thanks for the information- and that is super news about the family.. Glad to see you have become a regular! : )

Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
OKAY, BEACHY--- Just for your info, I realize there is a PF changs way out in Sarasota. Since you are my neighbor I thought I would share that we found out they are planning to open a PF Changs right on UNIVERSITY PKWAY.. Yippeee for us right?? I know, the chinese out in our specific little nook, really stinks!! Interesting about Munchies 420, Food Network filmed a Man vs Food episode there. I have wanted to go there since. Now I really want to go! Thanks for the information- and that is super news about the family.. Glad to see you have become a regular! : )
Where did you hear that, Oobie? I know they have Pei Wei on University Parkway (Cooper Creek). There is another Chinese take-out place on University as well, I need to try them some time. I really love being close to Uni Pkwy, there is SO MUCH great shopping and dining there.

Hehehe I saw hat episode about Munchies - those are some sandwiches!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:02 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Where did you hear that, Oobie? I know they have Pei Wei on University Parkway (Cooper Creek). There is another Chinese take-out place on University as well, I need to try them some time. I really love being close to Uni Pkwy, there is SO MUCH great shopping and dining there.

Hehehe I saw hat episode about Munchies - those are some sandwiches!

I was googling for about an HOUR trying to find a good chinese place and I stumbled across an article about development in the University Park area. HOWEVER, I just googled it again to post it for you and didn't read it closely enough.. Pei Wei is opening in the fall, it's a diner owned by PF Chang..better than nothing I guess. Boy, if a decent chinese place opened around here they'd make a killing!!

Last edited by Oobie119; 08-16-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Oobie, Pei Wei has been open since last fall. I have never tried it, I don't care much for "cafeteria" type places, and I understand that is what that is. The line out the door was a mile long when it first opened - we go to Bonefish in that same plaza, and would see those long lines - I wonder if it's really that good.....What is the difference between Pei Wei and P.F. Chang's?

Frankly, there are so many great places to eat around here I could never get around to them all. We cook most meals at home these days anyway - cheaper and better!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 AM

153 posts, read 287,911 times
Getting ready to make the move to Bradenton from Chicago. Where does one find a good Vienna hot dog, beef sandwhich or gyros? Am I going to have to open my own place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area