Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,237,865 times

Advertisements

We would like to remove the stone around our landscaping and use mulch. Its seems to be very popular, looks nice and is cheap. However, we heard it can attract bugs and noseums.. any input?? Or other ideas on what to use that looks great but is inexpensive? We would be using it around palms in the back, and some bushes in the front and we would use it around the perimeter of our lanai. I don't want anything that is going to attract bugs, any more so than average : )
Also, any suggestions on plants or flowers to use (with the mulch). Small plants that require little maintenance and won't grow out of control, or maybe some pretty smelling flowers native to this area..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,016,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
We would like to remove the stone around our landscaping and use mulch. Its seems to be very popular, looks nice and is cheap. However, we heard it can attract bugs and noseums.. any input?? Or other ideas on what to use that looks great but is inexpensive? We would be using it around palms in the back, and some bushes in the front and we would use it around the perimeter of our lanai. I don't want anything that is going to attract bugs, any more so than average : )
Also, any suggestions on plants or flowers to use (with the mulch). Small plants that require little maintenance and won't grow out of control, or maybe some pretty smelling flowers native to this area..?
I prefer the stone, but that's me, and it depends on what the stone looks like.

I would advise that if you use mulch that you put down a reall good weed barrier (and don't skimp on the cost - you get what you pay for). I would recommend a larger bark mulch than the shredded mulch which breaks down faster. It is all a matter of preference. When you put plants and flowers in use a good topsoil and some fertilizer (make the hole twice as large as the root ball of the existing plant). Plus, you need to water the new plants every day.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,237,865 times
I don't mind the stone either, but it's white and nasty looking..and there is no barrier so the weeds are awful. The neighbor came over earlier actually, and complimented us on how much work we have done so far. We just have a lot to do on the outside landscaping, but its so friggin hot out!! Im going to try to figure out how to do pictures here!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 PM

209 posts, read 449,999 times
I suggest either eucalyptus mulch or Florimulch (sp)? I buy mine from Big Earth Landscaping (bradenton --tell ryan i sent you) or they have a Sarasota location... good place and good service... knowledgable. they have other products for borders too.

I am not a giant tree hugger, but i honestly like the organic approach to my yard. I haven't tested the FL bugs and weather fully yet. But, i believe that if you keep lots of microbes in your soil and the plants vigirous (not from weed and feed), in the long run you will be better off. I used this method in San Antonio for 15 yrs and our yard was the greenest on our block and the soil was full of earthworms.

Big Earth is not that 'organic' but still a good place for compost, mulch, etc. I do not think i would buy mulch from big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes (even though i bough some stock in Scott's Miricle Grow -- i wouldnt put it on my yard !!! ha ha ... such a hypocrite huh?

Oh .. Ryan doesnt know me as 222muchcoffee... my name is Wade

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Oh -- M&W supply on fruitvale (east of 75) is a good place too. If you go on a saturday, they sell some pretty decent chicken tamales... try one! I also tried a .....gulp... aloe vera with a fruit juice added... it was really good with the tamale. I ve never seen it before -- i looked at publix and couldn't find them... they really were a good combo!

Signed-

Hug dat tree or ... sip on aloe vera?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I don't mind the stone either, but it's white and nasty looking..and there is no barrier so the weeds are awful. The neighbor came over earlier actually, and complimented us on how much work we have done so far. We just have a lot to do on the outside landscaping, but its so friggin hot out!! Im going to try to figure out how to do pictures here!
I hate to mention this, but I know what you are probably dealing with as far as the weeds. I just up-graded my landscaping. Here is what you might consider.

1. Spray Round-up on the weeds until you are ready to redo your garden areas. Pulling the weeds is impossible, so give up and (althought I don't like using this stuff) kill 'em and thier roots, and maintain doing it till you are ready.

--When you are ready --

2.Rake up all the existing stone, and put it on a tarp or the driveway (so it is easier to shovel up)(shoveling it up now is hard work so you may want to wait until the weather breaks if you want to do this DH/yourself). ((maybe use them in another area (but you can always go over the top of these with a nicer selection of stone, since you don't like the white).

3. Weed the area really well, and pre-spray it with Round-up to kill all the existing weeds and thier roots. Wait a day after spraying for it to have some effect. This will give you a good start to work from.

4. Buy a good weed barrier (not some thin plastic / vinyl sheeting) you will definitely be glad over the years that you did this right. Buy some barrier staples at Home Depot to help hold it down as you spread it out.

4a. Plant any plants you want by cutting through the barrier, or cutting the barrier when you when you install it. Be careful that you bring the barrier all the way around the plants when you're done. You can cut a slit or opening in a 2'x2' piece and then putting it down around your plant to make sure it is done well, the barrier can overlay over the barrier, the stone will weigh it down.

4b. Make sure you don't use any of the existing topsoil in the hole where you plant your new plants (it has poison in it and it can hurt your new plants). Make big enough hole (twice the size of the exiting plant ball, and pack in topsoil an fertilizer in the hole so that it is tight around the roots (air pockets and really loose soil is not good).

4c. Water - Make sure you water!! I usually fill the hole with water before planting as well, and then water immediately after the planting operation again. Continue watering every day for about 30 days (although if it rains you can hold off for that day). What ever type of mulch you use, it will get pretty hot, the heat doesn't bother the plants, but they need to be watered regularly.

5. Now, you can reuse some or all of the existing stone (it would be best if you can remove any dirt and debris - if you do decide to reuse it). Reusing some of the stone will help save you from buying so much of the new stone (color / texture / etc...) that you may choose to use.

6 Place at least 3 inches of stone down (less than that and the weeds will have an easier time growing through).

If you choose shells, you want to do the same thing, but don't need the weed barrier. The shells tend to overlap, and lock in and does a better job than stone as a weed barrier. You also need the weed barrier with stone because of the weight, stone will work its way down into the soil, and it doesn't do that well without the barrier keeping weeds out. If you use mulch you still need to do all the same things that you do with stone, but mulch will overtime break down, and become an organic soil, so you have to replenish and will more likely have to use Round-up. It also will bring bugs of different types, you can buy a bug killer and spray it, but that generally does not work well long term.

Something(s) else to consider
1. If you want to install plant up lights - it can make your house and your landscaping look like a million $$, and it is pretty cheap if you do it now. Buy a photocell to turn it on and a time to turn it off. Run the wire now, and figure out what you want to up-light. Just one or two lights can be run off one circuit and is not costly to operate. (But do this work before you put the new barrier down and do the planting).
2. Irrigation - I recommend that if you are installing serious landscaping, you may want to run some irrigation to water it. Nothing worse than spending thousands on this work, and then watching it die because of lack of water. Maybe consider using some soaker hoses which also can be set up on timers as a less expensive solution.
3. Hire me to inspect - I work for beer! LOL Just kidding.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Good plan and if you decide on mulch, i didn't mention that the eucalyptus mulch is supposed to deter insects (the scent) -- the florimulch has been treated to deter termites, but i can t give you the details on that one. I bought the Eucacalyptus mulch. I know your topic is weeds, but a thought re bugs: we bought two neem trees and planted one near the citrus and the other near our deck/pool. It is a natural deterrent to insects and even rodents (so i am told). Neem oil comes from this tree and is used for many plant and mosquito issues. The owner of crowley's nursery said once the tree is mature it can deter insects as far as a 40' radius.

One more thing--if you used shell for a bed, which i did in one area, remember that it will be hotter. So, really consider very heat/drought tolererant plants. I put a coontie, and some crown of thorns in that bed (a couple of other plants like a variegated ginger and ti had to moved from this spot --way too hot).

Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I hate to mention this, but I know what you are probably dealing with as far as the weeds. I just up-graded my landscaping. Here is what you might consider.

1. Spray Round-up on the weeds until you are ready to redo your garden areas. Pulling the weeds is impossible, so give up and (althought I don't like using this stuff) kill 'em and thier roots, and maintain doing it till you are ready.

--When you are ready --

2.Rake up all the existing stone, and put it on a tarp or the driveway (so it is easier to shovel up)(shoveling it up now is hard work so you may want to wait until the weather breaks if you want to do this DH/yourself). ((maybe use them in another area (but you can always go over the top of these with a nicer selection of stone, since you don't like the white).

3. Weed the area really well, and pre-spray it with Round-up to kill all the existing weeds and thier roots. Wait a day after spraying for it to have some effect. This will give you a good start to work from.

4. Buy a good weed barrier (not some thin plastic / vinyl sheeting) you will definitely be glad over the years that you did this right. Buy some barrier staples at Home Depot to help hold it down as you spread it out.

4a. Plant any plants you want by cutting through the barrier, or cutting the barrier when you when you install it. Be careful that you bring the barrier all the way around the plants when you're done. You can cut a slit or opening in a 2'x2' piece and then putting it down around your plant to make sure it is done well, the barrier can overlay over the barrier, the stone will weigh it down.

4b. Make sure you don't use any of the existing topsoil in the hole where you plant your new plants (it has poison in it and it can hurt your new plants). Make big enough hole (twice the size of the exiting plant ball, and pack in topsoil an fertilizer in the hole so that it is tight around the roots (air pockets and really loose soil is not good).

4c. Water - Make sure you water!! I usually fill the hole with water before planting as well, and then water immediately after the planting operation again. Continue watering every day for about 30 days (although if it rains you can hold off for that day). What ever type of mulch you use, it will get pretty hot, the heat doesn't bother the plants, but they need to be watered regularly.

5. Now, you can reuse some or all of the existing stone (it would be best if you can remove any dirt and debris - if you do decide to reuse it). Reusing some of the stone will help save you from buying so much of the new stone (color / texture / etc...) that you may choose to use.

6 Place at least 3 inches of stone down (less than that and the weeds will have an easier time growing through).

If you choose shells, you want to do the same thing, but don't need the weed barrier. The shells tend to overlap, and lock in and does a better job than stone as a weed barrier. You also need the weed barrier with stone because of the weight, stone will work its way down into the soil, and it doesn't do that well without the barrier keeping weeds out. If you use mulch you still need to do all the same things that you do with stone, but mulch will overtime break down, and become an organic soil, so you have to replenish and will more likely have to use Round-up. It also will bring bugs of different types, you can buy a bug killer and spray it, but that generally does not work well long term.

Something(s) else to consider
1. If you want to install plant up lights - it can make your house and your landscaping look like a million $$, and it is pretty cheap if you do it now. Buy a photocell to turn it on and a time to turn it off. Run the wire now, and figure out what you want to up-light. Just one or two lights can be run off one circuit and is not costly to operate. (But do this work before you put the new barrier down and do the planting).
2. Irrigation - I recommend that if you are installing serious landscaping, you may want to run some irrigation to water it. Nothing worse than spending thousands on this work, and then watching it die because of lack of water. Maybe consider using some soaker hoses which also can be set up on timers as a less expensive solution.
3. Hire me to inspect - I work for beer! LOL Just kidding.
The only thing I'd disagree with is the shells. I'd still put the weed block down even with them. The prior owner here shelled a large section of the yard and driveway without weed block, and I've spent years fighting the weeds out of it.

Which brings me to the next item: Roundup ... don't be tempted to buy the cheaper stuff it's just not worth it. I've probably tried every brand they sell at Home Depot, and none of them work like Roundup does.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The only thing I'd disagree with is the shells. I'd still put the weed block down even with them. The prior owner here shelled a large section of the yard and driveway without weed block, and I've spent years fighting the weeds out of it.

Which brings me to the next item: Roundup ... don't be tempted to buy the cheaper stuff it's just not worth it. I've probably tried every brand they sell at Home Depot, and none of them work like Roundup does.
Whew!! I'm glad someone disagreed with me!! I was afraid that I might actually be solicited to help inspect, or actually do something!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,144,497 times
Make sure your mulch is treated. Often people go for untreated as a more cost effective and/or organic option. Untreated mulch is almost always full of termites when it arrives at your house.

Avoid cocoa mulch as it is very toxic to dogs. It smells appetizing to dogs and they are drawn to it.

Personally I prefer the stone. Mulch holds moisture and can cause mold if it is a poorly drained area that gets a lot of rain. Mulch will eventually break down and will need to be replaced.

If this were me I might remove the stone, install a weed barrier, mix the existing stone with some of a color that I found more appealing and put it back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area