Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Decades ago many restaurants had langostino on the menu, but now it's very rare to find it on any menu. I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of store or market in Sarasota/Bradenton that sells them, they would probably be frozen, since they are not a locally caught item. They are so good, the taste is between a shrimp and a lobster and I would just love to taste them again! Especially good with garlic butter and served with linguini!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Decades ago many restaurants had langostino on the menu, but now it's very rare to find it on any menu. I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of store or market in Sarasota/Bradenton that sells them, they would probably be frozen, since they are not a locally caught item. They are so good, the taste is between a shrimp and a lobster and I would just love to taste them again! Especially good with garlic butter and served with linguini!
I remember when Red Lobster had them several years ago and that is all that I would order when I was there,absolutely delicious! I have not seen them offered anywhere in quite some time.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Publix used to have them in the Frozen fish area. Aren't they a shrimp from Chili?

Last edited by Ken E; 09-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Publix used to have them in the Frozen fish area. Aren't they a shrimp from Chili?
There is always confusion about what they actually are. What I am looking for are the small crustaceans called langostino, they are usually referred to as tiny or baby lobsters. They are sometimes called shrimp or prawns but they taste more like lobster, only more tender and delicious.

Ken, I have never seen any at any Publix where I shop, including the big flagship store that I go to. But maybe I will ask if they will order. Several years ago when I was living in another town, I asked the seafood manager and she said they could order from me, the only problem was I had to order quite a volume because they had a minimum order they had to place. It might be worth it though, crab and lobster are my favorite foods, but langostino tops them all! yummy!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Shells Seafood Restaurant Tampa Florida

Shells restaurant in Tampa has them on their pasta menu, you may try calling their establishment, perhaps they will tell you where you may purchase them.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Langostino is delicious. It is more of a crab than anything else, but it hardly matters how you classify it. There have been some minor controversies about the classification, yielding truth-in-advertising suits, etc.

For reasons I cannot identify, the only time I saw langostino on a lot of menus was when I lived in Connecticut. Maybe it's because they are prevalent in the Long Island Sound, I do not know. Many places sold them as a once-a-week special, i.e. "Fridays: Langostinos!!" They were usually sold as a sandwich, almost like a po boy.

I NEVER see them on menus here, and really do not expect to.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
trader joe's has them frozen i think. are there any trader joe's by you?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
trader joe's has them frozen i think. are there any trader joe's by you?
Sadly, no Trader Joe's in Florida. I had heard they sell them frozen.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Well, good and bad news.

Good - I FOUND SOME, YEAH!!!

Bad news - had to pay an ungodly price for them.

I found them at Whole Foods, wild caught, pre-cooked and frozen, in a bag. Ten ounces for.........................$17.99!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

I imagine these are the same ones that TJ's sells for many $$$ cheaper....

Oh well, I only bought them today because this is my birthday month and I am splurging a little. I won't be paying that price again, though. I am going to check and see if Fresh Market has them. FM is a little expensive as well, but not nearly as bad as Whole Paycheck - man that store is really, really expensive. They do have some nice goodies, but some is the same as at Publix only costs a lot more.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM

477 posts, read 987,072 times
Trader Joe's really needs to make the move down here. My sister brought me some of my favorites when she came to visit but I do miss the frozen section!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area