U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM

151 posts, read 353,469 times
Question Where to sell / Estate furniture

My Aunt passed away and left my 86 yr old mother her belongings. She had some Kittenger furniture pieces. Need to get them out of the house so it can be sold.
Does anyone know who can contact for free appraisals? She does want to sell them. The pcs are in Englewood but believe would have more luck in Sarasota getting best price for them. ??
Don't really have enough stuff for an Estate sale, I know you can hire people to do this. Not sure she wants to put them on consignment either.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing recently?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM

593 posts, read 1,206,364 times
The Sarasota Auction Gallery* - Home

I don't know anything about this company but the funny thing is they are located near Englewood in Nokomis. Now I'm interested to go the auction lol. :-)

And I don't need any furniture, too much as it is.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM

14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
I am from DFW area and have been to some of the resale shops around Venice with my daughter when she was looking for furniture to use in their condo they are trying to rent...most of what she was shopping for was good quality second hand furniture--not anything of an "antique" value

so I Googled Kittinger (it is really spelled KITTINGER FYI)
and found these sites first try
Americana Furniture and Interiors: About Us
Americana Furniture and Interiors: Items For Sale

Elmwood Company - We specialize in pre-owned Kittinger furniture. Kittinger Colonial Williamsburg

1stdibs Furniture Search: Kittinger - 44 Kittinger pieces for sale

there are no prices on their sites of course
you might call to see if anyone would give you the name of reputable dealer in your area or might be willing to give suggestion as to market value--which I am sure depends greatly on where you are and who is buying...

good luck
you just need to show what a ball park price is for something like this or you won't get fair treatment--if you send something to auction you should have a reserve price that makes your "bottom" which is a fair/not inflated price for the piece...
you don't want to give these away because you don't know what the market will bear...

you should also check out Ebay--there are some reputable dealers with quality antiques who post there...
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
there are prices here and I think they are likely to be fairly representative of what a market price would be
there are people who shop Ebay and have things shipped all over the US
maybe there is someone in your area who hosts an EBAY site and would take the listing--but they usually charge a LOT--more than what I think is fair for minimal services in my experience--
but your pieces might be similar to those posted and give you a starting point

good luck

Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,025,356 times
Unfortunately in this market you may not get what you want for it. But another suggestion would be to list it on Craigslist. That way, someone that wants to purchase the furniture can also arrange to come and get it. If you used EBAY you would probably be responsible for shipping it. You can list if for what you want, but be prepared to negotiate.

Another option would be to contact some auction houses. They will come and get it, and sell it for you. They may even buy some things in lots (boxes of miscellaneous things) that will fetch a price more as a group than they would as individual items.

Don't forget that some of your relatives may want to purchase a few pieces that have some sentimental value, even though it was all left to your mother. Selling or letting them have some of the items may soften their loss, and ease the jealousy that sometimes lies under the surface, that you may not even be aware of.

Good Luck.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 AM

good point about the family issues...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]

Sarasota Buy Sell Trade[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]6398 NORTH LOCKWOOD RIDGE ROAD
SARASOTA, FL, 34243[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]CALL US: 941-355-4297[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]Honest FREE Estimates !![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]WE BUY ANTIQUES, COLLECTIBLES, FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY, ETC...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]FREE MERCHANDISE PICK UP[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=5]We buy it all to save you the hassle !![/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 09-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotaBST View Post
SARASOTA BUY SELL & TRADE - ANTIQUES, CHINA, ART,POTTERY, GENTLY USED FURNITURE, ETC...
We buy it all.
SARASOTA BUY SELL TRADE
6398 NORTH LOCKWOOD RIDGE ROAD
SARASOTA, FL, 34243
Honest FREE Estimates !
Free Merchandise Pick Up !

Oh Sure!
Or you can call Scammers-R-Us and let them browse through your home, and after we are done insulting you, they can throw out some low-ball numbers for you to think about. HONEST!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM

239 posts, read 188,249 times
I am in the furniture consignment business in PA. Personally I would not go the Craigslist route with a large furniture item. Whenever I have sold anything on craigslist, it has been a portable item so I can meet the person in a public place(I have a post office very near me) and am sure to have someone else with me. Bringing people that you don't know into your home is not a good idea in my opinion.
You should do some research as others have suggested to get a baseline on pricing, and yes realize that the market is not good right now(as with so many other things). This would be good if you want to sell at auction as well. realize that there are fees involved with this as well.
Also realize that when you look prices up on ebay you have to do Advance Search and click on completed listings. This will show you what sold(in green) and what didn't(in red). that gives you a much better idea of what people are actually buying. if you are someone who has not sold on ebay before, this would not be something you would want to get involved with for a first time sale there.
Also realize that if you do get an appraisal from someone, that is not the person you should also be selling it to. There are appraisers who will low-ball you so they themselves can buy it cheaply.
My suggestion would be to do some research on pricing online for the pieces you have, then either deal with an auction house or a consignment store. Remember that anyone who would be buying to re-sell will probably offer you less than half of the actual value.
It can be very time consuming to sell belongings of a deceased relative especially when the items must be gone within a time limit due to sale of the home. It can be overwhelming at times and seem to never end. Take a breath and make the best decision you can, because really, not being an expert that's all you can do. Just realize that many things will not be sold at what you think. Good Luck and I hope this helps somewhat!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

that was helpful post--thanks TRBL39

Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM

That was a good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area