Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,572,942 times

Advertisements

I heard a story on the Terri Gross program yesterday on my local/DFW PBS radio station but she is nationwide so some of you might have heard it as well...
she had on a man who teaches about Urban Pests (rats/roaches/bed bugs, etc) at univerisity back east and who was the head technology guy (bug killer) for the largest exterminator company (I guess Orkin)

They were discussing bedbugs return to American lifestyle--
there have been stories about that phenom in the past 3-4 yrs in isolated instances but now it seems that bedbugs are making every one's media list...

the man was very low-key but basically said that bedbugs are here to stay--that our generation (those after WWII) is probably the last one to live in what could be termed "pest free" society...that the best (only) bedbug killer was taken off the market by EPA and the ones replacing it are weak sisters at killing and preventing infestations of bed bugs...
that people are going to have to adjust to a New World of having nature intrude more into our daily lives from now on...

He said that people get very traumatized if they have suffered from infestation of bed bugs--more so that minor incidents warrent--so he thought some of this was media hype and overkill although he knows how disgusting most people find bedbugs and contamination by them...
that right now bedbugs are not know to transfer any diseases or transmit any diseases to humans after biting/sucking their blood...

my husband travels sometimes on business so I was concerned for him
and my SIL who travels ALL the time for business
I was told about this site

Bedbug Registry

checked the hotel my husband was supposed to stay tonight and BINGO--it is on the list--one reported incident--
then he got unrelated call from someone he works with whose family lives in the town he is traveling to--that guy's brother said the hotel was damaged by large party staying there some time ago and has not really been refurbished since...think it was college group...anyway he will be changing his hotel when he gets to the office...

I know that some people on this site will stay in hotels for vacation or while they are looking for home...
just a heads up...
FL has enough critters to worry about w/o adding bedbugs to your list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 AM

17,477 posts, read 38,898,722 times
It's enough to make one want to bring a sleeping bag when they travel.... I already get creeped out sleeping on hotel/motel beds. No telling what kind of cooties are left behind by the previous occupants.....

Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 AM

there are some sites that sell what is similar--a silk-type sack to crawl into and pull the purse strings close around your shoulders
but that does not protect your suitcase/clothing

one report I read from someone who travels a lot for business said that she keeps trash bag in outside pocket of her suitcase--put the suitcase in it when she comes into the room and takes it to bathroom counter--then does investigation around the bed and other areas of the room where she has discovered them before--with a flashlight so she can see well in dark corners...

so that is what I did for my husband--put trash bag and flashlight in his outside pocket and told him what to do
we also went to Walgreen's last night and bought some spray stuff called Pronto Plus that is supposed to be effective for killing bed bugs
he is going to look and not stay if he sees any--but he is going to spray around the bed's headboard/legs--and like underneath the dust ruffle/bed skirt if there is one
over kill maybe but I don't want him bitten or to bring any home...
UGH!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM

477 posts, read 984,161 times
I saw on the news a couple weeks ago that a movie theater in NYC was closed down for bed bugs.... and now I'm worried about other places like airplanes and such.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 AM

from listing to the radio show I guess that the right answer is not to be paranoid but to be vigilant--if you understand the difference...
NPR Media Player

that is the link to the Fresh Air program I heard--interesting--and like I said the guy was pretty matter of fact--
the fact to realize is that some place does not become infested like that movie theater overnight--
even bedbugs can't reproduce as fast as that...
but most places have not been very seriously looking for them or once they were reported containing/eradicating them...
it can be done but it is very expensive
and they able to move fairly easily between bldgs/rooms and they can live for so long w/o feeding that they just wait people out...
getting a few on you at a movie theater does not pose nearly the threat that someone having an infested apt next to yours and doing nothing to stop them would be...

Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's enough to make one want to bring a sleeping bag when they travel.... I already get creeped out sleeping on hotel/motel beds. No telling what kind of cooties are left behind by the previous occupants.....
After I saw that TV show exposing Hotels and Motels for having *GASP!* semen stains on the bedspreads, carpets and phones..... I decided we needed an RV of our own. No filth or bugs from other people. It's our own little rolling motel room. And of course no bedbugs, roaches or other gross critters getting into our stuff.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,849,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If a room has bed bugs, chances are they'll crawl into your sleeping bag too if you stay there for a few days.

I know this is becoming a problem, but I'd be more concerned about using a bedspread or blanket in a hotel. Keep in mind that the same mattress pad and covers are used over and over, since only the sheets are changed.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM

depends on the hotel
I have been in ones where all the bed linen--not the coverlet or the dust ruffle/pillow shams were changed--including sheets and mattress pads...
but I usually paid more in those hotels...and I understand that doing something like that does add to the time and cost to change a room...

and while buying an RV for your personal travel might work for YOU, it is not really a solution for most of the people who travel--certainly not for my SIL who is a real road-warrior--going out Sunday evening and coming in on Friday afternoons (hopefully) and working in locations that are 7 states away at times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area